General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Followup on Title IX discussion...

Started by Hootie McBoober · · Last activity · 8 posts · 1,366 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
13 September 2003
Last activity
13 September 2003
Original author
Hootie McBoober
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,366
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. orlandosentinel.comorl sptbudgetcht09020903feb09,
    ,2135191.htmlstory?coll=orl%2Dsports%2Dheadlines

    (or makeashorterlink.commakeashorterlink.com)

    Contrary to some statements in this newsgroup, it seems that most Division I football programs *do*
    make a profit (the average being almost $5 million). The entire athletic budgets of all Div. I
    colleges profit an average of $1.5 million.

    Discuss.

  2. Hootie McBooberton said:

    (or makeashorterlink.commakeashorterlink.com)

    Quoted message said:

    Contrary to some statements in this newsgroup, it seems that most Division I football programs *do*
    make a profit (the average being almost $5 million). The entire athletic budgets of all Div. I
    colleges profit an average of $1.5 million.

    Quoted message said:

    Discuss.

    I wouldn't say *most* because the less successful football conferences show most teams losing money
    at football. Looks like the ones that get on TV make enough money to subsidize women's sports and
    then some. Ohio State makes out big time, but look at say, Rice, which loses 3.75 mil on Football
    and loses 2.5 mil on women's sports. Where does that money come from?

    Given the Dartmouth flap, it would be interesting to see the Ivy league numbers.

    Donal Fagan AIA Donal@DonalO'Fagan.com (Anglicise the name to reply by e-mail)

  3. In Hootie McBooberton said:

    orlandosentinel.comorl sptbudgetcht09020903feb09,
    0,2135191.htmlstory?coll=orl%2Dsports% 2Dheadlines

    (or makeashorterlink.commakeashorterlink.com)

    Contrary to some statements in this newsgroup, it seems that most Division I football programs
    *do* make a profit (the average being almost $5 million). The entire athletic budgets of all Div.
    I colleges profit an average of $1.5 million.

    May I also ask whether the football expenditures listed include payments and maintenance on the
    football stadium and training buildings (which may be hidden as general university facilities
    expenses), parking assistants' salaries (ditto, general staff), coaches' salaries and benefits
    (ditto, faculty), marching bands, etc?

    I'd like to believe some of the better programs actually make money, but I still suspect there's a
    lot of funny accounting going on.

    Ross

  4. "Donal Fagan" <Donal@DonalO'Fagan.com> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Hootie McBooberton said:

    (or makeashorterlink.commakeashorterlink.com)

    Quoted message said:

    Contrary to some statements in this newsgroup, it seems that most Division I football programs
    *do* make a profit (the average being almost $5 million). The entire athletic budgets of all Div.
    I colleges profit an average of $1.5 million.

    Quoted message said:

    Discuss.

    I wouldn't say *most* because the less successful football conferences show most teams losing
    money at football. Looks like the ones that get on TV make enough money to subsidize women's
    sports and then some. Ohio State makes out big time, but look at say, Rice, which loses 3.75 mil
    on Football and loses 2.5 mil on women's sports. Where does that money come from?

    Given the Dartmouth flap, it would be interesting to see the Ivy league numbers.

    Donal,

    You're correct. I erroneously assumed that since the average total revenue was greater than the
    average total expenses, that most football programs earn a profit. I don't feel like counting up the
    schools right now, but before I saw this data, I had believed that only a very few big schools had
    profitable football programs.

    Interestingly, in the Big XII, which has become notorious for cutting men's swim teams, only Baylor
    athletic department lost revenue. It seems to me that the "football powerhouse" (the SEC, Big XII,
    Big Ten and PAC Ten) conferences have the best shot at maintaining revenue because they're likely to
    have a lot of bowl-eligible teams, and the revenue from bowl games gets split up among all the
    member teams (how else can one explain Vanderbilt's almost $9 million football surplus?).

    Not quite as noteworthy (in fact it's obvious) is the fact that the women's programs are almost all
    money-losers. Univesity of Alabama at Birmingham should get some praise for having $1 profit! I
    would be interested to see similar numbers broken down by sport. Men's basketball is probably
    profitable in certain parts of the country, but I imagine all other men's sports lose money.

    Are Ivy League schools not considered Div. I-A? I thought they would be included in this list.

