UK and Europe · Public discussion

four seasons in an hour

Started by Wafflycathcsdir · · Last activity · 15 posts · 1,147 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
13 May 2003
Last activity
17 May 2003
Original author
Wafflycathcsdir
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,147
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On Monday I had a bad migraine and spent the day curled up, in the dark, being ministered to by a
    certain one-eyed black-furred ladycat who didn't leave my side, but stayed with me, purring quietly
    her healing purrs. She is a sweetie to me when I have a migraine. I don't know *how* she knows when
    I've got a bad one, but she does know, and she is such a sweetie of a nurse cat!

    On Tuesday the migraine had gone, but I was left with post-migraine fatigue which had me exhausted
    all day, so it was another day mostly curled up with a purring cat, apart from a quick zoom out
    early evening to take some pictures of storm clouds passing by.

    Today the migraine and its fatigue had truly gone, and I was going stir crazy. The rain, hail and
    wind outside did not put me off. Interspersed with the bad weather was glorious sunshine, so I
    kitted up - long leggings, boots, long sleeved cycling jersey, gloves, helmet & waterproof. There
    was no way I was going to be indoors another minute. I got my old hybrid bike out - I haven't
    ridden it for some eighteen months since getting my Bianchi road bike. But I just felt in need of
    riding it today.

    What a change from the road bike! The hybrid is much slower and took a bit of getting re-used to as
    it has a more upright riding position than my Bianchi and the gearing is different. It is still a
    lovely bike to ride though. Within five minutes of setting off, the heavens opened and I was covered
    in small lumps of ice - hail. I almost turned tail and came home, but I really, really needed the
    exercise, so I kept going. Between hail showers the day was glorious. Big East Anglian skies full of
    separate storm cells - the sky was wonderful; big vertical cloud walls of dark grey and black with
    the tops high up, and sheets of grey rain falling from those in the distance, surrounded by areas of
    clear blue and fluffy white cumulus with bright sunshine. The wind was fairly making the clouds scud
    across the sky, which meant I was under storm clouds on several occasions to get wet and iced over.
    I think I got four seasons of weather in an hour! It was lovely. One minute I was covered in ice,
    the next it was steaming off me as I entered bright sunshine.

    My hybrid doesn't have mudguards, so I arrived home with a very wet bottom and filthy back from all
    of the water, dirt and grit thrown up by the wheels of the bike. I also had a very red face from
    the wind and damp knees. I ran upstairs, stripped off and soaked in a hot bath full of relaxing
    bubbles. Glorious.

    The cats think I am mad but I can't wait for tomorrow.

    Cheers, Helen s

    Tuesday, 13 May 2003

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Clean up the waste & get rid of the trapped wind to send a reply

    Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  2. wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter said:

    Within five minutes of setting off, the heavens opened and I was covered in small lumps of ice -
    hail. I almost turned tail and came home, but I really, really needed the exercise, so I kept
    going. Between hail showers the day was glorious. Big East Anglian skies full of separate storm
    cells - the sky was wonderful; big vertical cloud walls of dark grey and black with the tops high
    up, and sheets of grey rain falling from those in the distance, surrounded by areas of clear blue
    and fluffy white cumulus with bright sunshine. The wind was fairly making the clouds scud across
    the sky, which meant I was under storm clouds on several occasions to get wet and iced over. I
    think I got four seasons of weather in an hour! It was lovely. One minute I was covered in ice,
    the next it was steaming off me as I entered bright sunshine.

    Woo.

    I quite like this weather in an odd way. I would imagine its pretty bad for trying to cycle
    somewhere in a hurry 🙂

    --

    -Alex

    ----------------------------------
    [email hidden]

    alexpg.ath.cxcycling.php westerleycycling.org.ukwesterleycycling.org.uk
    ----------------------------------

  3. Quoted message said:

    I would imagine its pretty bad for trying to cycle somewhere in a hurry 🙂

    It's alright for me as I find it impossible to cycle anywhere in a hurry anyhow!

    Cheers, helen s 🙂

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Clean up the waste & get rid of the trapped wind to send a reply

    Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter said:

    On Monday I had a bad migraine and spent the day curled up, in the dark, being ministered to by a
    certain one-eyed black-furred ladycat who didn't leave my side, but stayed with me, purring
    quietly her healing purrs. She is a sweetie to me when I have a migraine. I don't know *how* she
    knows when I've got a bad one, but she does know, and she is such a sweetie of a nurse cat!

    I read recently about serious plans to train dogs to sniff out cancers. I believe they already can
    detect skin cancers.

    Tell the cat to keep up the good work, and give her a treat from all of us.

  5. Quoted message said:

    I read recently about serious plans to train dogs to sniff out cancers. I believe they already can
    detect skin cancers.

