Food Slicers - was: Christmas on New Year's Day

Boron Elgar

Guest
So far in the previous thread, two mentions were made of food slicers.
I am looking for one for home use. I do want electric, and ease of
cleaning would be appreciated. Storage is not a problem.

I had my eye on this one, but really do not know the category at all.

http://tinyurl.com/bgco4

Boron

Boron Elgar wrote:
> So far in the previous thread, two mentions were made of food slicers.
> I am looking for one for home use. I do want electric, and ease of
> cleaning would be appreciated.
>
> Boron

What model Rival did you have? I've been looking at them and want to
know which one you had that was so hard to clean?

On 1 Jan 2006 09:09:13 -0800, "itsjoannotjoann"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>> So far in the previous thread, two mentions were made of food slicers.
>> I am looking for one for home use. I do want electric, and ease of
>> cleaning would be appreciated.
>>
>> Boron

>What model Rival did you have? I've been looking at them and want to
>know which one you had that was so hard to clean?

Someone else mentioned the Rival, Biig - Sharon, I believe.

Boron

Boron Elgar wrote:
> Someone else mentioned the Rival, Biig - Sharon, I believe.
>
> Boron

OOPS!

itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> Boron Elgar wrote:
> > So far in the previous thread, two mentions were made of food slicers.
> > I am looking for one for home use. I do want electric, and ease of
> > cleaning would be appreciated.
> >
> > Boron

> What model Rival did you have? I've been looking at them and want to
> know which one you had that was so hard to clean?

I don't know the model number. We bought it at a flea market in
Florida and I never checked. It looked brand new, but had no
instructions with it. I googled and couldn't find the same one, so I'm
guessing that it's an older model. Probably the people who originally
bought it didn't use it either. .........Sharon

Boron Elgar wrote:

> So far in the previous thread, two mentions were made of food slicers.
> I am looking for one for home use. I do want electric, and ease of
> cleaning would be appreciated. Storage is not a problem.
>
> I had my eye on this one, but really do not know the category at all.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/bgco4
>
> Boron

Product: Waring Pro FS150 Food Slicer
Cost : Just under $100

The unit looks and operates like a miniature version of a commercial
deli-style slicer. It has the same geometry and basic components.
Since (over) using this one it has since been replaced it with a
commercial hobart slicer, about $500 USD used.

Here's a list of the Waring's good and bad points.

Good points
===========

- It works well enough, considering

The slice thickness is adjustable from 1/32 to 1/2 inch (the specs say
9/10 inch maximum but after measuring I believe that's incorrect)
With a little practice it produces slices thin enough to read a
newspaper through. This is partly due to the very solid thickness
adjustment mechanism. That part is all metal and well designed so the
feeder mechanism doesn't shift at all when slicing.

- It has a fairly small footprint

Dimension: 17-1/4 x 10-13/16 x 11-1/4
Weight: 15.15 lbs

- It's easy to clean

I've seen reviews complaining about the fact that it's hard
to clean. Whoever wrote that review has never used a commercial
meat slicer. This is much easier to clean by comparison.

- It's cheap

At under $100 it's the cheapest deli-type slicer I could find

Bad points
==========

- It's under powered

The 130 watt motor is single speed and rotates at a fairly low
RPM. Very dense material will slow the blade rotation to a crawl.
The specs recommend a maximum of 10 minutes usage at a time, but
I found that this is not a hard and fast rule. It depends on what
what you're slicing. It will slice enough meat for several
party trays at once with no problem. I've never had any overheating
of the motor, but I can easily see it happening with heavy enough
use.

- It's part plastic

The feeder assembly is almost all plastic. That doesn't present a
big problem when slicing things because it's quite sturdy, but
it does limit it's durability. Don't drop it, for instance.

- It doesn't handle large pieces

Given the fact that the blade has 6 inches of exposed surface
and the feeder assembly has 7 inches of travel, the largest
piece you can cut is around 6 inches in diameter. I get around this
by cutting the meat into smaller pieces where necessary. In other
situations this could be a real limitation, like with very large
blocks of cheese.

- It takes some getting used to

Because of it's construction and lack of power it's not as easy
and idiot proof as a commercial slicer. However, if you have any knife
skills at all you'll find yourself to producing good results
right away.