  5. "Hootie McBooberton" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    orlandosentinel.comorl sptbudgetcht09020903feb09,
    ,2135191.htmlstory?coll=orl%2Dsports%2Dheadlines

    (or makeashorterlink.commakeashorterlink.com)

    Contrary to some statements in this newsgroup, it seems that most Division I football programs
    *do* make a profit (the average being almost $5 million). The entire athletic budgets of all Div.
    I colleges profit an average of $1.5 million.

    Discuss.

    At one of the Big Ten Universities, the football coach contributed funds for a woman's athletic
    scholarship. Now if all the major coaches were as generous it would sure go a long way toward the
    spirit of the Title IX ....

  6. "lilli" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Hootie McBooberton" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    orlandosentinel.comorl sptbudgetcht09020903feb09,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ,2135191.htmlstory?coll=orl%2Dsports%2Dheadlines

    (or makeashorterlink.commakeashorterlink.com)

    Contrary to some statements in this newsgroup, it seems that most


    Division I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    football programs *do* make a profit (the average being almost $5


    million).

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The entire athletic budgets of all Div. I colleges profit an average of


    $1.5

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    million.

    Discuss.

    At one of the Big Ten Universities, the football coach contributed funds for a woman's athletic
    scholarship. Now if all the major coaches were as generous it would sure go a long way toward the
    spirit of the Title IX ....

    At the University of Florida (my alma mater), former head coach Steve Spurrier gave $50,000 for
    the women's athletic program and could often be seen attending women's soccer, softball and
    basketball games.

  7. --------------060707070805060106040704 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

    According to reports generated by the Womens Sports Foundation, the expenditures reported to the
    NCAA for football do NOT include fees for stadium costs and upkeep. Also, other costs that are
    generated by football players are often hidden in other cost centers (e.g., laundry for player
    unitforms, training table). Here is part of a column from Donna Lopiano that I found on the Womens
    Sports Foundation website:
    womenssportsfoundation.orgarticle.html

    "Only 36% of all football programs make money. Why should football need to be protected from a
    federal law guaranteeing that we treat our daughters as well as our sons? Thirty years after
    the passage of Title IX, women are still receiving only 42% of all college athletic
    participation opportunities, $133 million dollars less in athletic scholarships each year, 36%
    of the annual athletic operating dollar and less than 32% of all recruiting funds (1999-00 NCAA
    Gender-Equity Report). The bottom line is that institutions of higher education have ignored
    federal law for 30 years. The real problem which is that few institutions are giving female
    athletes their fair share. "

    Apparently, Division 1A is an exception, rather than the rule when it comes to making money
    on football.

    In any case, the issue should not be whether a sport makes money or not. Is the purpose of college
    athletics to make money? The purpose should be to provide college students with opportunities to
    participate and compete. We do not expect arts amd music programs to make money. Debate teams?
    Engineering socieites? Community service?

    I see the basis problem as the overcommercialization of sports in college. We place more value on
    football and men's (and even women's) basketball because it provides revenue. This is ok, to some
    degree, but not when it limits female participation in college athletics. That is what Title IX is
    all about.

    Michael

    Ross Bogue said:
    In Hootie McBooberton said:

    I would assume that maintenance on athletic facilities such as the stadium and training buildings
    is included, as is coach/staff salaries and benefits. What school has a parking assistant? As for
    marching bands, those expenses likely come out of the general fund because I can't imagine an
    athletic department using one in its budget.

    Most football programs have parking assistants working on football Saturdays. The rest of the week
    they usually work as general facilities staff.

    Have you ever seen a marching band do anything besides entertain at a football game? (OK, that's
    not quite fair, as they do march in a few parades each year and even have formation contests with
    other marching bands. But they're not really a program of the Music department. For the most part
    they exist for football games.)

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway, I'm biased. I swam at a small college with no football program, but I attended law school
    at the University of Florida, which I think should be a model of how an athletic department should
    be run. At UF, all sports are funded and facilities are maintained by the booster-funded
    University Athletic Association. As far as I can tell, no sport-related expenses are paid from the
    general fund.

    We have come full circle. This discussion started with questions about how much of those booster
    funds would otherwise have been used to support the university. The questions are impossible to
    answer, but in the extreme case you could easily argue that all athletic booster funds are really
    coming at the expense of general funds.