    Indeed there are. I'd just love to know how madam can tell I've got a *bad* migraine!

    Quoted message said:

    Tell the cat to keep up the good work, and give her a treat from all of us.

    Will do. Now, if only she'd catch that mole which is wrecking my garden! She's great at catching
    mice, shrews, voles, rats, plus the odd pigeon & rabbit (not bad for a little cat weighing only
    6lbs) and who has delusions of being able to bring down a deer, but somehow, moles elude her fangs
    and claws 🙁 Mind you, the other two felines could get into mole-catching mode too!

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Clean up the waste & get rid of the trapped wind to send a reply

    Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  6. "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Monday I had a bad migraine and spent the day curled up, in the dark,


    being

    Quoted message said:

    ministered to by a certain one-eyed black-furred ladycat who didn't leave


    my

    Quoted message said:

    side, but stayed with me, purring quietly her healing purrs. She is a


    sweetie

    Quoted message said:

    to me when I have a migraine. I don't know *how* she knows when I've got a


    bad

    Quoted message said:

    one, but she does know, and she is such a sweetie of a nurse cat!

    On Tuesday the migraine had gone, but I was left with post-migraine


    fatigue

    Quoted message said:

    which had me exhausted all day, so it was another day mostly curled up


    with a

    Quoted message said:

    purring cat, apart from a quick zoom out early evening to take some


    pictures of

    Quoted message said:

    storm clouds passing by.

    Today the migraine and its fatigue had truly gone, and I was going stir


    crazy.

    Quoted message said:

    The rain, hail and wind outside did not put me off. Interspersed with the


    bad

    Quoted message said:

    weather was glorious sunshine, so I kitted up - long leggings, boots, long sleeved cycling jersey,
    gloves, helmet & waterproof. There was no way I


    was

    Quoted message said:

    going to be indoors another minute. I got my old hybrid bike out - I


    haven't

    Quoted message said:

    ridden it for some eighteen months since getting my Bianchi road bike. But


    I

    Quoted message said:

    just felt in need of riding it today.

    What a change from the road bike! The hybrid is much slower and took a bit


    of

    Quoted message said:

    getting re-used to as it has a more upright riding position than my


    Bianchi and

    Quoted message said:

    the gearing is different. It is still a lovely bike to ride though. Within


    five

    Quoted message said:

    minutes of setting off, the heavens opened and I was covered in small


    lumps of

    Quoted message said:

    ice - hail. I almost turned tail and came home, but I really, really


    needed the

    Quoted message said:

    exercise, so I kept going. Between hail showers the day was glorious. Big


    East

    Quoted message said:

    Anglian skies full of separate storm cells - the sky was wonderful; big vertical cloud walls of
    dark grey and black with the tops high up, and


    sheets

    Quoted message said:

    of grey rain falling from those in the distance, surrounded by areas of


    clear

    Quoted message said:

    blue and fluffy white cumulus with bright sunshine. The wind was fairly


    making

    Quoted message said:

    the clouds scud across the sky, which meant I was under storm clouds on


    several

    Quoted message said:

    occasions to get wet and iced over. I think I got four seasons of weather


    in an

    Quoted message said:

    hour! It was lovely. One minute I was covered in ice, the next it was


    steaming

    Quoted message said:

    off me as I entered bright sunshine.

    My hybrid doesn't have mudguards, so I arrived home with a very wet bottom


    and

    Quoted message said:

    filthy back from all of the water, dirt and grit thrown up by the wheels


    of the

    Quoted message said:

    bike. I also had a very red face from the wind and damp knees. I ran


    upstairs,

    Quoted message said:

    stripped off and soaked in a hot bath full of relaxing bubbles. Glorious.

    The cats think I am mad but I can't wait for tomorrow.

    Cheers, Helen s

    Tuesday, 13 May 2003


    Rather like riding a bike, eh Helen ? Migrane = uphills. Ride out in the elements = downhills.
    Sorry, my philosophy following my JOGLE ride ;-)

    Thanks for your support following my mid-way report by the way. It came direct to my inbox rather
    than to the ng. Tried replying directly but got your return address wrong. Been meaning to thank
    you since.