"Reg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> - It's part plastic
>
> The feeder assembly is almost all plastic. That doesn't present a
> big problem when slicing things because it's quite sturdy, but
> it does limit it's durability. Don't drop it, for instance.

Depends on the plastic. A good chunk of your car is plastic and it is on the
road a high speed with no damage. There are many varieties and formulations
of plastic. Just like the windows in an airplane at 500 mph.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> "Reg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>- It's part plastic
>>
>>The feeder assembly is almost all plastic. That doesn't present a
>>big problem when slicing things because it's quite sturdy, but
>>it does limit it's durability. Don't drop it, for instance.

> Depends on the plastic. A good chunk of your car is plastic and it is on the
> road a high speed with no damage. There are many varieties and formulations
> of plastic. Just like the windows in an airplane at 500 mph.

I wasn't describing a car or an airplane. I'm referring
specifically to the FS150 Food Slicer, which is on
the absolute low end of the scale when it comes to
durability. That's why I replaced it with an all metal
one.

>> "Reg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>>>- It's part plastic
>>>
>>>The feeder assembly is almost all plastic. That doesn't present a
>>>big problem when slicing things because it's quite sturdy, but
>>>it does limit it's durability. Don't drop it, for instance.

> I wasn't describing a car or an airplane. I'm referring
> specifically to the FS150 Food Slicer, which is on
> the absolute low end of the scale when it comes to
> durability. That's why I replaced it with an all metal
> one.

Perhaps it is low end, but you incriminated plastics as being part of the
problem and that it may break if dropped. Unless you know the specifics of
the plastic used, you cannot make that statement. Some plastics are quite
durable and can take high impact, unscathed, versus bend or cracked cheap
metals. It may, in fact, be increasing its durability.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> Perhaps it is low end, but you incriminated plastics as being part of the
> problem and that it may break if dropped. Unless you know the specifics of
> the plastic used, you cannot make that statement. Some plastics are quite
> durable and can take high impact, unscathed, versus bend or cracked cheap
> metals. It may, in fact, be increasing its durability.

Well sure, the fact that the plastic unit had to be replaced
with a metal one does incriminate plastic in this case. I'll
buy that :)

And yes, some plastics can be durable. Just not in this case.

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 20:18:06 GMT, Reg <[email protected]> wrote:

>Product: Waring Pro FS150 Food Slicer
>Cost : Just under $100
>
>The unit looks and operates like a miniature version of a commercial
>deli-style slicer. It has the same geometry and basic components.
>Since (over) using this one it has since been replaced it with a
>commercial hobart slicer, about $500 USD used.
>
>Here's a list of the Waring's good and bad points.
>
>Good points
>===========
>
>- It works well enough, considering
>
>The slice thickness is adjustable from 1/32 to 1/2 inch (the specs say
>9/10 inch maximum but after measuring I believe that's incorrect)
>With a little practice it produces slices thin enough to read a
>newspaper through. This is partly due to the very solid thickness
>adjustment mechanism. That part is all metal and well designed so the
>feeder mechanism doesn't shift at all when slicing.
>
>- It has a fairly small footprint
>
>Dimension: 17-1/4 x 10-13/16 x 11-1/4
>Weight: 15.15 lbs
>
>- It's easy to clean
>
>I've seen reviews complaining about the fact that it's hard
>to clean. Whoever wrote that review has never used a commercial
>meat slicer. This is much easier to clean by comparison.

What's involved in cleaning it? How long does it take? Can any parts
go into the dishwasher?

TIA.

Sue(tm)

Curly Sue wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 20:18:06 GMT, Reg <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Product: Waring Pro FS150 Food Slicer
>>Cost : Just under $100
>>

> What's involved in cleaning it? How long does it take? Can any parts
> go into the dishwasher?

Here's what I do. Remove the guides and either clean by hand
or in the dishwasher. Sponge down the outside of the slicer.
Remove the blade and wash it. Pick out any food particles
from the bottom area with a skewer. Reattach blade.
Total time 3 - 5 minutes.

The only part that might slow you down is getting the blade
on and off. You can use a large coin to screw/unscrew
it but I found a large screwdriver works best.