UK and Europe · Public discussion

Flashing light recommendation

Started by Martin · · Last activity · 37 posts · 1,375 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
19 September 2005
Last activity
6 October 2005
Original author
Martin
Posts
37
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,375
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–37 of 37
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. David Martin said:

    But only if it is your sole light of that colour, and the kitemark needs
    to be BS6102/2.

    6102/2 is for reflectors, not lights. However my earlier-mentioned
    Cateye flashers combine light and reflector but are only BS approved as
    reflectors.

    Quoted message said:

    Speaking to my tame plod, he was unaware that it a) was now legal to fit
    flashing bike lights and b) that it had ever been illegal and c) was not
    about to quibble with anyone who was showing any lights, irrespective of
    the letter of the law.

    My experience too.

    Mike

  2. you know? said:

    I don't have a copy of the standards any more, so I can't say this for
    certain, but I believe one part of the revision in 1989(?) was to
    allow LEDs as a light source rather than incandescent lamps. This
    could be Complete Bollocks, though.

    So I believe, too. The previous ones didn't _intend_ to ban LED, it
    was just that they wanted to ban carbide lamps, so specified that the
    light source be an electrically heated filament bulb (or something to
    that effect).

    Quoted message said:

    Not surprised - ignorance on that one is widespread. And on the fact
    that some kitemarked lamps are only legit if fitted with an optional
    rigid bracket (and not even then, of course, due to the wrong year of
    BS). In practice it is going to be *much* easier to fit a front and
    rear blinkie and then carry on as before!

    Depends what you mean by 'legit'. They're legitimately BS with the
    optional extra bracket, but not necessarily legitimately legal.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|

  3. Just zis Guy said:

    I submit that on or about 2 Oct 2005 06:10:45 -0700, the person known
    to the court as "David Martin" <[email hidden]> made a
    statement (<[email hidden]> in
    Your Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

    Quoted message said:

    A[1] BS compliant steady light or a flashing LED light with an output
    over 4 candela flashing... etc. are sufficient to meet the requirements
    for lighting on a cycle at night.

    Yes. Specifically, if it does *not* flash it need sot be kitemarked,
    if it *does* flash, it need not be. A typical dog's breakfast, in
    other words.


    Unless your bike was built before October 1990 (like 3 of mine)

  4. I submit that on or about Sun, 02 Oct 2005 20:07:27 +0100, the person
    known to the court as MSeries <[email hidden]> made a
    statement (<[email hidden]> in
    Your Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Yes. Specifically, if it does *not* flash it need sot be kitemarked,
    if it *does* flash, it need not be. A typical dog's breakfast, in
    other words.

    Quoted message said:

    Unless your bike was built before October 1990 (like 3 of mine)

    Interesting. I read it as requiring the approval mark after that
    date, but requiring the standard before then - but you could be right.
    I really will have to ask Chris Juden!

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    "To every complex problem there is a solution which is
    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  5. Just zis Guy said:

    I submit that on or about Sun, 02 Oct 2005 20:07:27 +0100, the person
    known to the court as MSeries <[email hidden]> made a
    statement (<[email hidden]> in
    Your Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Yes. Specifically, if it does *not* flash it need sot be kitemarked,
    if it *does* flash, it need not be. A typical dog's breakfast, in
    other words.

    Quoted message said:

    Unless your bike was built before October 1990 (like 3 of mine)

    Interesting. I read it as requiring the approval mark after that
    date, but requiring the standard before then - but you could be right.
    I really will have to ask Chris Juden!

    I have only read CTC notes about this and IIRC it, that is the CTC
    information, says if ones bike was built before October 1990 any white
    light will do. I assume it means steady but doesn't mention the need for
    BS as all. I'd be interested in hearing what CJ says on this.

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    MSeries said:

    nless your bike was built before October 1990 (like 3 of mine)

    160 of mine are less than 5 years old - I do have 2 which are older:-)

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton
    on the Bicycle Island
    In the Global Village
    http://www.millport.net

  7. Sandy Morton said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    MSeries said:

    nless your bike was built before October 1990 (like 3 of mine)

    160 of mine are less than 5 years old - I do have 2 which are older:-)

    How old is my tandem? I built it last year but the frames it was built
    from are potentially more than 10 years old.

    I do have 2 bikes I know are older than 1990 (one just), the other by
    some considerable margin.

    ...d

  8. David Martin said:
    Sandy Morton said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    MSeries said:

    nless your bike was built before October 1990 (like 3 of mine)

    160 of mine are less than 5 years old - I do have 2 which are older:-)

    How old is my tandem? I built it last year but the frames it was built
    from are potentially more than 10 years old.

    As old as you say it is... Technically, it's probably as old as the
    frame because comparing the frame number with the manufacturer's records
    would be the only way of proving its age.

    But it really doesn't matter, does it? If you've got a white light, no
    policeman's going to be bothered whether it's BS marked or not. In the
    very unlikely case that one does and you say it's a pre-October 1990
    bike, who's going to go to all the effort of trying to prove you wrong?

