First time bike builder: play between the fork and frame, what to do?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by sittingduck, Jul 17, 2004.

  1. sittingduck

    sittingduck Guest

    mike anderson wrote:

    > The problem is that there is a play between the suspension fork (SR
    > Suntour) and the frame, I estimate it to about a 4 mm play. What could
    > be done about it, are thicker ball rings the solution?

    Buy the proper parts for the bike.

    --
    7/16/2004
    10:46 AM [GMT-8]

    Tags:

  2. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "mike anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I am building my first bike ever, a mountain bike and, since this is a
    > learning experience, I am using mostly inexpensive used parts together
    > with a Crescent aluminum frame.
    >
    > The problem is that there is a play between the suspension fork (SR
    > Suntour) and the frame, I estimate it to about a 4 mm play. What could
    > be done about it, are thicker ball rings the solution?
    >
    > Any help would be most appreciated, thanks,
    > mike

    I'm not sure what you mean by "ball rings". I'm guessing ball bearings in a
    "cage". If the frame & fork were not originally assembled together, then
    perhaps you have a compatibility problem. The "headset" is the set of 2
    bearings that the fork swivels on. The frame has "cups" pressed into the top
    and bottom of the "headtube". The fork has a "crown race" pressed on to the
    "steer tube". You may have a mismatch between the crown race and bottom cup.
    You may also be putting one or both of the "ball rings" upside down. Just
    guessing...

  3. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Peter Cole wrote:

    > I'm not sure what you mean by "ball rings".

    {opens mouth to say something, but...nah!}

    Bill "rare restraint" S.

  4. I am building my first bike ever, a mountain bike and, since this is a
    learning experience, I am using mostly inexpensive used parts together
    with a Crescent aluminum frame.

    The problem is that there is a play between the suspension fork (SR
    Suntour) and the frame, I estimate it to about a 4 mm play. What could
    be done about it, are thicker ball rings the solution?

    Any help would be most appreciated, thanks,
    mike

  5. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "mike anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Quoth Peter Cole ...
    >
    > >I'm not sure what you mean by "ball rings". I'm guessing ball bearings in a
    > >"cage". If the frame & fork were not originally assembled together, then
    > >perhaps you have a compatibility problem. The "headset" is the set of 2
    > >bearings that the fork swivels on. The frame has "cups" pressed into the

    top
    > >and bottom of the "headtube". The fork has a "crown race" pressed on to the
    > >"steer tube". You may have a mismatch between the crown race and bottom

    cup.
    > >You may also be putting one or both of the "ball rings" upside down. Just
    > >guessing...
    > >

    > Thanks for helping.
    >
    > I guess that I did not describe my problem very well. What I meant
    > with "ball rings" was indeed: the headset. I realize know that I might
    > have get a new suspension fork which steerer better fits the head
    > tube. I thought that there were standards so that you could use most
    > forks with most head tubes ...

    Yes, pretty much so. The current standard fork has a 1.125" steerer, some
    older ones had 1". That may be your problem, or it may be that you have parts
    from 2 different headsets, where the "crown race" pressed on the fork (is
    actually part of -- and sold with -- the headset assembly) is not compatible
    with the cups on the frame (perhaps part of a different headset). It may *not*
    be that you need a new fork, it may be that you need a new headset. If your
    frame and fork weren't originally mated, or you buy a new fork with a
    different diameter, you'll need a new headset anyway. Cups and crown races
    aren't interchangeable, even if the steer tube diameter is the same -- even if
    the manufacturer is the same (speaking from experience here).

    > Thanks again,
    > mike

  6. SuperSlinky

    SuperSlinky Guest

    mike anderson said...

    > By the way, you don't happen to know what size of steerer I need; The
    > diameter of the head tube - outer edges of the upper head race, not
    > inside the full head tube so to say - is 35 mm or 1 3/8 inch? My
    > steerer have an outer dimension of 1 1/8 inch. Perhaps a 1 1/4 steerer
    > would work?
    >
    > Thanks
    > mike

    Stupid question: did you install the crown race?

  7. Quoth Peter Cole ...

    >I'm not sure what you mean by "ball rings". I'm guessing ball bearings in a
    >"cage". If the frame & fork were not originally assembled together, then
    >perhaps you have a compatibility problem. The "headset" is the set of 2
    >bearings that the fork swivels on. The frame has "cups" pressed into the top
    >and bottom of the "headtube". The fork has a "crown race" pressed on to the
    >"steer tube". You may have a mismatch between the crown race and bottom cup.
    >You may also be putting one or both of the "ball rings" upside down. Just
    >guessing...

    Thanks for helping.

    I guess that I did not describe my problem very well. What I meant
    with "ball rings" was indeed: the headset. I realize know that I might
    have get a new suspension fork which steerer better fits the head
    tube. I thought that there were standards so that you could use most
    forks with most head tubes ...

    Thanks again,
    mike

  8. Quoth Peter Cole ...