Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Frame spacing + campy 7speed question

Started by jlee · · Last activity · 8 posts · 398 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
3 August 2006
Last activity
3 August 2006
Original author
jlee
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
398
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I just picked up an expertly (hand) made steel bike with TSX tubing and
    it has 126mm spacing. I've read many of the past posts (including
    Sheldon's DIY guide) and understand what's involved in changing to
    130mm spacing.

    I'd like to keep the current spacing so I could use either 7sp wheels
    or newer ones. My first question is for those who have been using 130mm
    hubs in 126mm spacing (for more than a year). Have you experienced any
    issues with dropout alighnment (which is recognized to be very little
    for 4mm diff), such as problems with bent axles, skewers...etc? I'm
    about to have the frame repainted so would like to make a decision
    whether or not to cold set to 130mm.

    Second question is regarding Campy 7speed ergopower. I have new 7speed
    ergos that I can use with this bike. What cassettes does this work
    with? Only campy cassettes or all 7speeds? I know Campy and Shimano are
    interchangeable for 9/10 (and even 8 with modifications) but 7 speeds
    are before my time.

    Thanks,
    Josh

  2. jlee said:

    I just picked up an expertly (hand) made steel bike with TSX tubing and
    it has 126mm spacing.

    I'd like to keep the current spacing so I could use either 7sp wheels
    or newer ones.

    Why not re-space it to 128mm? That way it would easily accomodate 126
    or 130 hubs.

    Art Harris

  3. jlee said:

    I just picked up an expertly (hand) made steel bike with TSX tubing and
    it has 126mm spacing. I've read many of the past posts (including
    Sheldon's DIY guide) and understand what's involved in changing to
    130mm spacing.

    I'd like to keep the current spacing so I could use either 7sp wheels
    or newer ones. My first question is for those who have been using 130mm
    hubs in 126mm spacing (for more than a year). Have you experienced any
    issues with dropout alighnment (which is recognized to be very little
    for 4mm diff), such as problems with bent axles, skewers...etc? I'm
    about to have the frame repainted so would like to make a decision
    whether or not to cold set to 130mm.

    Ya know, you can more easily modify a 126mm hub to 130mm(add 2mm to
    each end of the axle) than shove a 130mm wheel into a 126mm rear
    end...'may' cause damage but 'cold setting' is so easy, the best way to
    go, IMO.

    Quoted message said:


    Second question is regarding Campy 7speed ergopower. I have new 7speed
    ergos that I can use with this bike. What cassettes does this work
    with? Only campy cassettes or all 7speeds? I know Campy and Shimano are
    interchangeable for 9/10 (and even 8 with modifications) but 7 speeds
    are before my time.

    Me thinks you are counting 7 clicks and assuming a '7s Ergo'..no such
    animal. ERGO for Campag started at 8s..8s Campag spacing is 5mm ctr to
    ctr. shimano is a bit closer together. Most freewheels are 5mm c-c. ,

    Quoted message said:


    Thanks,
    Josh

  4. jlee said:

    I just picked up an expertly (hand) made steel bike with TSX tubing
    and it has 126mm spacing. I've read many of the past posts (including
    Sheldon's DIY guide) and understand what's involved in changing to
    130mm spacing.

    I'd like to keep the current spacing so I could use either 7sp wheels
    or newer ones. My first question is for those who have been using
    130mm hubs in 126mm spacing (for more than a year). Have you
    experienced any issues with dropout alighnment (which is recognized
    to be very little for 4mm diff), such as problems with bent axles,
    skewers...etc? I'm about to have the frame repainted so would like to
    make a decision whether or not to cold set to 130mm.

    I've ridden a 126mm spaced frame with a 130mm axle, 700c wheels, for 16
    years. It has horizontal forward facing dropouts, with screw adjuster stops.
    My partner's bike is a 135mm width frame running on 130mm hub/axle, 26in MTB
    diameter wheels, 7 years old. This has vertical drop-outs, like most
    modern bikes.

