General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Forced air food dyhydrator?

Started by Michael L Kankiewicz · · Last activity · 6 posts · 680 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
20 January 2006
Last activity
22 January 2006
Original author
Michael L Kankiewicz
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
680
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a cheap food dehydrator (ronco) that works ok. Drying is very
    uneven depending on the location of the food. I have to turn the trays
    and switch them around several times though a drying cycle.

    I have seem some dehydrators advertised with "forced air", where a fan
    circulates the warm air. They claim the results are more even with no
    need to be switching around trays. Does anyone know if these really wotk
    better? I think the one I saw was American Harvester.

    Thanks,
    MK

  2. Michael L Kankiewicz said:

    I have a cheap food dehydrator (ronco) that works ok. Drying is very
    uneven depending on the location of the food. I have to turn the trays
    and switch them around several times though a drying cycle.

    I have seem some dehydrators advertised with "forced air", where a fan
    circulates the warm air. They claim the results are more even with no
    need to be switching around trays. Does anyone know if these really wotk
    better? I think the one I saw was American Harvester.

    Thanks,
    MK

    I've never used a Ronco to compare it with, but I have a American
    Harvester (Nesco) FD-50 and my brother has a 9-tray Excalibur, and they
    both work great.

    Bob

  3. Michael L Kankiewicz said:

    I have a cheap food dehydrator (ronco) that works ok. Drying is very
    uneven depending on the location of the food. I have to turn the trays
    and switch them around several times though a drying cycle.

    I've had a Mr. Coffee dehydrator for years. It worked just fine upto
    the last couple of years. I'm now going to buy the dehydrator trays for
    my stove and use that instead.

    Quoted message said:


    I have seem some dehydrators advertised with "forced air", where a fan
    circulates the warm air. They claim the results are more even with no
    need to be switching around trays. Does anyone know if these really wotk
    better? I think the one I saw was American Harvester.

    Thanks,
    MK

  4. "zxcvbob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Michael L Kankiewicz said:

    I have a cheap food dehydrator (ronco) that works ok. Drying is very
    uneven depending on the location of the food. I have to turn the trays
    and switch them around several times though a drying cycle.

    I have seem some dehydrators advertised with "forced air", where a fan
    circulates the warm air. They claim the results are more even with no
    need to be switching around trays. Does anyone know if these really wotk
    better? I think the one I saw was American Harvester.

    Thanks,
    MK

    I've never used a Ronco to compare it with, but I have a American
    Harvester (Nesco) FD-50 and my brother has a 9-tray Excalibur, and they
    both work great.

    Bob

    I have an Excalibur and it works great. I dry many things in and even make
    yogurt from time to time. My mom has the American Harvester and I use to
    borrow it before I bought my own and it worked great too.

    Lynne

  5. "Michael L Kankiewicz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    I have a cheap food dehydrator (ronco) that works ok. Drying is very
    uneven depending on the location of the food. I have to turn the trays
    and switch them around several times though a drying cycle.

    I have seem some dehydrators advertised with "forced air", where a fan
    circulates the warm air. They claim the results are more even with no
    need to be switching around trays. Does anyone know if these really wotk
    better? I think the one I saw was American Harvester.

    Thanks,
    MK

    The excalibur is great. But get the one with the timer.

  6. Michael L Kankiewicz said:

    I have seem some dehydrators advertised with "forced air", where a fan
    circulates the warm air. They claim the results are more even with no
    need to be switching around trays. Does anyone know if these really wotk
    better? I think the one I saw was American Harvester.

    I've had the Ronco and an off-brand fan powered dehydrator. They
    both worked the same. The forced air version, there really wasn't
    a lot of circulation except for around the edges, where everything
    dried too quickly. I usually load them to almost capacity, too,
    and only using for beef jerky. So that probably cut down on even
    circulation.

    -sw

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.