rec.bicycles.rides · Public discussion

folding bikes/fold-in-half adaptation

Started by bobdobbs · · Last activity · 13 posts · 893 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.rides
Published
7 May 2005
Last activity
16 May 2005
Original author
bobdobbs
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
893
Views / 30 days
2

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Has anyone had a good (or bad) experience with touring on a fold-up
    bicycle - either the traditional kinds like Bromley and Bike Friday -
    or with a $400 retrofit that allows their existing bike to fold in
    half? I take my bike on planes and carry panniers. Most of the fold-up
    bikes I see don't really seem suitable to carrying 35-40 pounds like I
    do.

  2. My wife and I have been touring on BikeFridays for years. They seem pretty
    sturdy and with panniers fore and aft can carry more weight than I want to
    haul around.

    See some pics on http://www.gfarnsworth.com/Famazine/BikeTrips.cfm --
    especially the Netherlands trip.

    George

    "bobdobbs" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Has anyone had a good (or bad) experience with touring on a fold-up
    bicycle - either the traditional kinds like Bromley and Bike Friday -
    or with a $400 retrofit that allows their existing bike to fold in
    half? I take my bike on planes and carry panniers. Most of the fold-up
    bikes I see don't really seem suitable to carrying 35-40 pounds like I
    do.

  3. I have a Waterford Adventure Cycle with S & S couplers, the $400
    retrofit you are talking about, I think. The couplers let the bike
    come apart into two pieces.

    The bike rides like a regular bike. I've toured over 1000 miles on it
    and I love it.

    I have a packing case that is the regulation size and the airlines take
    as if it were a big suitcase for no extra charge. The real problem is
    a) packing the bike up and b) getting it through security without them
    taking it out of the case (see problem (a)).

    It took me 4 hours to put the bike in the box the first time. I now
    have it down to 90 minutes.

    Coupled bikes don't fold in half. They come completely apart.

    I would recommend S&S couplers without reservation. At $50 a whack for
    airline fees, I'm well on my way to paying off the $400 I paid for the
    couplers.

    Ray

  4. "George Farnsworth" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:5b1fe.1502$hb1.340@trnddc05...
    : My wife and I have been touring on BikeFridays for years. They seem pretty
    : sturdy and with panniers fore and aft can carry more weight than I want to
    : haul around.
    :
    : See some pics on http://www.gfarnsworth.com/Famazine/BikeTrips.cfm --
    : especially the Netherlands trip.
    :
    : George

    Is that a New World Tourist you have? I am interested in buying one.

    Pat in TX

  5. Yes, we have two NWT's. Mine (blue) has drop bars and ergo shifters to
    match my 'Dale. Cathy's has flat bars and some kind of rapid-fire
    shifters. Both are 21-speeds.

    George

    "Pat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "George Farnsworth" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:5b1fe.1502$hb1.340@trnddc05...
    : My wife and I have been touring on BikeFridays for years. They seem
    pretty
    : sturdy and with panniers fore and aft can carry more weight than I want
    to
    : haul around.
    :
    : See some pics on http://www.gfarnsworth.com/Famazine/BikeTrips.cfm --
    : especially the Netherlands trip.
    :
    : George

    Is that a New World Tourist you have? I am interested in buying one.

    Pat in TX

  6. "George Farnsworth" : Yes, we have two NWT's. Mine (blue) has drop bars and
    ergo shifters to
    : match my 'Dale. Cathy's has flat bars and some kind of rapid-fire
    : shifters. Both are 21-speeds.
    :
    : George

    I'm thinking about getting the 3 speed internal hub set up to replace the
    front derailleur. I haven't actually seen one, though. Too bad you aren't in
    Dallas and I could have a look at your setup!

    Pat

  7. Quoted message said:

    I'm thinking about getting the 3 speed internal hub set up to replace the
    front derailleur. I haven't actually seen one, though.

    I had the 3 speed internal hub on our Tandem Twos'day. It worked very well,
    the main minuses being the weight and the fact you couldn't change the ratio
    between the three gears. Still, a good bomb-proof choice for travelling.

    Chris Neary
    [email hidden]

    "Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
    you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
    loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

  8. : >I'm thinking about getting the 3 speed internal hub set up to replace the
    : >front derailleur. I haven't actually seen one, though.
    :
    : I had the 3 speed internal hub on our Tandem Twos'day. It worked very
    well,
    : the main minuses being the weight and the fact you couldn't change the
    ratio
    : between the three gears. Still, a good bomb-proof choice for travelling.
    : Chris Neary
    :

    I have an old Schwinn from 1964 with a two-speed hub plus Bendix brake in
    the rear wheel. Yesterday, I was dismantling it as part of my project to
    restore it. Well, lemme tell ya, when that rear wheel came off, it felt as
    if it weighed about 40 pounds! That makes me leery of getting an internal
    hub, but the thought of getting a front derailleur out of whack isn't
    exactly desirable, either.

    How do you change gears while you are riding with your set up?

    Pat in TX

  9. Quoted message said:

    I have an old Schwinn from 1964 with a two-speed hub plus Bendix brake in
    the rear wheel. Yesterday, I was dismantling it as part of my project to
    restore it. Well, lemme tell ya, when that rear wheel came off, it felt as
    if it weighed about 40 pounds! That makes me leery of getting an internal
    hub, but the thought of getting a front derailleur out of whack isn't
    exactly desirable, either.

    How do you change gears while you are riding with your set up?

    It's been several years since we owned the Twos'day, so I am getting a
    little foggy about it's operation. IIRC, it was necessary to reduce force on
    the chain to shift. I also remember you could shift while stopped.

    Chris Neary
    [email hidden]

    "Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
    you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
    loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

  10. : It's been several years since we owned the Twos'day, so I am getting a
    : little foggy about it's operation. IIRC, it was necessary to reduce force
    on
    : the chain to shift. I also remember you could shift while stopped.
    : Chris Neary

    Yeah, with the Schwinn, you have to act as if you are going to set the
    coaster brake--but not go so far as to engage it. It's a kind of
    pedal-backward-but-just-a-little-bit action and that changed the gear.
    Pat in TX

  11. Quoted message said:

    I'm thinking about getting the 3 speed internal hub set up to replace the
    front derailleur

    Thinking on getting exact setup as well

  12. : >I'm thinking about getting the 3 speed internal hub set up to replace the
    : >front derailleur

    : Thinking on getting exact setup as well

    I asked at my LBS and they said they had worked on New World Tourists and
    found them to be well made with quality parts--and that the internal hub
    removed a potential trouble spot. Did you see the "hints" on making the bike
    nicer on the Bike Friday website? A user wrote that he added cartridge-type
    brake shoes to make the braking stiffer, upgraded the chain from KMC to one
    that is quieter, put on wider tires (up to 1 3/4"😉, and added a Thudbuster
    seat post.
    I am still trying to find anyone who has one in the area where I live so
    that I could try a test ride.

    Pat in TX

  13. Thanks, Ray. How much disassembly is required beyond taking the bike in
    half (i.e. wheels, pedals, handlebar stem, etc. How come it is so time
    consuming?

    Also, would you recommend the retrofit on an existing touring bike?
    Thanks, Phil

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.