    --
    Andrew

  9. Naqerj said:


    But it really doesn't matter, does it? If you've got a white light, no
    policeman's going to be bothered whether it's BS marked or not. In the
    very unlikely case that one does and you say it's a pre-October 1990
    bike, who's going to go to all the effort of trying to prove you wrong?

    Perhaps a lawyer on behalf of an insurance company who is trying to
    reduce the compo.

  10. MSeries said:
    Naqerj said:

    But it really doesn't matter, does it? If you've got a white light,
    no policeman's going to be bothered whether it's BS marked or not.
    In the very unlikely case that one does and you say it's a
    pre-October 1990 bike, who's going to go to all the effort of trying
    to prove you wrong?

    Perhaps a lawyer on behalf of an insurance company who is trying to
    reduce the compo.

    How often does that happen?

    ~PB

  11. Pete Biggs said:
    MSeries said:


    Perhaps a lawyer on behalf of an insurance company who is trying to
    reduce the compo.

    How often does that happen?

    Overall, rarely, but cycling is so safe lawyers rarely get a look-in
    anyway, so that's not particularly relevant.

    In what proportion of cases does an insurance company try and weasel
    out of paying for the actions of their insured? This is a more
    relevant questions, and can more readily be compared with the toilet
    habits of bears, I think.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|

  12. Ian Smith said:
    Pete Biggs said:
    MSeries said:


    Perhaps a lawyer on behalf of an insurance company who is trying to
    reduce the compo.

    How often does that happen?

    Overall, rarely, but cycling is so safe lawyers rarely get a look-in
    anyway, so that's not particularly relevant.

    In what proportion of cases does an insurance company try and weasel
    out of paying for the actions of their insured? This is a more
    relevant questions, and can more readily be compared with the toilet
    habits of bears, I think.

    In what proportion of cases does the insurance company find witnesses who
    noted what lights you had on the bike at the time?

    In any case, I prefer to concentrate on having whatever equipment *I*
    think is most suitable for the cycling I'm doing, and not having an
    accident in the first place, rather than letting my life be ruled by pure
    fear of litigation -- a growing general attitude that I think is spoiling
    this country/world.

    ~PB

  13. Pete Biggs said:

    In what proportion of cases does the insurance company find
    witnesses who noted what lights you had on the bike at the time?

    In a fatal collision I would expect there to be a report from the
    police vehicle examiner on the condition of all the vehicles involved,
    including the bicycle. I wouldn't be surprised if they also got their
    own expert to examine it if it looks like being a big payout.

    --
    Dave...

  14. Pete Biggs said:
    Ian Smith said:


    In what proportion of cases does an insurance company try and weasel
    out of paying for the actions of their insured? This is a more
    relevant questions, and can more readily be compared with the toilet
    habits of bears, I think.

    In any case, I prefer to concentrate on having whatever equipment *I*
    think is most suitable for the cycling I'm doing, and not having an
    accident in the first place, rather than letting my life be ruled by pure
    fear of litigation -- a growing general attitude that I think is spoiling
    this country/world.

    I'm surprised you consider fitting an extra light to your bike to be a
    lifetimes work, and I agree, in that case I probably wouldn't bother
    either.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|

  15. Ian Smith said:

    I'm surprised you consider fitting an extra light to your bike to be a
    lifetimes work, and I agree, in that case I probably wouldn't bother
    either.

    It's not the work in fitting another light but the space, weight and
    running cost of it in addition to the lights I prefer to use that bother
    me.

    The law change re flashing lights makes things a bit easier, but still I
    don't think I would be "legal" if I had Lumicycle lamps switched on at the
    time with a Smart Polaris turned off, or no Lumis and Polaris in steady
    mode. I'm also not going to fit a legal rear reflector when I've got
    loads of reflective tape instead, nor legal pedal reflectors when my
    pedals can't take them.

    ~PB

  16. dkahn400 said:
    Pete Biggs said:

    In what proportion of cases does the insurance company find
    witnesses who noted what lights you had on the bike at the time?

    In a fatal collision I would expect there to be a report from the
    police vehicle examiner on the condition of all the vehicles involved,
    including the bicycle. I wouldn't be surprised if they also got their
    own expert to examine it if it looks like being a big payout.

    That is a good example, but I don't think there's much chance of me being
    involved in a fatal incident (and at night), at least where I wasn't the
    fatality. That's the chance I take anyway. Meanwhile I use lights that
    are at least as as visible as minimum BS lights to do my bit to help
    prevent crashes.

    ~PB

  17. On 6 Oct,

    Pete Biggs said:

    The law change re flashing lights makes things a bit easier, but still I
    don't think I would be "legal" if I had Lumicycle lamps switched on at the
    time with a Smart Polaris turned off, or no Lumis and Polaris in steady

    What is the legal requirements now? I'm about to swap lights around for my
    winter bike. Any references for the changes from the horses mouth? (Or is it
    twojag's A***).

    --
    BD
    Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.