    Regarding the migrane. I suffer from them occassionally and found the best remedy was ibuprofen,
    specifically Safeways own brand, Cuprofen, for some reason. As a demonstration of just how good
    these were *for me*, I lost it big time to a migrane at work once, to the point where I couldn't
    understand what people were saying to me and when I responded the wrong words came out. I drove
    home, which was probably one of the stupidest things I've done in my life, luckily it was straight
    up the M6 (straight road, 3 lanes to play with, no cyclists, pedestrians, traffic lights or islands
    ;-). Got home, popped a cuprofen, went to bed. I woke up to the phone ringing an hour later. Had no
    idea where or why I was. I was totally disoriented for a few seconds which was amusing for the
    person on the other end of the phone. The migrane had totally disappeared, no after effects or
    anything. In fact, I actually felt refreshed and as if I'd had a good nights sleep! In addition to
    this I managed to avert a migrane I felt coming on after competing in the 1999 London Triathlon. I
    was driving back up the M11 when I started getting the symptoms, vision closing down to the point
    where I lost central vision and had to rely on peripheral. Having taken one as soon as it started,
    the symptoms subsided and I returned to 'normal' fairly soon after the loss of central vision. I
    know they're not as touchy feely as the cat, but if they can work that fast, you could have a little
    lie down with the cat as compensation afterwards. I also appreciate that the same thing doesn't
    always work for everyone. HTH, Cheers, Dave

  7. Quoted message said:

    Rather like riding a bike, eh Helen ? Migrane = uphills. Ride out in the elements = downhills.
    Sorry, my philosophy following my JOGLE ride ;-)

    Ack no - riding a bike is always enjoyable 🙂 Even on a uphill I can get off if it's too long/too
    steep, unlike a s*dding migraine ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for your support following my mid-way report by the way. It came direct to my inbox rather
    than to the ng. Tried replying directly but got your return address wrong. Been meaning to thank
    you since.

    Most welcome - I would *love* to do the JOGLE or the LEJOG, one day - when I'm fitter and leaner!

    Quoted message said:

    Regarding the migrane. I suffer from them occassionally and found the best remedy was ibuprofen,
    specifically Safeways own brand, Cuprofen, for some reason.

    Then snipped...

    Sadly I can't tolerate ibuprofen - only the topical stuff rubbed into say, a sore knee, but to take
    oral ibuprofen is vomit-inducing for me and it is not a pretty sight!

    Your migraines sound very like Vernon's. Thankfully he only gets one or two a year and they are just
    as you describe yours. Mine are different - I don't get the slurring stuff, just the *intense* head
    pain. I've broken bones and gone through childbirth and neither of those are as bad a migraine pain.
    After a bad migraine I am left with post-migraine fatigue which is awful.

    Over the years, and having gone the gamut of all the NHS will offer and all that can be bought over
    the counter, plus acupuncture, the only thing which works for me is magnesium. I take a daily
    magnesium supplement (and calcium as you have to balance these two). The difference for me is
    incredible. At one point I was having almost constant migraines which left me virtually bedridden
    - at one point for almost a year (not nice). Magnesium has had the effect of now I get maybe one a
    month or couple of months and they are of shorter duration, less painful and way less frequent. I
    can cope with this 🙂

    I think it's one of the reasons I so love cycling, even if I am fatbirdonabike
    - after being virtually bedridden, the sheer joy of being able to live a normal life and get out in
    the fresh air on my bike is *wonderful*.

    I must admit, I do worry a bit about Nathan. Migrianes can have a genetic link and as both Vernon
    and I suffer from them, I hope Nathan doesn't develop them.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Clean up the waste & get rid of the trapped wind to send a reply

    Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  8. Four seasons in an hour, eh? I have an horrible suspicion that we'll encounter something very
    similar next weekend when riding to the pub from grate frend gNick's house. Something to do with the
    pub being seventy-five miles away on the opposite side of the Pennines. Urk.

    Dave Larrington - legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uklegslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk
    ===========================================================
    Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    bhpc.org.ukbhpc.org.uk
    ===========================================================

  9. "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Rather like riding a bike, eh Helen ? Migrane = uphills. Ride out in the elements = downhills.
    Sorry, my philosophy following my JOGLE ride ;-)

    Ack no - riding a bike is always enjoyable 🙂 Even on a uphill I can get


    off if

    Quoted message said:

    it's too long/too steep, unlike a s*dding migraine ;-)


    Good point ! - A thousand miles for a duff philosophy, damn!!

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for your support following my mid-way report by the way. It came direct to my inbox rather
    than to the ng. Tried replying directly but got your return address wrong. Been meaning to thank
    you since.

    Most welcome - I would *love* to do the JOGLE or the LEJOG, one day - when


    I'm

    Quoted message said:

    fitter and leaner!


    Don't wait for it, do it now. Promise you will be leaner and fitter by the end of it ;-)...it only
    takes about 3 days to get into your stride....honest!

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Regarding the migrane. I suffer from them occassionally and found the


    best

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    remedy was ibuprofen, specifically Safeways own brand, Cuprofen, for some reason.

    Then snipped...

    Sadly I can't tolerate ibuprofen - only the topical stuff rubbed into say,


    a

    Quoted message said:

    sore knee, but to take oral ibuprofen is vomit-inducing for me and it is


    not a

    Quoted message said:

    pretty sight!