    Ross

    --------------060707070805060106040704 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

    <html> <head> </head> <body> According to reports generated by the Womens Sports Foundation, the
    expenditures reported to the NCAA for football do NOT include fees for stadium costs and upkeep.
    Also, other costs that are generated by football players are often hidden in other cost centers
    (e.g., laundry for player unitforms, training table). Here is part of a column from Donna Lopiano
    that I found on the Womens Sports Foundation website: <a
    href="womenssportsfoundation.orgarticle.html">
    womenssportsfoundation.orgarticle.html</a> <br>
    <br> <font face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif" size="2" color="#000000"> "Only 36% of
    all football programs make money. Why should football need to be protected from a federal law
    guaranteeing that we treat our daughters as well as our sons? Thirty years after the passage of
    Title IX, women are still receiving only 42% of all college athletic participation opportunities,
    $133 million dollars less in athletic scholarships each year, 36% of the annual athletic operating
    dollar and less than 32% of all recruiting funds (1999-00 NCAA Gender-Equity Report). The bottom
    line is that institutions of higher education have ignored federal law for 30 years. The real
    problem which is that few institutions are giving female athletes their fair share.</font> "<br>
    <br> Apparently, Division 1A is an exception, rather than the rule when it comes to making money on
    football. <br> <br> In any case, the issue should not be whether a sport makes money or not. Is the
    purpose of college athletics to make money? The purpose should be to provide college students with
    opportunities to participate and compete. We do not expect arts amd music programs to make money.
    Debate teams? Engineering socieites? Community service? <br> <br> I see the basis problem as
    the overcommercialization of sports in college. We place more value on football and men's (and even
    women's) basketball because it provides revenue. This is ok, to some degree, but not when it limits
    female participation in college athletics. That is what Title IX is all about.<br> <br> Michael<br>
    <br> Ross Bogue wrote:<br> <blockquote type="cite"
    cite="mid:[email hidden]"> <pre wrap="">In <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
    href=""][email hidden]"><[email hidden]></a>
    Hootie McBooberton wrote:<br></pre> <blockquote type="cite"> <pre wrap="">I would assume that
    maintenance on athletic facilities such as the <br>stadium and training buildings is included, as
    is coach/staff salaries <br>and benefits. What school has a parking assistant? As for marching
    <br>bands, those expenses likely come out of the general fund because I <br>can't imagine an
    athletic department using one in its budget.<br></pre> </blockquote> <pre
    wrap=""><!----><br><br>Most football programs have parking assistants working on football
    <br>Saturdays. The rest of the week they usually work as general facilities <br>staff.<br><br>Have
    you ever seen a marching band do anything besides entertain at a <br>football game? (OK, that's not
    quite fair, as they do march in a few <br>parades each year and even have formation contests with
    other marching <br>bands. But they're not really a program of the Music department. For <br>the
    most part they exist for football games.)<br><br><br></pre> <blockquote type="cite"> <pre
    wrap="">Anyway, I'm biased. I swam at a small college with no football <br>program, but I attended
    law school at the University of Florida, which <br>I think should be a model of how an athletic
    department should be run. <br>At UF, all sports are funded and facilities are maintained by the
    <br>booster-funded University Athletic Association. As far as I can tell, <br>no sport-related
    expenses are paid from the general fund.<br></pre> </blockquote> <pre wrap=""><!----><br><br>We
    have come full circle. This discussion started with questions about <br>how much of those booster
    funds would otherwise have been used to <br>support the university. The questions are impossible to
    answer, but in <br>the extreme case you could easily argue that all athletic booster funds <br>are
    really coming at the expense of general funds.<br><br><br><br>Ross<br><br><br><br><br></pre>
    </blockquote> <br> </body> </html>

    --------------060707070805060106040704--

  8. Michael,

    Thanks for the input. I enjoy this discussion. You're correct. Universities shouldn't look at which
    programs generate revenue but rather how they encourage young adults to participate and compete.

    The problem is Title IX is implemented in such a way that it takes away men's opportunities to
    compete under the guise of creating "equal opportunity." The reality is that women just don't
    want to compete at the collegiate level in the same proportion that men do. Women's teams are
    having trouble filling their rosters whereas the still-existing men's teams are turning away lots
    of walk-ons.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.