Fitting Magura rim brakes to bike without bosses.

Andrew W

Guest
I note that SJS cycles have a bracket which I presume is for this
(http://tinyurl.com/g8np3).

I am planning to add HS11 brakes to my Brompton to sidestep problems
with poor braking (ends of cables point up at the brake, so water gets
in and causes problems, poor cable routing). A hydraulic brake looks
like a good solution.

Does anyone have any experience with these brackets? I can't find any
information about them other than the picure on the URL above.

I notice that the Magura site doesn't list them, so presumably they are
NOS items, does this indicate any problems leading to them being
discontinued?

The fork I want to use them with is quite narrow (Brompton front wheels
are 90mm OLN), is this likely to cause any problems?

I presume the measurement is the drop from the mounting bolt to the
bosses?

Andrew

"Andrew W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I note that SJS cycles have a bracket which I presume is for this
> (http://tinyurl.com/g8np3).
>
> I am planning to add HS11 brakes to my Brompton to sidestep problems
> with poor braking (ends of cables point up at the brake, so water gets
> in and causes problems, poor cable routing). A hydraulic brake looks
> like a good solution.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with these brackets? I can't find any
> information about them other than the picure on the URL above.
>
> I notice that the Magura site doesn't list them, so presumably they are
> NOS items, does this indicate any problems leading to them being
> discontinued?
>
> The fork I want to use them with is quite narrow (Brompton front wheels
> are 90mm OLN), is this likely to cause any problems?
>
> I presume the measurement is the drop from the mounting bolt to the
> bosses?
>
> Andrew

This part looks like the bracket I have on my old HS22 and will indeed allow
you to fit to an ordinary bridge bolt.
I am a little unsure if the hose will tolerate all the bending and twisting
involved with the B. Best to contact Magura via their web forum and see
what they say.

SW

"Andrew W" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> I am planning to add HS11 brakes to my Brompton to sidestep
> problems with poor braking (ends of cables point up at the brake,
> so water gets in and causes problems, poor cable routing). A
> hydraulic brake looks like a good solution.

> Does anyone have any experience with these brackets? I can't find
> any information about them other than the picure on the URL above.

I don't have experience with those brackets.

Have you considered having 4-bolt (trials) mounts brazed to the fork and
rear triangle? They're the lightest and most rigid option for mounting
Magurae, and I'd more or less decided on this upgrade prior to the theft of
my own Brompton.

> The fork I want to use them with is quite narrow (Brompton front wheels
> are 90mm OLN), is this likely to cause any problems?

I think the Brompton front hub is narrower still - 74mm if I remember
correctly.

James Thomson

Steve Watkin wrote:
> "Andrew W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >I note that SJS cycles have a bracket which I presume is for this
> > (http://tinyurl.com/g8np3).
> >
> > I am planning to add HS11 brakes to my Brompton to sidestep problems
> > with poor braking (ends of cables point up at the brake, so water gets
> > in and causes problems, poor cable routing). A hydraulic brake looks
> > like a good solution.
> >
> > Does anyone have any experience with these brackets? I can't find any
> > information about them other than the picure on the URL above.
> >
> > I notice that the Magura site doesn't list them, so presumably they are
> > NOS items, does this indicate any problems leading to them being
> > discontinued?
> >
> > The fork I want to use them with is quite narrow (Brompton front wheels
> > are 90mm OLN), is this likely to cause any problems?
> >
> > I presume the measurement is the drop from the mounting bolt to the
> > bosses?
> >
> > Andrew

> This part looks like the bracket I have on my old HS22 and will indeed allow
> you to fit to an ordinary bridge bolt.
> I am a little unsure if the hose will tolerate all the bending and twisting
> involved with the B. Best to contact Magura via their web forum and see
> what they say.
>
> SW

I don't know if the plastic hose will be OK (it might well be), but
Magura also do braided steel tubing which I'm fairly sure would be up
to the job.

Since you have experience of this, can you help with the second part of
my query, how do I measure the bracket length I need? How far below
the rim should I allow for the bracket length?

Andrew

Andrew W wrote:
how do I measure the bracket length I need? How far below
> the rim should I allow for the bracket length?

The vertical dimension is measured centre of mounting hole-centre of
brakeblock

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

M-gineering wrote:

> Andrew W wrote:
> how do I measure the bracket length I need? How far below
> > the rim should I allow for the bracket length?

> The vertical dimension is measured centre of mounting hole-centre of
> brakeblock
>
> --
> ---
> Marten Gerritsen
>
> INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
> www.m-gineering.nl

Thanks, I was thinking it would be down to the brake bosses.

Steve Watkin wrote:

> BTW please let us know how the conversion goes if you go ahead.
> Perhaps post the result on [email protected]
> E-mail Address(es):
> [email protected]

Well, I've done it.

Magura "A" type U bracket (from SJS cycles) fits to the Brompton nicely
(once I'd worked out that the little plastic wedges at the bottom back
edge needed to be rotated ninety degrees to brace against the forks.

The rest was very straightforward. I've transferred my HS33's for the
time being. I've only had time for a short test trip, but the braking
is now incomparably better than with the old Brompton brakes.

I've not clipped the hose to the frame, and organised it so that it
curves in a wide loop when the bike is folded - only time will tell
whether this aspect will prove satisfactory (i.e. if the hose is up to
it).

I don't fold it that often anyway. Last weekends 50 mile out trip
followed by return in a car is more typical of the sort of riding I do
on it (though usually 20-30 miles rather than 50).

I'll add more after I've put a few hundred miles on the clock.

Andrew