Five sisters advice

Chris Gilbert

Guest
On the plan for the April trip this year. I would be grateful
for people's views on ...

Time to traverse
Preferences for E-W or W-E
Options for return when only one car
Personal views on the experience

TIA

Chris

Chris Gilbert wrote:

[I'm assuming we mean "of Kintail"]

> Time to traverse

Can't remember, but did it in December with a not particularly fast or
experienced crew and we didn't need torches.

> Preferences for E-W or W-E

Have done it both ways, and both work well. If you start at the West
end you're starting pretty much at sea level so it's a bit more ascent,
though OTOH you've got a bit less steep descent. Neither significant
day-blighters for most, though if you do suffer particularly on steep
ups or downs maybe something to bear in mind.

> Options for return when only one car

The road is a main road, so even though it's a remote main road your
thumb should see you back to the car without waiting all day.

> Personal views on the experience

Superb.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"Chris Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On the plan for the April trip this year. I would be grateful
> for people's views on ...
>
> Time to traverse
> Preferences for E-W or W-E
> Options for return when only one car
> Personal views on the experience

"Options for return when only one car." Get the driver to park down at Glen
Shiel or car park near finish after dropping off passengers at Clunie.
Then catch the first Bus up to Clunie ( about 9:30am from G Shiel) and meet
them to start walk.

J Smith

John Smith wrote:

>"Chris Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On the plan for the April trip this year. I would be grateful
>> for people's views on ...
>>
>> Time to traverse
>> Preferences for E-W or W-E
>> Options for return when only one car
>> Personal views on the experience

>"Options for return when only one car." Get the driver to park down at Glen
>Shiel or car park near finish after dropping off passengers at Clunie.
>Then catch the first Bus up to Clunie ( about 9:30am from G Shiel) and meet
>them to start walk.

Well that would be good for the South Cluanie ridge but the OP wants
to do the Five Sisters. I know a way of avoiding the road and any
car-bus shuttles that involves walking in via Gleann Lichd.

April is well into the longer day phase of the calendar so you are
unlikely to need any torches. The thing is to pick a good day and take
your time. Drinking in the views is part of any walk around there,
time it right and you can watch the sun go down from near the last
sister and still get down by twilight.

"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> John Smith wrote:

<snip>>
> Well that would be good for the South Cluanie ridge but the OP wants
> to do the Five Sisters. I know a way of avoiding the road and any
> car-bus shuttles that involves walking in via Gleann Lichd.

And can be used for the other ridge & has been.

J Smith

"Chris Gilbert" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> On the plan for the April trip this year. I would be grateful
> for people's views on ...
>
> Time to traverse
> Preferences for E-W or W-E
> Options for return when only one car
> Personal views on the experience

Do you want to do a daytrip or do you have more time to spend ?
One of my plans for the future is to do the South and North Glen Shiel ridge
in 5 days. Before I start I'll sleep and park at the GS YH. My route will be
anti-clockwise. First up Coire nan Crogachan to reach the ridge to The
Saddle and the Forcan Ridge, up sgurr na Sgine and ESE along the ridge and
at the end turning north to the Cluanie Inn for a decent meal. Then E and N
to start at Carn Ghluasaid and following the ridge to the west, including
the outlying Munros north of the ridge. A total 95 km with height ascended
8712 m (almost Everest). Estimated time 35 hrs.. I'll make it a 5 day trip.

--
"Beannachd leibh"

Theo
www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

"Chris Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On the plan for the April trip this year. I would be grateful
> for people's views on ...
>
> Time to traverse
> Preferences for E-W or W-E
> Options for return when only one car
> Personal views on the experience
>
> TIA
>
> Chris

Depends what you consider to be the Five Sisters ridge, Spaniards to
Saighead ? or the full tour, Ciste Dhubh to Morvich.

I have been in these hills many times, done from the Glen Shiel side
involves a bit of a slog up unrelenting steep slopes above a noisey
intrusive road.

The Gleann Lichd side is far more rewarding. The following link shows my
pictures doing the route starting and finnishing in Morvich
http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/hillwalking/index.htm
and follow link to Five Sisters (about 4th down)

On 21 Feb 2006 06:18:36 -0800, "Chris Gilbert"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Time to traverse
>Preferences for E-W or W-E
>Options for return when only one car
>Personal views on the experience

As others have said, start from the western end and walk up Glen
Lichd, then back along the ridge. Avoids the problem of getting back
without a spare car. Takes you along the ridge E-W which IMO is
better, as you're looking out to sea.

We did it last March, when staying at Glen Lichd House. Some photos
here
http://www.climbing.me.uk/Kintail/FiveSisters/index.html
from which you can see that we left the hut at about 10 past 8, and
got back sometime just before 6, so a good 9 1/2 or 10 hours. It
could be done a fair bit quicker, but what's the point!

The previous time I did it, I walked up to the col by Saileag, the
usual slog from the road, along the ridge to Morvich, then along the
road to the Shiel Bridge campsite, from where the nice people in the
tent next to mine offered me a lift back up the glen.

The Glen Lichd approach is a lot better in every way.

Have fun

Simon

--
Oppose ID cards and the database state