Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Fluid for chain cleaning

Started by Jules · · Last activity · 23 posts · 1,468 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
8 February 2007
Last activity
18 February 2007
Original author
Jules
Posts
23
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,468
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–23 of 23
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Joel Mayes said:

    I'm constantly see people at the how've had their bikes stuffed by
    mechanics at their LBS, often really dumb things like a lady who came
    in on an old single speed with coaster brakes saying the chain was
    constantly droping and leaving her with no brakes.

    Apparently the problem started after she went to her LBS 'cause the
    tyre was rubbing on the mud-guards. Rather then adjusting the stays
    the mechanics shifted the wheel forward in the drop-outs.

    Mere beginners!

    The so-called mechanics at the shops local to me would have fitted new
    mudguards, and when that didn't work, recommended a different rim/tyre
    combination.

    After that the time honoured routine of "they all do that", "it's not
    the brand we stock because of this very reason," etc.etc.

    My "new", old bike, bought for sentimental reasons a couple of weeks
    ago, is a 1990 Miyata 721A. One of the reasons I bought it is that it
    was still fitted with the tyres it left the factory with (albeit
    perished beyond use) and that you could still clearly see the mould
    flash in the centre of the tyres - in other words it has been in
    storage and never ridden.

    In the course of changing the wheel bearings I damaged one of the
    dustcaps, against my better judgment I attended my LBS on Saturday in
    the hope of buying a new one. They didn't have one that fitted over the
    cone, but would sell me a whoe new axle assembly, complete with dust
    covers for $20 - a nasty looking "universal" axle assembly at that.

    I decided to look wider and passed on it, not because I'm lousy and
    didn't want to spend $20, because the replacement parts were clearly
    lower quality. (I've since made a dust cap out of the pull out top from
    a bottle of auto trans fluid - took me all of 5 minutes, most of which
    was "painting" it black with an oil pen.)

    Anyway, the LBS sales droid's comment "Probably not worth spending that
    much on a cheap rim". I suspect that the dollar cost of a Miyata 721A
    in 1990 dollars, translated to 2007 Pacific pesos would add up to a
    sizeable pile of moola. For that little insult that displayed a
    consumate lack of knowledge as to what are "good" versus "cheap" rims,
    and the $23 they burgled for a universal brake cable means that I shall
    never darken their door again. I only needed one cable as I had another
    in stock as spares, it still had the price tag from when I purchased it
    a few years back, $1.76.

    I accept that things have gone up a bit, inflation, award wages for
    PFYs and even the need to aircondition bike show rooms to keep the
    punters happy, but there is no way on planet Earth that a ordinary
    quality universal brake cable costs $23 other than where the LBS
    concerned has the jolly rodger hoisted high.

    --

  2. Blue Heeler said:
    Joel Mayes said:

    I'm constantly see people at the how've had their bikes stuffed by
    mechanics at their LBS, often really dumb things like a lady who came
    in on an old single speed with coaster brakes saying the chain was
    constantly droping and leaving her with no brakes.

    Apparently the problem started after she went to her LBS 'cause the
    tyre was rubbing on the mud-guards. Rather then adjusting the stays
    the mechanics shifted the wheel forward in the drop-outs.

    Mere beginners!

    The so-called mechanics at the shops local to me would have fitted new
    mudguards, and when that didn't work, recommended a different rim/tyre
    combination.

    After that the time honoured routine of "they all do that", "it's not
    the brand we stock because of this very reason," etc.etc.

    Novices!

    I once had V-brakes fitted to a drop-bar touring bike by a Fitzroy LBS
    this of course needed two of those do-hickies that change the mechanical
    advantage of the lever. Not only did they fail to re-tighten two bolt
    when they refitted the rack they left the nylock nut off the bolt that
    holds the do-hickies to the frame.

    The same place was also the last LBS to service my partner's bike before
    we met. A year later I give her bike a clean 'n' grease only to discover
    there are no bearings in the top race of the headset. Not a single one.

    Cheers

    Joel

  3. Theo Bekkers said:
    Blue Heeler said:

    Now, if you can actually show me a "citrus" cleaner that cleans as
    quickly and as easily as kero, and doesn't cost more than 3 times as
    much - I'll buy it.

    That's a pretty safe bet. I use a 50/50 mix of kero and degreaser, cleans
    better and quicker, washes off easier, costs a little more, but not three
    times as much. It's not citrus though.

    Theo

    Be very careful of 'degreaser'. The standard ones (not talking about
    citrus) are harsh alkaline agents, I'm led to believe. Whatever they
    are, they destroy the anodised finish of shimano parts (haven't used
    it on my Campag). I use kero. The 'oily' finish is desirable. Compare
    it to petrol or white spirit, which strip the oil right away.

    Donga

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.