I followed basically Marcella Hazan's recipe for Beef Barolo,
with a 3.5 lb grass-fed rump roast. Her instructions were
that the braising liquid come up 2/3 the way the sides of the
roast, and I chose a 300 degree oven for 4 hours. (Her
recipe said 350 for 3 hours, so I figure that's about the same).
At the 3-hour point it was starting to look a little done so I
reduced heat slightly.
The result was good, fork-tender, but (to me) too dry. (Some
of the diners declared it perfect.) In my esitmate, the free-range
meat cooked a little faster than typical, and so while it got
tender and everything, most of the gelatin had leached out of
the meat into the surrounding liquid and was lost so there was
no squishy tenderness, just flaked meat.
Or perhaps this grass-fed free-range rump was low on connective
tissue to begin with?
In any case it was not a disaster, but I'd like to perfect the
technique for next time. I'm thinking less total cooking time,
and a smaller dutch oven (Le Cruset) so that more of the
liquid is confined into the roast.
Steve