rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Free mount...

Started by rider_04 · · Last activity · 24 posts · 302 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
19 July 2007
Last activity
3 October 2007
Original author
rider_04
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
302
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–24 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. sockmonster said:

    When I started freemounting, I'd start with the pedals near vertical (at
    11 and 5, we'll say), and I'd hold the wheel with my hand when I
    stepped up to the top pedal. That kept the wheel from rocking back, or
    anything, and also helped get my body weight going forward, so I could
    take right off.

    As far as I know, only my brother and I have learned this way, but it
    was easier for me than learning the other mounts.

    I learned this way too, because there was no one around to tell me any
    different.
    When I eventually met other unicyclists at BUC they were surprised to
    say the least that I mount this way.
    They did try to teach me the proper way, with the pedals at a more
    vertical postition, but I'm afraid I have lapsed back to my old ways
    (sorry Norry).

    --
    Into the blue

    \"alright you primitive screwheads, listen up! you see this? this... is
    my boom stick!\"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Into the blue's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12084
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62768

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  2. Into the blue said:

    I learned this way too, because there was no one around to tell me any
    different.
    When I eventually met other unicyclists at BUC they were surprised to
    say the least that I mount this way.
    They did try to teach me the proper way, with the pedals at a more
    vertical postition, but I'm afraid I have lapsed back to my old ways
    (sorry Norry).

    That sounds like a rolling mount, Just walking onto the pedals and let
    your momentum carry you forward. Its a very smooth mount, and I do it
    the most, because ill walk a few step and just step on.

    Besides that, I do a lot of static mounts too, so I mount right into my
    hopping position, which is good for trials, when you are starting on a
    rock or a skinny, or if I need to mount on a certain line/point so my
    pedals are in the right position for whatever I am about to do, like a
    gap or something.

    --
    Jerrick

    ~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
    more!~*~
    '!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
    '!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
    'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
    My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jerrick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11632
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62768

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  3. Just don't quit. Once I could actually ride, I thought freemounting
    would be no big deal. Ha. Trying to figure out how to do it felt a bit
    like starting over again, and felt mildly embarassing (I imagined all
    my neighbours thinking "geez - she STILL can't ride that thing?)

    The first time I successfully freemounted, it was on a day when I had
    maybe a hundred failed attempts. Then I managed 2 freemounts in a
    hundred attempts. Then 5. And so on. Once I could do it about 10% of
    the time, I forced myself to go for longer rides, and wouldn't let
    myself walk it home - I HAD to freemount! There were times I wondered
    if I would make it home 🙂.Now, I can freemount almost 100% of the
    time.

    If only I could idle ... sigh.

    --
    fortyandlearning
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    fortyandlearning's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15233
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62768

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. Wow! A little off topic here but somebody musta actually used the search
    function. Up until yesterday the last post on this thread was from
    over two months ago. Good job.

    Now, whatever happened to Rider_04 who started this thread and still
    only shows 1 post? Rider_04, where are you? Were we mean to you? Did
    we scare you off? Don't you like us? We are the friendliest forum on
    the web, don't ya know?

    --
    underdog

    'I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody
    tell you different' - Kurt Vonnegut
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62768

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.