UK and Europe · Public discussion

Folding Bikes as Real Bikes

Started by [Not Responding] · · Last activity · 9 posts · 447 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
25 October 2004
Last activity
26 October 2004
Original author
[Not Responding]
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
447
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Like a few people here, I'm toying with the idea of buying a folder.
    In particular, I'm looking at the Dahon Speed TR.

    My question is, how practical is this sort of bike for longish rides;
    up 100miles or so? Yeah, I know, it's *possible* to do the PBP on a
    Raleigh Stow-a-way but I can't imagine it's either recommended or much
    fun.

    I have the standard reservations about small wheels but am willing to
    have my prejudices corrected. Do they have less rolling momentum (ie
    do they rapidly lose speed when you stop pedalling)? How do they cope
    with sustrans style surfaces?

    I'm limiting myself to looking at real folders rather than "packables"
    such as the Airnimal as I want to be able to use it for hopping on
    trains as well.

    Am I simply asking too much?

  2. Not Responding said:

    Like a few people here, I'm toying with the idea of buying a folder.
    In particular, I'm looking at the Dahon Speed TR.

    My question is, how practical is this sort of bike for longish rides;
    up 100miles or so? Yeah, I know, it's *possible* to do the PBP on a
    Raleigh Stow-a-way but I can't imagine it's either recommended or much
    fun.

    I have the standard reservations about small wheels but am willing to
    have my prejudices corrected. Do they have less rolling momentum (ie
    do they rapidly lose speed when you stop pedalling)? How do they cope
    with sustrans style surfaces?

    I'm limiting myself to looking at real folders rather than "packables"
    such as the Airnimal as I want to be able to use it for hopping on
    trains as well.

    Am I simply asking too much?

    I had a Birdy Blue (written off in a crash but that's another story)
    and it was fine for long rides. The rolling resistance is more than
    with larger wheels, but as long as you keep the tyres pumped up hard
    (and don't use knobbly tyre) it's not really a problem. The Birdy also
    has some suspension, which means it can cope with pretty nasty
    surfaces (I've done some fairly tricky off-road riding with the
    Birdy). I've also done some pretty long rides on the road with that
    bike.

    I'm not sure that I'll get another - these last couple of years I
    haven't had much need for something that folds up - but if you
    definitely want something that folds then they're good all-purpose
    bikes. If your budget can stretch to it I'd go for the grey - which is
    speedhub equipped and makes a lot of sense on a folder.

  3. Not Responding said:

    My question is, how practical is this sort of bike for longish rides;
    up 100miles or so? Yeah, I know, it's *possible* to do the PBP on a
    Raleigh Stow-a-way but I can't imagine it's either recommended or much
    fun.

    There's folders and folders. The Speed TR is a Real Bike, and so are
    things like the Bike Friday, Airnimal and Birdy.

    Quoted message said:

    I have the standard reservations about small wheels but am willing to
    have my prejudices corrected. Do they have less rolling momentum (ie
    do they rapidly lose speed when you stop pedalling)? How do they cope
    with sustrans style surfaces?

    Basically fine. Easiest way to remove your prejudice is take something
    for a test drive. Or you could just note that Moultons have been raced
    successfully in the RAAM and world speed records have been set on them...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm limiting myself to looking at real folders rather than "packables"
    such as the Airnimal as I want to be able to use it for hopping on
    trains as well.

    Am I simply asking too much?

    No. Try a Birdy. Small wheel issues, such as they are, tend to vanish
    with good roadgoing suspension and the Birdy has it. If you shut your
    eyes I'd defy you to notice you weren't on a "normal" bike as far as the
    ride is concerned.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  4. Not Responding said:

    Like a few people here, I'm toying with the idea of buying a folder.
    In particular, I'm looking at the Dahon Speed TR.

    My question is, how practical is this sort of bike for longish rides;
    up 100miles or so? Yeah, I know, it's *possible* to do the PBP on a
    Raleigh Stow-a-way but I can't imagine it's either recommended or much
    fun.

    Very. Its not the sort of distance for "normal" people on a Brompton
    but on a Speed TR, Birdy, Moulton, Airnimal or Bike Friday you will not
    notice the difference from a normal bike (except that you don't need to
    do a circular ride as you can jump on a train or bus home at your
    destination with a folder!)

    Quoted message said:


    I have the standard reservations about small wheels but am willing to
    have my prejudices corrected. Do they have less rolling momentum (ie
    do they rapidly lose speed when you stop pedalling)? How do they cope
    with sustrans style surfaces?

    There are slight differences but not significant and not all negative -
    e.g the smaller wheels accelerate faster. The only thing to consider for
    longer rides on rough surfaces is you feel the surface slightly more
    through the saddle and handlebars.

