General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Foods for post-oral surgery?

Started by Dawn · · Last activity · 11 posts · 289 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
7 September 2007
Last activity
10 September 2007
Original author
Dawn
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
289
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. It hadn't occurred to me to ask here until I read the IV thread. I have a wisdom
    tooth that's trying (unsuccessfully) to erupt and causing problems. Currently I
    can't bite down at all on one side of my mouth and chewing on the other side
    causes a moderate to severe ache that lasts for a couple of hours. While we
    figured out that it was the wisdom tooth (which took about a week) I survived on
    processed lunchmeat and protein shakes.

    Between the natural appetite suppression of a mostly-protein diet and the nausea
    and appetite suppression of narcotics and antibiotics, my calorie intake dipped
    to around 600 calories per day. When we decided it was the wisdom tooth and that
    I would have another week before the tooth could be removed I tried adding carbs
    back to my diet to get my calories up. That was a lousy idea and I promptly felt
    terrible. I'm back to trying to choke down protein shakes and lunchmeat and
    upping the calories by adding more heavy cream to the shakes and more mayo to
    the lunchmeat.

    Next Tuesday the oral surgeon will remove my remaining wisdom tooth. It's
    considered a complicated extraction and he expects that it will be at least 3
    days before I can move from pudding and ice cream to applesauce and overcooked
    pasta. I'm not willing to eat pudding and ice cream for 3 days because it's
    going to make me feel worse and worse. I can eat low-carb cheesecake (whipped
    cream, cream cheese, splenda, flavorings) but I'm very, very averse to sweet
    flavors right now and that aversion gets stronger with every protein shake I
    force myself to drink.

    Any suggestions for non-sweet-tasting post-extraction foods? They need to be
    absolutely smooth - like baby food smooth and require no to very minimal
    chewing. Ideally they'd be high protein and contain no soy, too. :> Suggestions
    for food for the few days before surgery or step-up foods once I can handle some
    texture/chewing would be appreciated too. I'm not going to count carbs during
    recovery (with the narcotics I'll be lucky to count my own toes) - but I can't
    eat starch and sugar and I'm already craving protein.

    Oh, and I can't cook for beans when I'm doped up, so anything that requires
    minimal cooking or can be cooked in advance and reheated would be a major plus.
    I think I'll ask for some smooth broccoli cheese soup today - not very high in
    protein, but calorie dense, not sweet and can be sipped from a cup.

    (sorry about the long post, vicodin makes me ramble even more than usual)

  2. Well, don't forget chicken broth and beef broth. No carb and satisfies for
    awhile.

  3. Dawn said:

    It hadn't occurred to me to ask here until I read the IV thread. I have
    a wisdom tooth that's trying (unsuccessfully) to erupt and causing
    problems. Currently I can't bite down at all on one side of my mouth and
    chewing on the other side causes a moderate to severe ache that lasts
    for a couple of hours. While we figured out that it was the wisdom tooth
    (which took about a week) I survived on processed lunchmeat and protein
    shakes.

    Get an unsweetened, unflavored protein powder (I use this one:
    http://proteinfactory.com/shop/product.php?productid=50&cat=1&page=2 ) -
    that way, you can make shakes without the sickeningly oversweet flavors
    the diet industry thinks we want.

    I dunno what your carb allowance is, but you can blend up frozen
    strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, cantalope and honeydew in
    shakes for both flavor and sweetening. I also do a mocha shake made
    with cold coffee, a bit of unsweetened cocoa and some sweetener. I find
    sugar-free pudding mixes too carby on their own, but a quarter package
    mixed in a shake is OK. I include heavy cream in all the above also...
    and they taste a heck of a lot better than the premade shakes do.

    You can do lots with yogurt, cream cheese, ricotta or cottage cheese...
    add chives, garlic, sugar-free spaghetti sauce and/or shredded cheeses
    to make savory foods or add cocoa, nut butter, vanilla or other
    extracts, lemon juice and sweeteners to make sweet foods.

    I always do an egg drop soup when I'm ill or recovering cause it's great
    comfort food. Heat some chicken broth to simmering, add a few sliced
    scallions, a bit of ginger and a dash of soy sauce if you wanna get
    fancy, and whisk in a beaten egg.

    --
    http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/

  4. Dawn wrote in message <[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Oh, and I can't cook for beans when I'm doped up, so anything that


    requires

    Quoted message said:

    minimal cooking or can be cooked in advance and reheated would be a


    major plus.