    Both bikes running on their original hubs, axles and skewers. Both are steel
    frames (mine is Reynolds 531 double butted, hers is non-name CroMo), used as
    tourers and ordinary daily transport. Mild occaisional off-road use on
    gravel/dirt hard tracks.

    Apart from needing to apply a little push to get the wheel into the frame,
    the use of different axle lengths has had no noticable effect whatsoever.

    I've also got a 7 speed screw-on hub in a 120mm width bike (old 27inch
    wheels, 27 1/4 tyres), with no springing outwards of the rear end. I've no
    idea how that fits, because everything I've read said its impossible.

    - Nigel

    --
    Nigel Cliffe,
    Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

  5. What-da-ya-know, Peter's right. I checked my ergos which I bought
    advertised as 7sp. They do have 7 clicks which means they are 8sp
    ergos. Thanks for the heads up Peter.

    To respond to Art's comment to respace to 128, I don't think there's
    any point as if I do respace, I'll go all the way to 130 (which again
    we're talking only 2mm on each side for 126-130) or not go at all and
    leave as is. I'm just accumulating more 7sp wheels and there's pretty
    much no point in selling them as they're not worth much anymore so I'm
    thinking of using them but I don't know much about freewheels (never
    used'em myself) and their availability (or even if it's worth buying
    them at all when 8/9 cassettes are so cheap ~30-40$).

    Thanks Nigel for your response. I'm leaning towards leaving the 126 and
    using both types of wheels. I think 'll put on Dura Ace 9sp down-tube
    shifters that I have as a backup and use friction mode when necessary.

    FYI, the frame is a Ryffranck which is hand/custom built by Mr.
    Ryffranck who's in Sherbrooke, Quebec. I had a chance to speak with him
    and though he does not build as many frames as he used to, he's still
    does (only custom, of course, as always). Like a few skilled custom
    builders, he said he's never done any marketing - just word of mouth
    and he had plenty of stories of people who loved the bike he made them,
    similar to Dave Moulton's website stories. Check-out:
    http://www.extractmarketing.com/ryffranck/ for an outdated website that
    has some info.

    He used to be a tool maker and so his precision is absolute. (My rear
    spacing is exactly 126.0mm). If anyone wanted a masterfully made custom
    steel (1400~1500g for the frame), you should consider him. He doesn't
    paint the bike himself (normally Marinoni (his close friend) does that
    for him) as he is purely devoted to making the perfect bike, not
    necessarily the best looking ones.

    Finally, I was glad to learn that he's been building wheels for many,
    many years and even spoke with (and learned from) Gerd Shraner in
    Germany a few years back. He does soldering (the spokes) though he says
    only few clients understand/ask for this. As many master wheelbuilders,
    he warranties the wheels for life (the build, not the parts). I plan to
    get two wheelset built by him (tub and clincher).

    For the sceptics, I don't know him personally and will in no way profit
    from my positive description of him.

    Josh

    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:
    jlee said:

    I just picked up an expertly (hand) made steel bike with TSX tubing and
    it has 126mm spacing. I've read many of the past posts (including
    Sheldon's DIY guide) and understand what's involved in changing to
    130mm spacing.

    I'd like to keep the current spacing so I could use either 7sp wheels
    or newer ones. My first question is for those who have been using 130mm
    hubs in 126mm spacing (for more than a year). Have you experienced any
    issues with dropout alighnment (which is recognized to be very little
    for 4mm diff), such as problems with bent axles, skewers...etc? I'm
    about to have the frame repainted so would like to make a decision
    whether or not to cold set to 130mm.

    Ya know, you can more easily modify a 126mm hub to 130mm(add 2mm to
    each end of the axle) than shove a 130mm wheel into a 126mm rear
    end...'may' cause damage but 'cold setting' is so easy, the best way to
    go, IMO.

