FREE freemount

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling archive' started by 1wheel, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. 1wheel

    1wheel Guest

    I am getting to where, much of the time ,I can freemount
    with a 4X4 behind the wheel. PROBLEM; Without the 4X4 I get
    nowhere. Not even a hint of getting on the uni. ?Any advice?

    --
    1wheel

    Minnesota for the "open water" season.
    1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6427

  2. Darchibald

    Darchibald Guest

    I think I know your problem. Without the 4x4 when you step
    on the pedal with your lead foot the wheel rolls back and
    you step over the other pedal with your other foot. Sorry
    for the confusion there. Just think instead of bringing the
    wheel under you..., you go over the wheel. When you put your
    lead foot on the pedal don't put your weight on it, until
    you can put it evenly on both pedals. Try to make it so the
    wheel doesn't move ( as opposed to rolling back) and you
    just lift, kinda like a jump but not quite, on to the seat.

    I had the same problem until I saw someone else do one, so
    try and find a video of one or see someone actually do it.

    Hope this helps, David

    Any further questions and just reply back.

    --
    darchibald - Unofficial level 3.9

    "Testacles still intact" ~ My mom's reaction after watching me do a
    suicide mount.
    darchibald's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6240

  3. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:38:56 -0500, "1wheel" wrote:

    >PROBLEM; Without the 4X4 I get nowhere. Not even a hint of
    >getting on the uni. ?Any advice?

    In addition to the other good suggestions: try a 3X3, then a
    2X2, then a 1X1 (or similar, you get the idea). Mounting on
    a downslope may help too.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    be sure to remove the saddle and simply sit on the seat
    post. this is far more comfortable - tennisgh22 on the

  4. I'm about to make a little video tutorial on various forms of
    freemounts. It should be done in the next few days. I'll put it up for
    download and it will eventually also go on
    http://tutorials.unicyclist.com (you can see a sample of what it will
    ook like at - http://www.freewebs.com/andrewcarter/template1.htm).

    Something to think about for now though is when you're doing
    the mount, really focus on bending the leg that's connected
    to the rear pedal. Without bending that leg, static mounts
    are a lot more difficult. Also, try to shirt your whole body
    forward with a bit more force so you don't have to rely on
    the block of wood. One thing that may help you is to set
    yourself up in front of a wall or something and try to just
    sit there on the unicycle with only the rear foot on the
    pedal. Push against the wall a bit, and you'll be forced to
    apply only a bit of pressure to that rear pedal to stay in
    the one spot. Hopefully that will help a little.

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

  5. Try putting your rear pedal at 6 o'clock (straight down).
    With your weak foot on the rear pedal, allow the uni to
    roll forward a little as you hop onto the front pedal at
    2 o'clock. This method gives you a little forward
    momentum and helps to "lighten" the load on your rear
    pedal. This procedure worked very well for me when I was
    learning to freemount
    :)

    --
    Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

    If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

    Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

  6. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 02:36:03 -0500, "andrew_carter" wrote:

    >> Mounting on a downslope may help
    >Excellent idea! I'll add that to my copy of our 'Learning
    >to Unicycle' document to go on tutorials.unicyclist.com if
    >you don't mind.

    Andrew, I don't mind at all. What's more: it IS in the
    document, at least in the version that's available from my
    site. I don't know whether I added it or you wrote it in the
    first place.

    I occasionally make small edits (which I think of as
    improvements) to the doc on my site without asking your
    permission. Hope *you* don't mind.

    If we want the docs on both of our sites synchronised (
    which I think would be nice) we have to work out something.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    be sure to remove the saddle and simply sit on the seat
    post. this is far more comfortable - tennisgh22 on the
    comfort of Savage unis

  7. Joemc

    Joemc Guest

    1wheel wrote:
    > *I am getting to where, much of the time ,I can freemount
    > with a 4X4 behind the wheel. PROBLEM; Without the 4X4 I
    > get nowhere. Not even a hint of getting on the uni. ?Any
    > advice? *

    Swap out the 4x4 for a 2x4, then later a 1x4! When
    teaching the kids, I got them to start against a sloping
    kerb, and gradually move along it so the 'block' became
    lower. When you can do it on a 1x4 or less, it's an easy
    step to using nothing.

    --
    joemc - mostly harmless
    joemc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3389

  8. > Mounting on a downslope may help
    Excellent idea! I'll add that to my copy of our 'Learning to
    Unicycle' document to go on tutorials.unicyclist.com if you
    don't mind.

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

  9. Onewheeldave

    Onewheeldave Guest

    If you're trying to do a static mount (ie so the
    cranks/wheel stay still unitl you're fully on), a good
    analogy is to think of that thing kids do where one lays on
    the ground and the other makes as if he's going to step on
    his belly and walk over. The way the leg has to be
    completely unweighted is the same kind of thing you need to
    do with your foot on the rear crank.

    Another tip, especially with bigger wheels (muni, 29-ers
    etc) is to push the wheel slightly forwards just prior to
    jumping on with the front foot; this counteracts any weight
    you put on the rear foot- but don't overdo the push,
    otherwise you'll end up going over the front.

    --
    onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

    "He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
    the Muni that really fires him up."

    onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

  10. Underdog

    Underdog Guest

    onewheeldave wrote:
    > * Another tip, especially with bigger wheels (muni, 29-ers
    > etc) is to push the wheel slightly forwards just prior to
    > jumping on with the front foot; this counteracts any
    > weight you put on the rear foot- but don't overdo the
    > push, otherwise you'll end up going over the front. *

    I'm just starting to gain some consistency w/ my freemount
    and this really helped me. I had a friend show me how
    which really helped. I find that if I can push just hard
    enough to get the back foot moving up just slightly I have
    a much easier time riding off. Good luck. Practice,
    practice, practice and remember, there are probably as
    many different ways to learn to ride as there are riders.
    Consider all the advice, try different stuff and find what
    works best for you.

    --
    underdog - level 1 rider

    toast is god's way of saying 'eat more butter'
    underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

  11. 1wheel

    1wheel Guest

    Thank all you all for the advice. I will be reading it over
    several times. I crashed , sideways, last eve and now have a
    brused hip so I will have a couple days to plan my next move
    on the uni. Nothing serious. I am still walking but sitting
    on a toilet seat is a bummer.

    Jumping on the seat sounds like a killer. Those "hanging
    things" can be very painfull. Using my 4x4, I set the seat
    in firm, wiggle as necessary, and kind of hop up. O well;
    Thats the way it is riding a pointed stick with a wheel on
    the bottom.:rolleyes:

    --
    1wheel

    Minnesota for the "open water" season.
    1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6427

  12. Ah, I didn't realise that. I have got the most recent
    version as I downloaded it from your site when I couldn't
    find my copy on this computer.

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

  13. I did some filming today for tutorials for static mounts,
    roll-back mounts, rolling mounts, side mounts, suicide
    mounts, and idling. So far I've made a static mount video
    tutorial. I hope it helps a little. There's a 2.1MB and a
    4.9MB version available at
    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album112 (I'm uploading it now
    so it will be there in a few minutes). I'll edit the rest of
    the footage soon enough.

    Andrew