General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

First run!!! Advice sought.

Started by Tom Archer · · Last activity · 25 posts · 573 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
7 September 2004
Last activity
13 September 2004
Original author
Tom Archer
Posts
25
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
573
Views / 30 days
3

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–25 of 25
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Daniel said:
    Phil M. said:
    Daniel said:

    Common opinion that seems to be true anyway: get plenty to eat and
    plenty of sleep two nights before the race. So if you're running
    Sunday morning, the time to "carbo load" is Friday night, followed by
    good rest on Friday - Saturday. Just a half dose of your usual
    morning coffee race morning if that's your habit.

    Carbo loading for a 5K?

    Phil M.

    Sure! Yeah, hee hee -- "Look at me being just like a real runner!"

    See, I've got the shirt, short, and shoes, I can talk the talk, and I can
    even jog the run! 🙂

    (It's a beginning runner thing.)

    If it works for you... But I'm just wondering what the advantage would be
    to carbo load for a distance that doesn't require dipping into your
    gylcogen stores.

    Phil M.

    --
    "Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make
    them all yourself." ­Martin Vanbee

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Phil M. said:

    If it works for you... But I'm just wondering what the advantage would be
    to carbo load for a distance that doesn't require dipping into your
    gylcogen stores.

    Well, it's probably better for him than a big plate of fried chicken,
    and it might help him psychologically. Or maybe he has a 100-mile bike
    ride to get to the 5k race?

    --Harold Buck

    "I used to rock and roll all night,
    and party every day.
    Then it was every other day. . . ."
    -Homer J. Simpson

  3. On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:24:17 -0500, Harold Buck <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Phil M. said:

    If it works for you... But I'm just wondering what the advantage would be
    to carbo load for a distance that doesn't require dipping into your
    gylcogen stores.

    Well, it's probably better for him than a big plate of fried chicken,
    and it might help him psychologically. Or maybe he has a 100-mile bike
    ride to get to the 5k race?

    --Harold Buck

    . . .

    Pardon my giggly fit last week (must have been the heat). No, no 100-mile
    bike ride. I think what was in the back of my mind was what would be the
    negative effects of a big indigestible meal the night before. Seems like
    when I hear people talking/joking about "carbo loading" it always ends up
    being carbo-fat-loading: doughnuts, fried chicken, ice cream, sausage
    pizza, etc. But whatever the content of the meal, I just hate trying to
    move when my insides feel like a boa constrictor that's just had his
    monthly meal.

    --
    Daniel
    [email hidden]

  4. On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:24:17 -0500, Harold Buck <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Phil M. said:

    If it works for you... But I'm just wondering what the advantage would be
    to carbo load for a distance that doesn't require dipping into your
    gylcogen stores.

    Well, it's probably better for him than a big plate of fried chicken,
    and it might help him psychologically. Or maybe he has a 100-mile bike
    ride to get to the 5k race?

    --Harold Buck

    . . .

    Pardon my giggly fit last week (must have been the heat). No, no 100-mile
    bike ride. I think what was in the back of my mind was what would be the
    negative effects of a big indigestible meal the night before. Seems like
    when I hear people talking/joking about "carbo loading" it always ends up
    being carbo-fat-loading: doughnuts, fried chicken, ice cream, sausage
    pizza, etc. But whatever the content of the meal, I just hate trying to
    move when my insides feel like a boa constrictor that's just had his
    monthly meal.

    --
    Daniel
    [email hidden]

  5. << But whatever the content of the meal, I just hate trying to
    move when my insides feel like a boa constrictor that's just had his
    monthly meal. >>

    great description! on the other hand, against current wisdom, i prefer larger
    meals once a day, rather than many small. camel style.

    \\ - - //
    ( @ @ )
    +--------oOOo-(_)--oOOo----+
    +------------------------Oooo----+

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.