Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Flite Gel Saddle

Started by Wasatch5k · · Last activity · 29 posts · 1,150 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
7 June 2005
Last activity
22 June 2005
Original author
Wasatch5k
Posts
29
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,150
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–29 of 29
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 18:24:28 -0600, Wasatch5k <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I've been told they take a while to break in, but it's been over a year
    and I'm tired of numb nuts, it hurts after 20min! Can anyone recommend a
    more comfortable saddle in the $50~$90 range? I was thinking maybe the
    WTB Shadow V Pro Gel seen here:

    If there's one thing I've learned monitoring and participating in
    these saddle discussions for almost fifteen years; everyone's
    different. You'll probably get lots of responses touting each poster's
    particular favorite saddle. Only you can determine what works for you.

    Unfortunately this can get expensive. Best bet, find someone (like me)
    who has a box full of random saddles and will let you borrow some to
    try. Some bike shops might even do this for you.

    But the real answer is: Selle Italia Flite (non-gel). It must be the
    right answer since I have them on five of my six bikes. ;-)

    BTW, my all original 1966 PX-10 has a Brooks Pro. A Flite might feel
    good, but just wouldn't look correct.

    jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

  2. Bill Sornson said:

    A hundred bucks for a 300-gram saddle?

    You can do (MUCH) better.

    You can't do any better than the one that fits, which is worth whatever it
    costs.

    Matt O.

  3. Dan said:

    I ended up with the Terry men's ti fly. It has a slot down the middle
    but I don't believe that the slot actually makes much of a
    difference. This saddle seems to be the right width, firmness and
    just plain fits me.

    I agree about the Terry. The hole seems dubious, but it works for me anyway.
    Other users seem to agree -- I've never heard of anyone rejecting one of these
    saddles. The hole actually bothered me at first, but just as I was thinking of
    getting rid of the Terry, it seemed to break in and has been great ever since.
    I'll probably grab another for my mountain bike.

    Selle Italia Turbomatics and WTBs seem almost universally liked too. However,
    as others have said, overall riding position is key.

    Matt O.

  4. Wasatch5k said:

    I've been told they take a while to break in, but it's been over a year
    and I'm tired of numb nuts, it hurts after 20min! Can anyone recommend a
    more comfortable saddle in the $50~$90 range? I was thinking maybe the
    WTB Shadow V Pro Gel seen here:

    http://www.wtb.com/products/saddle_progel.html

    Any opinions?

    Gel saddles don't work for a lot of people. I've always avoided them.

    A standard Flite might be better, as might the
    looks-masochistic-but-actually-works SLR. Less is often more when it
    comes to avoiding numbness, because you actually sit on your bones
    rather than constricting your soft bits.

  5. David Damerell said:

    Quoting Wasatch5k <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    I've been told they take a while to break in, but it's been over a
    year and I'm tired of numb nuts, it hurts after 20min!

    Non-leather saddles such as you have don't break in; either they're
    good or they're not.

    Do you mean non-leather structurally, or as a saddle cover? Depending on the
    saddle, even a leather cover breaks in a little. I had this experience with my
    Terry.

    Completely non-leather saddles can be great. Lycra is comfortable but doesn't
    last. Avocet vinyl saddles are great. SDG have some kind of foamy synthetic
    ultrasuede that's comfortable too, and practically indestructible.

    Matt O.

  6. John Everett said:

    But the real answer is: Selle Italia Flite (non-gel). It must be the
    right answer since I have them on five of my six bikes. ;-)

    I like the original Flites too. I first tried one when they came out in '90 or
    so, and I immediately felt it was the best saddle ever. But now the Flite name
    has been applied to a whole line of saddles, completely different from one
    another except for the basic outline.

    Matt O.

  7. Quoting Matt O'Toole <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:
    David Damerell said:

    Quoting Wasatch5k <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    I've been told they take a while to break in, but it's been over a
    year and I'm tired of numb nuts, it hurts after 20min!


    Non-leather saddles such as you have don't break in; either they're
    good or they're not.


    Do you mean non-leather structurally, or as a saddle cover?

    I mean whatever part isn't leather isn't going to break in.

    Quoted message said:

    Completely non-leather saddles can be great.

    Yes; what I'm saying is, unlike a leather saddle, if they're not great
    there's no point hoping they'll become great.
    --
    David Damerell <[email hidden]> Distortion Field!
    Today is First Brieday, June.

  8. Forget padded saddles. My mileage never rolled up until I got rid of
    padded saddles. The SLR versions vary so fit them to your derier.
    Other versions without padding work based upon your physique.

    Match sit bones to contact points. Check that the skirt on the saddle
    doesn't intrude on your thighs.

    Padded saddles are the holy grail of Bike Mkt'g. You need the padding
    in your shorts! Once you have ~ 1500 mi. developed seat your derier
    will be comfortable on unpadded saddle. And you don't need to ride
    70mi/wk to maintain your seat.

  9. "John Everett" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If there's one thing I've learned monitoring and participating in
    these saddle discussions for almost fifteen years; everyone's
    different. You'll probably get lots of responses touting each poster's
    particular favorite saddle. Only you can determine what works for you.

    Good advice.

    Quoted message said:

    Unfortunately this can get expensive. Best bet, find someone (like me)
    who has a box full of random saddles and will let you borrow some to
    try. Some bike shops might even do this for you.

    Definately. It's one good reason to be part of a friendly bike club where
    everyone's out to share knowledge - and lend equipment for testing.

    Quoted message said:

    But the real answer is: Selle Italia Flite (non-gel). It must be the
    right answer since I have them on five of my six bikes. ;-)

    BTW, my all original 1966 PX-10 has a Brooks Pro. A Flite might feel
    good, but just wouldn't look correct.

    Got a question for you since you're using the Selle and Brooks: had you
    considered trying a Brooks saddle that had the same shape as the Selle
    Flight? I didn't know they made them until I leafed through their PDF
    catalog. (downloadable online)

    Wondering how these "modern" Brooks designs compare to their gel/plastic
    counterparts in the Selle and other brands.

    C.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.