    Quoted message said:


    Second question is regarding Campy 7speed ergopower. I have new 7speed
    ergos that I can use with this bike. What cassettes does this work
    with? Only campy cassettes or all 7speeds? I know Campy and Shimano are
    interchangeable for 9/10 (and even 8 with modifications) but 7 speeds
    are before my time.

    Me thinks you are counting 7 clicks and assuming a '7s Ergo'..no such
    animal. ERGO for Campag started at 8s..8s Campag spacing is 5mm ctr to
    ctr. shimano is a bit closer together. Most freewheels are 5mm c-c. ,

    Quoted message said:


    Thanks,
    Josh

  6. jlee said:

    What-da-ya-know, Peter's right. I checked my ergos which I bought
    advertised as 7sp. They do have 7 clicks which means they are 8sp
    ergos. Thanks for the heads up Peter.

    To respond to Art's comment to respace to 128, I don't think there's
    any point as if I do respace, I'll go all the way to 130 (which again
    we're talking only 2mm on each side for 126-130) or not go at all and
    leave as is. I'm just accumulating more 7sp wheels and there's pretty
    much no point in selling them as they're not worth much anymore so I'm
    thinking of using them but I don't know much about freewheels (never
    used'em myself) and their availability (or even if it's worth buying
    them at all when 8/9 cassettes are so cheap ~30-40$).

    Thanks Nigel for your response. I'm leaning towards leaving the 126 and
    using both types of wheels. I think 'll put on Dura Ace 9sp down-tube
    shifters that I have as a backup and use friction mode when necessary.

    FYI, the frame is a Ryffranck which is hand/custom built by Mr.
    Ryffranck who's in Sherbrooke, Quebec. I had a chance to speak with him
    and though he does not build as many frames as he used to, he's still
    does (only custom, of course, as always). Like a few skilled custom
    builders, he said he's never done any marketing - just word of mouth
    and he had plenty of stories of people who loved the bike he made them,
    similar to Dave Moulton's website stories. Check-out:
    http://www.extractmarketing.com/ryffranck/ for an outdated website that
    has some info.

    He used to be a tool maker and so his precision is absolute. (My rear
    spacing is exactly 126.0mm). If anyone wanted a masterfully made custom
    steel (1400~1500g for the frame), you should consider him. He doesn't
    paint the bike himself (normally Marinoni (his close friend) does that
    for him) as he is purely devoted to making the perfect bike, not
    necessarily the best looking ones.

    Finally, I was glad to learn that he's been building wheels for many,
    many years and even spoke with (and learned from) Gerd Shraner in
    Germany a few years back. He does soldering (the spokes) though he says
    only few clients understand/ask for this. As many master wheelbuilders,
    he warranties the wheels for life (the build, not the parts). I plan to
    get two wheelset built by him (tub and clincher).

    Gerd is the man, when it comes to wheelbuilding..

    Quoted message said:


    For the sceptics, I don't know him personally and will in no way profit
    from my positive description of him.

    Josh

    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:
    jlee said:

    I just picked up an expertly (hand) made steel bike with TSX tubing and
    it has 126mm spacing. I've read many of the past posts (including
    Sheldon's DIY guide) and understand what's involved in changing to
    130mm spacing.

    I'd like to keep the current spacing so I could use either 7sp wheels
    or newer ones. My first question is for those who have been using 130mm
    hubs in 126mm spacing (for more than a year). Have you experienced any
    issues with dropout alighnment (which is recognized to be very little
    for 4mm diff), such as problems with bent axles, skewers...etc? I'm
    about to have the frame repainted so would like to make a decision
    whether or not to cold set to 130mm.

    Ya know, you can more easily modify a 126mm hub to 130mm(add 2mm to
    each end of the axle) than shove a 130mm wheel into a 126mm rear
    end...'may' cause damage but 'cold setting' is so easy, the best way to
    go, IMO.

    Quoted message said:


    Second question is regarding Campy 7speed ergopower. I have new 7speed
    ergos that I can use with this bike. What cassettes does this work
    with? Only campy cassettes or all 7speeds? I know Campy and Shimano are
    interchangeable for 9/10 (and even 8 with modifications) but 7 speeds
    are before my time.

