Frame size

Jean Li

Guest
I did a calculation (from the net) which says my ideal frame size is a 19 inch frame. But DB
mountain bikes only come in 18 inch or 20 inch. Ask which should I go for.

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 17:32:57 +1000, Jean Li did issue forth:

> I did a calculation (from the net) which says my ideal frame size is a 19 inch frame. But DB
> mountain bikes only come in 18 inch or 20 inch. Ask which should I go for.

Whichever one you feel most comfortable with. Try before you buy and all that.

Huw "The numbers mean nuffin" Pritchard

i had the same kind of "problem" when i got my bike and i opted for the bigger size

however now i really wish i'd went for the smaller one

depends on the kind of riding you do

technical riding - get smaller size endurance riding - get larger size

however make sure you try both them out liek the other guys said

"Jean Li" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I did a calculation (from the net) which says my ideal frame size is a 19 inch frame. But DB
> mountain bikes only come in 18 inch or 20 inch. Ask which should I go for.

RE/
>I did a calculation (from the net) which says my ideal frame size is a 19 inch frame. But DB
>mountain bikes only come in 18 inch or 20 inch. Ask which should I go for.

One thing to consider is how high you like your bars relative to the saddle. Somewhere I recall
seeing something like a 1.5" limit on the number of spacer rings allowed before some sort of
excess-stress factor kicks in.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

"Jean Li" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I did a calculation (from the net) which says my ideal frame size is a 19 inch frame. But DB
> mountain bikes only come in 18 inch or 20 inch. Ask which should I go for.

Get the smaller. Provided that it is comfortable too. Easier to put seat up one inch than to install
silicon testicles to replace old ones crushed by a too little clearance over too high top tube.
--
Westie

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Jean Li" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I did a calculation (from the net) which says my ideal frame size is a 19 inch frame. But DB
> > mountain bikes only come in 18 inch or 20 inch. Ask which should I go for.
> >

> Get the smaller. Provided that it is comfortable too. Easier to put seat up one inch than to
> install silicon testicles to
replace
> old ones crushed by a too little clearance over too high top tube.
> --
> Westie

In this case, I'd say 18" sounds right. However, don't always go by that. Top tube is most important
- changing stem lengths effects steering, changing saddle fore/aft position effects pedaling.
Neither one is good to screw up. If you go too big though, you're screwed on both anyway ;)

You really have to test ride them and see what feels right. I was between the medium and large for
the blur (by SC's tables, I was 1" too tall for the medium), and the large just felt right to me -
everything fell right where it should. The medium made me feel cramped, although it did feel a
little easier to flick around.

Jon Bond