    Quoted message said:

    I think I'll ask for some smooth broccoli cheese soup today - not


    very high in

    Quoted message said:

    protein, but calorie dense, not sweet and can be sipped from a cup.

    (sorry about the long post, vicodin makes me ramble even more than


    usual)

    Zucchini soup is good, and is good hot or cold. Any kind of
    chicken/beef broth based soup with a little cream added to make it
    tastier. Cauliflower soup is good. Good luck with the extraction.

    Cheri

    Cheri

  5. Heavy Cream

    "Dawn" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It hadn't occurred to me to ask here until I read the IV thread. I have a
    wisdom tooth that's trying (unsuccessfully) to erupt and causing problems.
    Currently I can't bite down at all on one side of my mouth and chewing on
    the other side causes a moderate to severe ache that lasts for a couple of
    hours. While we figured out that it was the wisdom tooth (which took about
    a week) I survived on processed lunchmeat and protein shakes.

    Between the natural appetite suppression of a mostly-protein diet and the
    nausea and appetite suppression of narcotics and antibiotics, my calorie
    intake dipped to around 600 calories per day. When we decided it was the
    wisdom tooth and that I would have another week before the tooth could be
    removed I tried adding carbs back to my diet to get my calories up. That
    was a lousy idea and I promptly felt terrible. I'm back to trying to choke
    down protein shakes and lunchmeat and upping the calories by adding more
    heavy cream to the shakes and more mayo to the lunchmeat.

    Next Tuesday the oral surgeon will remove my remaining wisdom tooth. It's
    considered a complicated extraction and he expects that it will be at
    least 3 days before I can move from pudding and ice cream to applesauce
    and overcooked pasta. I'm not willing to eat pudding and ice cream for 3
    days because it's going to make me feel worse and worse. I can eat
    low-carb cheesecake (whipped cream, cream cheese, splenda, flavorings) but
    I'm very, very averse to sweet flavors right now and that aversion gets
    stronger with every protein shake I force myself to drink.

    Any suggestions for non-sweet-tasting post-extraction foods? They need to
    be absolutely smooth - like baby food smooth and require no to very
    minimal chewing. Ideally they'd be high protein and contain no soy, too.
    :> Suggestions for food for the few days before surgery or step-up foods
    once I can handle some texture/chewing would be appreciated too. I'm not
    going to count carbs during recovery (with the narcotics I'll be lucky to
    count my own toes) - but I can't eat starch and sugar and I'm already
    craving protein.

    Oh, and I can't cook for beans when I'm doped up, so anything that
    requires minimal cooking or can be cooked in advance and reheated would be
    a major plus. I think I'll ask for some smooth broccoli cheese soup
    today - not very high in protein, but calorie dense, not sweet and can be
    sipped from a cup.

    (sorry about the long post, vicodin makes me ramble even more than usual)

  6. Baby food, a bit pricey but tasty and good for you. Anything you would
    usually eat run through the blender with a bit of liquid. Cheese warmed up
    in the microwave till it's runny. Why do protein shakes have to be choked
    down? You can make them very tasty with a handful of berries or any other
    flavor that appeals to you. You don't have to get premixed shakes, make
    your own with protein powder and cream and flavoring of choice.