    Me thinks you are counting 7 clicks and assuming a '7s Ergo'..no such
    animal. ERGO for Campag started at 8s..8s Campag spacing is 5mm ctr to
    ctr. shimano is a bit closer together. Most freewheels are 5mm c-c. ,

    Quoted message said:


    Thanks,
    Josh

  7. jlee said:

    I just picked up an expertly (hand) made steel bike with TSX tubing and
    it has 126mm spacing. I've read many of the past posts (including
    Sheldon's DIY guide) and understand what's involved in changing to
    130mm spacing.

    I'd like to keep the current spacing so I could use either 7sp wheels
    or newer ones. My first question is for those who have been using 130mm
    hubs in 126mm spacing (for more than a year). Have you experienced any
    issues with dropout alighnment (which is recognized to be very little
    for 4mm diff), such as problems with bent axles, skewers...etc? I'm
    about to have the frame repainted so would like to make a decision
    whether or not to cold set to 130mm.

    I've got a '81 Raleigh Pro w/ Campy horizontal dropouts, 126mm. Been
    riding it for a couple of years now with a 130mm 9-speed Campy Veloce hub.

    No problems of any kind, though probably only about 2000 miles on this
    setup (It's now my rain-training bike). Just the slightest bit trickier
    reinstalling the rear wheel after a flat, but no problem worth worrying
    about. Oh, wait - I'm a bit short on chain clearance in the 52/13 gear,
    but I think this is more due to the shape of the dropout/seatstay join
    than the dropout width.

    Mark J.

  8. jlee said:


    Quoted message said:

    I just picked up an expertly (hand) made steel bike with TSX tubing and
    it has 126mm spacing. I've read many of the past posts (including
    Sheldon's DIY guide) and understand what's involved in changing to
    130mm spacing.

    I'd like to keep the current spacing so I could use either 7sp wheels
    or newer ones. My first question is for those who have been using 130mm
    hubs in 126mm spacing (for more than a year). Have you experienced any
    issues with dropout alighnment (which is recognized to be very little
    for 4mm diff), such as problems with bent axles, skewers...etc? I'm
    about to have the frame repainted so would like to make a decision
    whether or not to cold set to 130mm.



    Peter Chisholm scritta:

    Quoted message said:


    Ya know, you can more easily modify a 126mm hub to 130mm(add 2mm to
    each end of the axle)

    That will work, but it would be better to stick all 4 mm of spacers on
    the left end then reduce the dish of the wheel.

    This would maintain the relationship betwixt the derailer and the
    cluster, and would also make the wheel stronger.

    Quoted message said:

    than shove a 130mm wheel into a 126mm rear
    end...'may' cause damage but 'cold setting' is so easy, the best way to
    go, IMO.

    I agree.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Second question is regarding Campy 7speed ergopower. I have new 7speed
    ergos that I can use with this bike. What cassettes does this work
    with? Only campy cassettes or all 7speeds? I know Campy and Shimano are
    interchangeable for 9/10 (and even 8 with modifications) but 7 speeds
    are before my time.

    Me thinks you are counting 7 clicks and assuming a '7s Ergo'..no such
    animal. ERGO for Campag started at 8s..8s Campag spacing is 5mm ctr to
    ctr. shimano is a bit closer together. Most freewheels are 5mm c-c. ,

    Shimano 8-speed is 4.8 mm. Pretty much everybody's 7-speeds were 5 mm,
    though some SunTours were variable across the cluster.

    8-speed Ergo setups work great with 7-speed clusters. Folks sometimes
    wonder about an 'extra click' but there won't actually be an extra click
    if the derailer's limit stop screws are adjusted correctly.

    Sheldon "http://sheldonbrown.com/speeds" Brown
    +-------------------------------------------------------+
    | Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. |
    | --Theodore Roosevelt |
    +-------------------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.