    Quoted message said:


    I'm limiting myself to looking at real folders rather than "packables"
    such as the Airnimal as I want to be able to use it for hopping on
    trains as well.

    Look at the Birdy as well.

    Quoted message said:

    Am I simply asking too much?

    Not at all

    Tony
    (Brompton and Bike Friday)

  5. Not Responding said:

    I'm limiting myself to looking at real folders rather than "packables"
    such as the Airnimal as I want to be able to use it for hopping on
    trains as well.

    The new Airnimal Joey claims to be a folder rather than a demountable. It
    clearly doesn't fold as small as many of the other bikes due to its wheel
    size but it is meant to be a fast fold. It might be worth a look in
    addition to the many other worthy recommendations already given here.

    Colin

  6. Paul Rudin <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I had a Birdy Blue (written off in a crash but that's another story)
    and it was fine for long rides. The rolling resistance is more than
    with larger wheels, but as long as you keep the tyres pumped up hard
    (and don't use knobbly tyre) it's not really a problem. The Birdy also
    has some suspension, which means it can cope with pretty nasty
    surfaces (I've done some fairly tricky off-road riding with the
    Birdy). I've also done some pretty long rides on the road with that
    bike.

    I'm not sure that I'll get another - these last couple of years I
    haven't had much need for something that folds up - but if you
    definitely want something that folds then they're good all-purpose
    bikes. If your budget can stretch to it I'd go for the grey - which is
    speedhub equipped and makes a lot of sense on a folder.

    I'm also a 'Blue owner. I find it fine for what I've used it
    for, it is slower than my Trek 1000 with skinny tyres but
    it's not hugely slower than my Galaxy, tbh. Some of the
    Dahon ones look quite sleek and would probably be faster,
    esp if the tyres aren't as fat as the Marathons on my Birdy.

    I've not yet attempted more than about 10-15 miles in a day
    on it, but I'm sure it would be fine for longer distances,
    I was doing upto 20mph in c. London this morning without
    great difficulty. I hit rather a nasty pothole that I didn't
    spot and the suspension coped fine. The only problem was
    that my left hand was knocked by the impact and I dropped
    into the 1st gear on the hub (the Blue's got 3-speed hub and
    8-speed derailleur).

    The review of the Birdy Black in the most recent AtoB was
    quite critical on a number of points - particularly the
    standard Birdy tyre (not the Marathons I've got). I would
    try to get a test ride on a few different folders to see
    what you like. Personally, I like the Birdy because it can
    carry a decent amount of stuff and the 24 speeds on the Blue
    allow me to take that stuff up hills that I would find
    impossible on a 3-speed (or even a 6-speed, I suspect).

    --
    Simon

  7. Not Responding said:

    Like a few people here, I'm toying with the idea of buying a folder.
    In particular, I'm looking at the Dahon Speed TR.

    My question is, how practical is this sort of bike for longish rides;
    up 100miles or so? Yeah, I know, it's *possible* to do the PBP on a
    Raleigh Stow-a-way but I can't imagine it's either recommended or much
    fun.

    Well, I had my own Dahon recommendation from a lady who has a Speed Pro.
    She, unlike myself, is a veteran long-distance bicycle tourer. She has
    ridden all over France on the Speed Pro (very similar to a Speed TR) and
    she swears by it.

    EFR
    Ile de France

  8. On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 06:40:16 +0100 someone who may be " [Not
    Responding] " <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    I have the standard reservations about small wheels but am willing to
    have my prejudices corrected.

    As Alex Moulton demonstrated over four decades ago, properly
    designed small wheeled bikes can be faster than cumbersome bikes.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E
    I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK government
    prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

  9. " [Not Responding] " <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Like a few people here, I'm toying with the idea of buying a folder.
    In particular, I'm looking at the Dahon Speed TR.

    My question is, how practical is this sort of bike for longish rides;
    up 100miles or so? Yeah, I know, it's *possible* to do the PBP on a
    Raleigh Stow-a-way but I can't imagine it's either recommended or much
    fun.

    I have the standard reservations about small wheels but am willing to
    have my prejudices corrected. Do they have less rolling momentum (ie
    do they rapidly lose speed when you stop pedalling)? How do they cope
    with sustrans style surfaces?

    I'm limiting myself to looking at real folders rather than "packables"
    such as the Airnimal as I want to be able to use it for hopping on
    trains as well.

    Am I simply asking too much?

    An interesting benefit to packables like the bike friday is that while
    it's a pain to fold, sometimes you don't have to. Since it's smaller
    than a 'normal' bike in full operating mode, on some less populated
    trains you can feel reasonably comfortable rolling it on as is.

    Sam
    ---
    http://www.freewheelingforum.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.