Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

free bike GVBR

Started by David Lindstrom · · Last activity · 6 posts · 743 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
13 November 2005
Last activity
13 November 2005
Original author
David Lindstrom
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
743
Views / 30 days
1

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. What's the model of bike that you get free with entry into the great
    Victorian bike ride?

  2. David Lindstrom said:

    What's the model of bike that you get free with entry into the great
    Victorian bike ride?


    Entries have closed, so even if you actually wanted one, you cant have it.
    Anyway, this is it: http://tinyurl.com/8cw32

    I got the MTB version from last years GVBR, chose a frame size for my
    13yo son as I rode my own bike on the ride. He refused to go anywhere
    near it until I painted it and put some "fully sick" stickers on it. All
    of which didnt stop the crank falling off the bike when we attempted to
    go for a ride this morning. Its just one of those bikes where bits fall
    off it at regular intervals.

    Actually, I'm more than a little [censored] with BV at the moment. The
    email address I gave them way back when, is now receiving regular spam
    email... I own a domain and made up a special address that was ONLY for
    them and have never used it for anything else, so either BV have sold
    the addresses (say it aint so) or some low life spamming gutter slug has
    managed to get the addresses out of them by subterfuge. Either way, BV suck.

    Flaps

  3. Flaps said:


    I got the MTB version from last years GVBR, chose a frame size for my
    13yo son as I rode my own bike on the ride. He refused to go anywhere
    near it until I painted it and put some "fully sick" stickers on it. All
    of which didnt stop the crank falling off the bike when we attempted to
    go for a ride this morning. Its just one of those bikes where bits fall
    off it at regular intervals.

    Actually, I'm more than a little [censored] with BV at the moment. The
    email address I gave them way back when, is now receiving regular spam
    email... I own a domain and made up a special address that was ONLY for
    them and have never used it for anything else, so either BV have sold
    the addresses (say it aint so) or some low life spamming gutter slug has
    managed to get the addresses out of them by subterfuge. Either way, BV suck.

    Flaps

    i was rather dubious about the orange/purple mtb bikes last year, altho I still see alot of people out on them, so that cant be a bad thing.
    Be interested to hear who put your son's bike together. this has caused some 'friction' in the community (I'll let others expalin that one)

    As for the email/spam issue. you are the 2nd person (Stu L the other) who gets spam to a BV-specific email. I shall bring it up at the next Board meeting if possible

    cheers
    FD

  4. flyingdutch said:

    As for the email/spam issue. you are the 2nd person (Stu L the other)
    who gets spam to a BV-specific email. I shall bring it up at the next
    Board meeting if possible

    cheers
    FD

    I'd appreciate that. Let me know if you would like me to forward the
    emails to you if you want evidence.

    Meanwhile, back on topic, just got back from a circuit round the capital
    city trail and it was full of people on new BV bikes. I didnt get a
    close look at any of them, but at first glance they look VERY similar to
    last years ones apart from the colours and the 700C wheels.

    Flaps.

  5. quote='Flaps'flyingdutch said:

    As for the email/spam issue. you are the 2nd person (Stu L the other)
    who gets spam to a BV-specific email. I shall bring it up at the next
    Board meeting if possible

    cheers
    FD

    I'd appreciate that. Let me know if you would like me to forward the
    emails to you if you want evidence.

    Meanwhile, back on topic, just got back from a circuit round the capital
    city trail and it was full of people on new BV bikes. I didnt get a
    close look at any of them, but at first glance they look VERY similar to
    last years ones apart from the colours and the 700C wheels.

    Flaps.[/QUOTE]
    below is the BV site pitch on the '05 bike, tinyurl.com8cw32

    Per BV website:-
    How we selected the bike

    We gathered a group of cyclists who have been pedalling for many years. They included some of the management team at Bicycle Victoria, bike mechanics, bike shop owners and many people from the bicycle industry. Firstly, we created a list of all the things we wanted on the bike, perfect for riding the VicRoads Great Victorian Bike Ride®.

    We also wanted a bike that would be great for getting around in everyday life. That list became very long as we argued every aspect of a bicycle, and an amazing outcome of the process was that we reached an agreement on the bike we wanted for VicRoads Great Victorian Bike Ride® participants!

    Your bike size

    It is critical that your bike is the right size for you. Look at the Free Bike Sizing guide to ensure your bike is the right size.

    Bike specs

    • 700C Alloy rims
    • alloy hubs
    • a triple crankset
    • 21 gears (including low gears)
    • v-brakes

    ******************************************************(end)
    The graphic on BV's site looks like it is a lemon colour this year ( maybe that's apt !).

    I applaud the general idea to get a bike out there for those who hesitate about buying a new one, and not wanting to outlay too many readies for a first up try...and giving it to someone in need is a plus too.....

    Horses for courses, we all started somewhere, and these basic treddlies will be fine for some...I wouldnt be too keen to take one all that far, but being a fuss-pot when it comes to my veloci-steed the freebie isnt on...I'd give it to a school for bike -ed anyway....

    I guess some will like theirs, some may even love 'em...

    what ever spins your wheel.

    cheers

    drink more goat

    roo

  6. rooman said:


    I applaud the general idea to get a bike out there for those who hesitate about buying a new one, and not wanting to outlay too many readies for a first up try...and giving it to someone in need is a plus too.....

    I got one of these from my brother-in-law who did the GVBR last year (he's got a decent bike, so didn't need it).
    I must admit, it is pretty crappy, but it served its purpose. After 20 years off the saddle, this was my re-introduction to riding. It served me well for 6 months, and 1000 km, which was enough to convince me that riding was not a passing phase, and I bought a road bike. If it wasn't for that, I'd still be pondering whether or not I should shell out a few dollars for something that may never get used.
    I still use it to pop down to the local shops when I can't be bothered with changing shoes for the roadie.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.