    Dawn wrote:
    | It hadn't occurred to me to ask here until I read the IV thread. I
    | have a wisdom tooth that's trying (unsuccessfully) to erupt and
    | causing problems. Currently I can't bite down at all on one side of
    | my mouth and chewing on the other side causes a moderate to severe
    | ache that lasts for a couple of hours. While we figured out that it
    | was the wisdom tooth (which took about a week) I survived on
    | processed lunchmeat and protein shakes.
    |
    | Between the natural appetite suppression of a mostly-protein diet and
    | the nausea and appetite suppression of narcotics and antibiotics, my
    | calorie intake dipped to around 600 calories per day. When we decided
    | it was the wisdom tooth and that I would have another week before the
    | tooth could be removed I tried adding carbs back to my diet to get my
    | calories up. That was a lousy idea and I promptly felt terrible. I'm
    | back to trying to choke down protein shakes and lunchmeat and upping
    | the calories by adding more heavy cream to the shakes and more mayo
    | to the lunchmeat.
    |
    | Next Tuesday the oral surgeon will remove my remaining wisdom tooth.
    | It's considered a complicated extraction and he expects that it will
    | be at least 3 days before I can move from pudding and ice cream to
    | applesauce and overcooked pasta. I'm not willing to eat pudding and
    | ice cream for 3 days because it's going to make me feel worse and
    | worse. I can eat low-carb cheesecake (whipped cream, cream cheese,
    | splenda, flavorings) but I'm very, very averse to sweet flavors right
    | now and that aversion gets stronger with every protein shake I force
    | myself to drink.
    |
    | Any suggestions for non-sweet-tasting post-extraction foods? They
    | need to be absolutely smooth - like baby food smooth and require no
    | to very minimal chewing. Ideally they'd be high protein and contain
    | no soy, too. :> Suggestions for food for the few days before surgery
    | or step-up foods once I can handle some texture/chewing would be
    | appreciated too. I'm not going to count carbs during recovery (with
    | the narcotics I'll be lucky to count my own toes) - but I can't eat
    | starch and sugar and I'm already craving protein.
    |
    | Oh, and I can't cook for beans when I'm doped up, so anything that
    | requires minimal cooking or can be cooked in advance and reheated
    | would be a major plus. I think I'll ask for some smooth broccoli
    | cheese soup today - not very high in protein, but calorie dense, not
    | sweet and can be sipped from a cup.
    |
    | (sorry about the long post, vicodin makes me ramble even more than
    | usual)

  7. "FOB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Baby food, a bit pricey but tasty and good for you. Anything you would
    usually eat run through the blender with a bit of liquid. Cheese warmed
    up
    in the microwave till it's runny. Why do protein shakes have to be choked
    down? You can make them very tasty with a handful of berries or any other
    flavor that appeals to you. You don't have to get premixed shakes, make
    your own with protein powder and cream and flavoring of choice.

    Yeah-- get some frozen fruit, mix together maybe with yoghurt or even sour
    cream and blend it up.

  8. FOB said:

    Why do protein shakes have to be choked
    down? You can make them very tasty with a handful of berries or any other
    flavor that appeals to you. You don't have to get premixed shakes, make
    your own with protein powder and cream and flavoring of choice.

    Because I've yet to come up with a savory flavor of protein shake and I
    developed a strong aversion to sweet-tasting foods. Protein shakes (even with
    greek yogurt and no sweetener) were just too sweet for me.

    We made cream of broccoli and cream of cauliflower soup yesterday. I'm doing
    much, much better with less sugar in my system and more protein. Of course,
    restarting the abx may be helping too. 😉 We might try some cream of chicken if
    we can get the chicken tender enough.

  9. Dawn said:


    We made cream of broccoli and cream of cauliflower soup yesterday. I'm doing
    much, much better with less sugar in my system and more protein. Of course,
    restarting the abx may be helping too. 😉 We might try some cream of chicken if
    we can get the chicken tender enough.

    If a food processor can reduce dried peanuts into peanut butter,
    the machine can sure reduce cooked chicken into a paste thin
    enough for your current status. Chicken ultra-puree isn't on
    any adult's normal menu that I've ever heard of but it seems
    your option at the moment.

  10. Doug Freyburger said:

    If a food processor can reduce dried peanuts into peanut butter,
    the machine can sure reduce cooked chicken into a paste thin
    enough for your current status. Chicken ultra-puree isn't on
    any adult's normal menu that I've ever heard of but it seems
    your option at the moment.

    I was skeptical, but sure enough. Our machine can't make peanuts into peanut
    butter - it leaves little crunchy bits. However, it blends rotisserie chicken
    into cream of chicken soup just fine. We did make it a little thicker so that
    any chicken shreds would be easier to swallow.

    I never thought I'd look forward to oral surgery, but I'm counting down the
    hours. It has to get better once the tooth is out.

  11. Dawn said:
    Doug Freyburger said:

    If a food processor can reduce dried peanuts into peanut butter,

    ... Our machine can't make peanuts into peanut
    butter - it leaves little crunchy bits ...

    Sure it can. Grind a LOT longer. Turn it on. Grind until your ears
    hurt from the noise. That's the half way point. Keep griding
    until you wonder if the neighbors have called the police to get
    you to stop the noise. But if you forgot to put in earplugs you
    can no longer hear if anyone is knocking on the door. Then you
    have peanut butter. Or butter of any other type of nut - brazil nut
    butter and almond butter is SO good. Even just from peanuts,
    the resulting butter so so much better. Think of how good is
    whipped cream from a can then how much better whipping your
    own cream is.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.