Frame size

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jean Li, Jun 4, 2003.

  1. Jean Li

    Jean Li Guest

    I did a calculation (from the net) which says my ideal frame size is a 19 inch frame. But DB
    mountain bikes only come in 18 inch or 20 inch. Ask which should I go for.

    Tags:

  2. On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 17:32:57 +1000, Jean Li did issue forth:

    > I did a calculation (from the net) which says my ideal frame size is a 19 inch frame. But DB
    > mountain bikes only come in 18 inch or 20 inch. Ask which should I go for.

    Whichever one you feel most comfortable with. Try before you buy and all that.

    Huw "The numbers mean nuffin" Pritchard

  3. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  4. i had the same kind of "problem" when i got my bike and i opted for the bigger size

    however now i really wish i'd went for the smaller one

    depends on the kind of riding you do

    technical riding - get smaller size endurance riding - get larger size

    however make sure you try both them out liek the other guys said

    "Jean Li" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I did a calculation (from the net) which says my ideal frame size is a 19 inch frame. But DB
    > mountain bikes only come in 18 inch or 20 inch. Ask which should I go for.

  5. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >I did a calculation (from the net) which says my ideal frame size is a 19 inch frame. But DB
    >mountain bikes only come in 18 inch or 20 inch. Ask which should I go for.

    One thing to consider is how high you like your bars relative to the saddle. Somewhere I recall
    seeing something like a 1.5" limit on the number of spacer rings allowed before some sort of
    excess-stress factor kicks in.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  6. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Jean Li" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I did a calculation (from the net) which says my ideal frame size is a 19 inch frame. But DB
    > mountain bikes only come in 18 inch or 20 inch. Ask which should I go for.

    Get the smaller. Provided that it is comfortable too. Easier to put seat up one inch than to install
    silicon testicles to replace old ones crushed by a too little clearance over too high top tube.
    --
    Westie

  7. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Jean Li" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I did a calculation (from the net) which says my ideal frame size is a 19 inch frame. But DB
    > > mountain bikes only come in 18 inch or 20 inch. Ask which should I go for.
    > >

    > Get the smaller. Provided that it is comfortable too. Easier to put seat up one inch than to
    > install silicon testicles to
    replace
    > old ones crushed by a too little clearance over too high top tube.
    > --
    > Westie

    In this case, I'd say 18" sounds right. However, don't always go by that. Top tube is most important
    - changing stem lengths effects steering, changing saddle fore/aft position effects pedaling.
    Neither one is good to screw up. If you go too big though, you're screwed on both anyway ;)

    You really have to test ride them and see what feels right. I was between the medium and large for
    the blur (by SC's tables, I was 1" too tall for the medium), and the large just felt right to me -
    everything fell right where it should. The medium made me feel cramped, although it did feel a
    little easier to flick around.

    Jon Bond