    Now that is a shame. I really do find it a wonder drug, despite what is now coming to light about it
    not being very good for the intestinal tract....
    :-{...hhhmm, thinking about it, maybe you are the lucky one ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    Your migraines sound very like Vernon's. Thankfully he only gets one or


    two a

    Quoted message said:

    year and they are just as you describe yours. Mine are different - I don't


    get

    Quoted message said:

    the slurring stuff, just the *intense* head pain. I've broken bones and


    gone

    Quoted message said:

    through childbirth and neither of those are as bad a migraine pain. After


    a bad

    Quoted message said:

    migraine I am left with post-migraine fatigue which is awful.


    I have had a suspicion that we describe these things, generally as a migrane, whereas they are
    probably different things, with differing causes and symptoms, but 'cos it's 'not very nice stuff
    with the head', it's described as a migrane. I took mine to the docs following the work attack and
    he just said oh, it's just a migrane and looked at me as if to ask why I'd gone to see him..... Mine
    seem to be bought on by excessive exercise followed by eating chocolate. A friend at work reckoned
    it was hypoglycaemia (spelt wrong, I know) I think, so being careful with my diet around exercise
    time is usually sufficient to ward them off. Only get caught out occassionally.

    Quoted message said:

    Over the years, and having gone the gamut of all the NHS will offer and


    all

    Quoted message said:

    that can be bought over the counter, plus acupuncture, the only thing


    which

    Quoted message said:

    works for me is magnesium. I take a daily magnesium supplement (and


    calcium as

    Quoted message said:

    you have to balance these two). The difference for me is incredible.

    Glad to hear it...

    Quoted message said:

    At one point I was having almost constant migraines which left me virtually


    bedridden

    Quoted message said:

    - at one point for almost a year (not nice).

    Big ouch !!

    Quoted message said:

    Magnesium has had the effect of now I get maybe one a month or couple of months and they are of
    shorter duration, less painful and way less frequent. I can cope with this 🙂

    I think it's one of the reasons I so love cycling, even if I am


    fatbirdonabike

    Quoted message said:

    - after being virtually bedridden, the sheer joy of being able to live a


    normal

    Quoted message said:

    life and get out in the fresh air on my bike is *wonderful*.

    I must admit, I do worry a bit about Nathan. Migrianes can have a genetic


    link

    Quoted message said:

    and as both Vernon and I suffer from them, I hope Nathan doesn't develop


    them.

    Quoted message said:


    Hopefully progress will provide 'the answer' in the near future.....

    Quoted message said:

    Cheers, helen s


    Indeed ;-), Dave.

  10. [email hidden] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Indeed there are. I'd just love to know how madam can tell I've got a *bad* migraine!

    Probably a mixture of body language and telepathy.

    --
    Dave...

  11. "Dave Larrington" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Four seasons in an hour, eh? I have an horrible suspicion that we'll encounter something very
    similar next weekend when riding to the pub from grate frend gNick's house. Something to do with
    the pub being seventy-five miles away on the opposite side of the Pennines. Urk.

    Just a quick one then nip back?

    --
    Dave...

  12. Dave Kahn said:
    Dave Larrington said:

    Four seasons in an hour, eh? I have an horrible suspicion that we'll encounter something very
    similar next weekend when riding to the pub from grate frend gNick's house. Something to do with
    the pub being seventy-five miles away on the opposite side of the Pennines. Urk.

    Just a quick one then nip back?

    Something like that. Give or take spending the night in the handy B&B at the end of the block...

    Actually, the 5-day forecast seems to be showing improbably good weather for the weekend. [FX: Man
    clasping desk with enough force to leave dents in MDF or whatever evil mank the thing is made from]

    Dave Larrington - legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uklegslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk
    ===========================================================
    Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    bhpc.org.ukbhpc.org.uk
    ===========================================================

  13. Following on from John Hearns's message. . .

    Quoted message said:

    Tell the cat to keep up the good work, and give her a treat from all of us.


    Take her with you - fit kitty cranks.
    --
    PETER FOX Not the same since the statuette business went bust

    Witham Cycling Campaign www.eminent.demon.co.uk/wcc.htm East Anglian Pub cycle rides
    www.eminent.demon.co.uk/rides

  14. On 13 May 2003 21:40:35 GMT, [email hidden] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    "four seasons in an hour..."

    That's nothing. I once ate an American Hot with extra pepperoni in under five minutes...

    Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. chapmancentral.comchapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    work. Apologies.

  15. Quoted message said:

    That's nothing. I once ate an American Hot with extra pepperoni in under five minutes...

    Piglet.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Clean up the waste & get rid of the trapped wind to send a reply

    Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.