Five sisters advice

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Chris Gilbert, Feb 21, 2006.

  1. On the plan for the April trip this year. I would be grateful
    for people's views on ...

    Time to traverse
    Preferences for E-W or W-E
    Options for return when only one car
    Personal views on the experience

    TIA

    Chris

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Chris Gilbert wrote:

    [I'm assuming we mean "of Kintail"]

    > Time to traverse

    Can't remember, but did it in December with a not particularly fast or
    experienced crew and we didn't need torches.

    > Preferences for E-W or W-E

    Have done it both ways, and both work well. If you start at the West
    end you're starting pretty much at sea level so it's a bit more ascent,
    though OTOH you've got a bit less steep descent. Neither significant
    day-blighters for most, though if you do suffer particularly on steep
    ups or downs maybe something to bear in mind.

    > Options for return when only one car

    The road is a main road, so even though it's a remote main road your
    thumb should see you back to the car without waiting all day.

    > Personal views on the experience

    Superb.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  3. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "Chris Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On the plan for the April trip this year. I would be grateful
    > for people's views on ...
    >
    > Time to traverse
    > Preferences for E-W or W-E
    > Options for return when only one car
    > Personal views on the experience

    "Options for return when only one car." Get the driver to park down at Glen
    Shiel or car park near finish after dropping off passengers at Clunie.
    Then catch the first Bus up to Clunie ( about 9:30am from G Shiel) and meet
    them to start walk.

    J Smith

  4. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    John Smith wrote:

    >"Chris Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> On the plan for the April trip this year. I would be grateful
    >> for people's views on ...
    >>
    >> Time to traverse
    >> Preferences for E-W or W-E
    >> Options for return when only one car
    >> Personal views on the experience

    >"Options for return when only one car." Get the driver to park down at Glen
    >Shiel or car park near finish after dropping off passengers at Clunie.
    >Then catch the first Bus up to Clunie ( about 9:30am from G Shiel) and meet
    >them to start walk.

    Well that would be good for the South Cluanie ridge but the OP wants
    to do the Five Sisters. I know a way of avoiding the road and any
    car-bus shuttles that involves walking in via Gleann Lichd.

    April is well into the longer day phase of the calendar so you are
    unlikely to need any torches. The thing is to pick a good day and take
    your time. Drinking in the views is part of any walk around there,
    time it right and you can watch the sun go down from near the last
    sister and still get down by twilight.

  5. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > John Smith wrote:

    <snip>>
    > Well that would be good for the South Cluanie ridge but the OP wants
    > to do the Five Sisters. I know a way of avoiding the road and any
    > car-bus shuttles that involves walking in via Gleann Lichd.

    And can be used for the other ridge & has been.

    J Smith

  6. Theo

    Theo Guest

    "Chris Gilbert" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]
    > On the plan for the April trip this year. I would be grateful
    > for people's views on ...
    >
    > Time to traverse
    > Preferences for E-W or W-E
    > Options for return when only one car
    > Personal views on the experience

    Do you want to do a daytrip or do you have more time to spend ?
    One of my plans for the future is to do the South and North Glen Shiel ridge
    in 5 days. Before I start I'll sleep and park at the GS YH. My route will be
    anti-clockwise. First up Coire nan Crogachan to reach the ridge to The
    Saddle and the Forcan Ridge, up sgurr na Sgine and ESE along the ridge and
    at the end turning north to the Cluanie Inn for a decent meal. Then E and N
    to start at Carn Ghluasaid and following the ridge to the west, including
    the outlying Munros north of the ridge. A total 95 km with height ascended
    8712 m (almost Everest). Estimated time 35 hrs.. I'll make it a 5 day trip.

    --
    "Beannachd leibh"

    Theo
    www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

  7. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    "Chris Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On the plan for the April trip this year. I would be grateful
    > for people's views on ...
    >
    > Time to traverse
    > Preferences for E-W or W-E
    > Options for return when only one car
    > Personal views on the experience
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Chris

    Depends what you consider to be the Five Sisters ridge, Spaniards to
    Saighead ? or the full tour, Ciste Dhubh to Morvich.

    I have been in these hills many times, done from the Glen Shiel side
    involves a bit of a slog up unrelenting steep slopes above a noisey
    intrusive road.

    The Gleann Lichd side is far more rewarding. The following link shows my
    pictures doing the route starting and finnishing in Morvich
    http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/hillwalking/index.htm
    and follow link to Five Sisters (about 4th down)

  8. On 21 Feb 2006 06:18:36 -0800, "Chris Gilbert"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Time to traverse
    >Preferences for E-W or W-E
    >Options for return when only one car
    >Personal views on the experience

    As others have said, start from the western end and walk up Glen
    Lichd, then back along the ridge. Avoids the problem of getting back
    without a spare car. Takes you along the ridge E-W which IMO is
    better, as you're looking out to sea.

    We did it last March, when staying at Glen Lichd House. Some photos
    here
    http://www.climbing.me.uk/Kintail/FiveSisters/index.html
    from which you can see that we left the hut at about 10 past 8, and
    got back sometime just before 6, so a good 9 1/2 or 10 hours. It
    could be done a fair bit quicker, but what's the point!

    The previous time I did it, I walked up to the col by Saileag, the
    usual slog from the road, along the ridge to Morvich, then along the
    road to the Shiel Bridge campsite, from where the nice people in the
    tent next to mine offered me a lift back up the glen.

    The Glen Lichd approach is a lot better in every way.

    Have fun

    Simon

    --
    Oppose ID cards and the database state