Road Cycling · Public discussion

For a chain? HOW much?!

Started by Michael · · Last activity · 25 posts · 792 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
25 April 2005
Last activity
28 April 2005
Original author
Michael
Posts
25
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
792
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–25 of 25
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Michael said:
    RonSonic said:


    Michael said:

    The chain on my road bike has reached the magic 1/16-inch "stretch" point, so
    last night I Googled appropriately to do some pricing. The first site I hit is
    well known to most of you but I won't name it. There I found a pile of likely
    candidates, but my attention was almost immediately drawn away from the type of
    bike that each chain fits and to the prices. US$300+ ? For a chain?!
    US$200+? For a chain?! I seem to recall seeing a US$30-something chain down at
    the bottom of the list but I was so sticker-shocked by then that it didn't sink
    in until I'd logged off and toddled off to bed.

    Hey, my 10-speed cost under US$300, new (1979). Someone, *please* tell me how
    to get a decent replacement chain without hocking my first-born to pay for it.

    You went looking for a "ten speed" chain didn't ya? Well, since there is now a
    critical mass of bikes with triple chain wheels, the phrase "ten speed" means a
    bike with ten cogs in the BACK alone, to be multiplied of course by the number
    of chainwheels. It is that number of cogs that tells us what size chain you
    need, not the total number of possible combinations.

    Now this is all guess on my part, so tell me if I'm wrong.

    If I'm not, just go visit a bike store and spend the $12 - 14 a SRAM will cost
    and be done.

    You'll dig the master link concept.

    Ron

    No, actually I went looking for chains in general. That first and only page
    that came up listed chains, chain rings, and other "chain" stuff, all listed in
    descending order of price. Which is why I was stunned almost immediately by a
    $399.99 chain.

    They do that, don't they, default to showing most expensive first. Actually
    that's one of my tests of a shopping site, if it's got an easy way for me to
    resort from least to most expensive.

    Quoted message said:

    Although I bought the bike in 1979, I rode it only two years. Didn't pull it
    out again until 2002, but have ridden it a lot since then. So the chain that
    needed replacing is the one that was on the bike when I bought it. This old
    10-speed with 27 x 1 1/4" wheels and center-pull brakes has given me fits
    sometimes when I've needed to replace certain parts; I got quizzical looks and
    "They haven't made that for years. Most bikes use [whatever] now." So when I
    innocently went looking for chain and was confronted by dear price tags, I
    figured I'd hit another "times have changed" situation.

    Cool. Lucky bike, most don't survive that sort of premature retirement. Some of
    the stuff that's been obsoleted has been for a good reason, others of it just
    looks like an excuse to sell what's new. The good news is that someone,
    somewhere is supporting just about all the older parts.

    Quoted message said:

    All is fine now. I drove 30 minutes to a bike shop and bought a $10 chain.

    Enjoy.

    Ron

  2. <Those fancy $300 chains are for those new super bikes that people get
    nowadays>

    No, those "fancy $300 chains" are for dumb people who don't know that
    chains are consumables and a ti one will wear very, very fast!

  3. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Matt O'Toole said:
    maxo said:
    David L. Johnson said:

    8-speed chains, which your bike probably takes, should be $10-$15 at
    your local bike shop. SRAM/Sachs is a good brand.

    I like SRAM chains too, nice and quiet, and shift snappily. 10-15
    gets you a plain steel chain (model p-58 I think). For around 20-30
    you should get a nice nickel plated version that resists rust and
    looks bling. :P

    I'd love to know which shop sells a PC58 for under $15. Actually I'd love to
    know where you can even buy a PC48. They always want to sell me more chain than
    I need.

    _ Sales at either Nashbar, Performance or Supergo.

    _ Booker C. Bense

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: 2.6.2

    iQCVAwUBQm6R6mTWTAjn5N/lAQFc7gP+PDjOkyH1tLUlH7KymIutUSrxS3wuJDvf
    7kMk3QktffsAeL9fN2LdzZ8qIQkH5iO+jUD+xh+xYgewrJZOLyCkQ8KNsf3bdANx
    SUjJ/XBhdL73gD3xUNXY+6N/EgC2e+VG3fWBMVX8Xhy9A23ui8VenWmPxvbtdcSk
    cSiJ9SfJxOM=
    =R/rA
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  4. bfd said:

    <Those fancy $300 chains are for those new super bikes that people get
    nowadays>

    No, those "fancy $300 chains" are for dumb people who don't know that
    chains are consumables and a ti one will wear very, very fast!

    You can save yourself some serious money just by searching this
    newsgroup before you commit to anything.

  5. Quoted message said:

    But think of how much faster you'd ride with titanium!! Why, I'd bet
    almost half the weight of a chain is ROTATING MASS!!! when you're
    pedaling! You'd probably need carbon fiber derailer cables to dampen
    the vibration from the extra speed!

    I've only seen a titanium chain once - on the time trial bike of a friend.
    But since she was a National Champion in her age group (and had the National
    Record for awhile), she had a good reason for it, unlike the rest of us.

    Chris Neary
    [email hidden]

    "Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
    you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
    loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.