John B wrote: > However as it has the same threading as the sprocket its use is limited.
It's up to you, but personally, I wouldn't chance it. Chain coming off, sprocket unscrewing etc. at speed on a fixie is supposed to be an interesting [1] event, and a new track hub and spokes are cheap compared to new skin.
Quoted message said:
[1] For several bloody and painful values of interesting.
I rode a couple of winters with a fixed on a seven speed freewheel hub without a lockring - except as a spacer. The sprocket gets screwed on /very/ tightly by riding and you can put a lot of back pressure on it. You are never likely to want to put enough pressure on it to cause it to unscrew. I once had a chain jump off due to bad chainline and a cheap sprocket.
You're me you are. Except I've ridden like it for must be five years.
Quoted message said:
For a drop handlebar machine fit two brakes; you are going to want two hoods to ride on.
For a drop handlebar machine fit two brakes; you are going to want two hoods to ride on.
When I was a lad we rode one-brake fixies with a second hood on the other side (i.e. a brake lever without the lever bit) - looked pretty cool and gave you that "balanced look"
A lockring is the opposite thread (lefthanded) and slightly less diameter than the sprocket thread, otherwise how does it go on. I don't know of any 'lockrings' suitable for the sprocket threads
whether it is effective is open to debate, but any LH bracket cup lockring will fit.
It is effective. That's how the sprocket is mounted on by fixed tricycle. Many moons ago, the chain broke and wrapped itself around the sprocket until it jammed. The wheel locked and I slid to a atop. The sprocket and lock ring remained tightly done up. I fact, I don't really know why it's traditional to have opposite threads for cycle fixed sprockets - same thread locknuts are common in many other (non cycling) applications. I suppose opposite threads are an advantage if everything isn't done up tightly in the first place, but a correctly installed RH thread locknut does the job perfectly.
> I had wondered what prevented the whole lot unscrewing under > backpedaling :~)
Under "normal" use - ie if you have at least one brake and don't try anything clever, then two threaded the same way will hold tight. However, if they unscrew it will be catastrophic, and will certainly happen in an emergency situation, making it far worse. So good advice would be: don't do it.
What exactly does happen? I have very little exposure to fixed wheel bikes but my guess would be that the sprocket unscrews and jams the chain against the dropout or stays, locking the rear wheel and putting the rider on the deck very quickly.
Its happened to me on a few of occasions. You suddenly find yourself with no backward pressure as the sprocket unscrews so you have to quickly pedal forward again - so long as there's no brick wall or ditch in front of you,
On other occasions the sprocket has just unscrewed and fallen onto the axle, again losing all drive., but in this case no way to tighten teh sprocket up again.
It makes a good case for fitting two brakes, or using a proper track hub and lockring.
"John B" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Mark said:
iakobski said:
>> I had wondered what prevented the whole lot unscrewing under >> backpedaling :~)
Under "normal" use - ie if you have at least one brake and don't try anything clever, then two threaded the same way will hold tight. However, if they unscrew it will be catastrophic, and will certainly happen in an emergency situation, making it far worse. So good advice would be: don't do it.
What exactly does happen? I have very little exposure to fixed wheel bikes but my guess would be that the sprocket unscrews and jams the chain against the dropout or stays, locking the rear wheel and putting the rider on the deck very quickly.
Its happened to me on a few of occasions. You suddenly find yourself with no backward pressure as the sprocket unscrews so you have to quickly pedal forward again - so long as there's no brick wall or ditch in front of you,
On other occasions the sprocket has just unscrewed and fallen onto the axle, again losing all drive., but in this case no way to tighten teh sprocket up again.
It makes a good case for fitting two brakes, or using a proper track hub and lockring.
John B
I use one of these with a Miche sprocket as it has an adaptor that can be fitted with threadlock then a bottom bracket lockring to hold it all together.