I have problems with my BBQ. ("Don't tell me." I hear you say!)
For several years our daughter and family lived in North Carolina (we
live in England, by the way) and I came to appreciate that, due to the
climate, our American friends were masters of the BBQ. I, therefore,
hope that some of them might come to my rescue.
My problem. Firstly I should say that I like to BBQ on charcoal. I do
it solely for the flavour. So I don't have one of those large
machines like cookers on wheels complete with ceramic blocks.
Also I like my meat, be it beef or lamb, to have a reasonable amount of
fat - also for flavour. But I find that this fat melts, drips into the
charcoal, and bursts into flame. The result is my meat ends up
carbonised in 18" high flams as opposed to being cooked. Yet I don't
see these mounting flames in other people's BBQs, who clearly know
what they are doing more than I do. Nor do I see it in restaurants.
What is the answer? Am I using the wrong type of charcoal? Is there
a flame-inhibitor spray, perhaps?
I've just cooked a lovely rib-steak on the bone (washed down by a
good bottle of Burgundy = oh the joy of it!) but the outside was
charred to xxxxx, whilst the inside was rare to the extent of being
almost raw. So any help would be most, most, most welcome.
Thanks for ever.
Derek