Road Cycling · Public discussion

freehub in French

Started by PeteVine · · Last activity · 15 posts · 490 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
19 January 2005
Last activity
20 January 2005
Original author
PeteVine
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
490
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. What's the correct name for the freehub in French? To avoid any
    confusion I mean the part that the cassette locks onto.

    Thanks

    --
    PeteVine
    16:25:29 up 6 days, 2:05, 2 users, load average: 1.09, 1.11, 1.25

    Linux registered user #250250
    http://counter.li.org

  2. le moyeu arriere, je crois

    "PeteVine" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What's the correct name for the freehub in French? To avoid any
    confusion I mean the part that the cassette locks onto.

    Thanks

    --
    PeteVine
    16:25:29 up 6 days, 2:05, 2 users, load average: 1.09, 1.11, 1.25

    Linux registered user #250250
    http://counter.li.org

  3. On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:36:39 +0100, matabala tremente scripsit manu:

    Quoted message said:

    le moyeu arriere, je crois

    What about "moyeu-roue libre" that I found at Sheldon Brown's site?
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/eng-fren.html

    Does it mean the same thing?

  4. PeteVine said:

    What's the correct name for the freehub in French? To
    avoid any confusion I mean the part that the cassette
    locks onto.

    The part of the rear hub that the cassette mounts on is called the freehub
    _body_ in English, or the "corps de cassette" in French. A rear hub with
    freehub body is commonly called a "moyeu a cassette".

    James Thomson

  5. "PeteVine" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What's the correct name for the freehub in French? To avoid any
    confusion I mean the part that the cassette locks onto.

    Thanks

    --
    PeteVine
    16:25:29 up 6 days, 2:05, 2 users, load average: 1.09, 1.11, 1.25

    Linux registered user #250250
    http://counter.li.org

    France being not more than 300 k from here, I would suggest than
    'roue-libre' is a word that every bicycle owner would understand.

    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu

  6. Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:44:58 +0100,
    <[email hidden]>, PeteVine

    Quoted message said:

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:36:39 +0100, matabala tremente scripsit manu:

    Quoted message said:

    le moyeu arriere, je crois

    What about "moyeu-roue libre" that I found at Sheldon Brown's site?
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/eng-fren.html

    Does it mean the same thing?

    Not exactly. One's a rear hub the other is a freewheel hub.
    Cassette is the same in both languages.
    --
    zk

  7. Bert L.am said:

    France being not more than 300 k from here, I would suggest
    that 'roue-libre' is a word that every bicycle owner would
    understand.

    Most French cyclists would understand the phrase. The problem is that
    PeteVine doesn't need a freewheel - he needs either a freehub or a freehub
    body.

    James Thomson

  8. PeteVine said:

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:36:39 +0100, matabala tremente scripsit manu:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    le moyeu arriere, je crois

    That's any rear hub, not necessarily a freehub.

    Quoted message said:

    What about "moyeu-roue libre" that I found at Sheldon
    Brown's site?
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/eng-fren.html

    Quoted message said:

    Does it mean the same thing?

    That's a freewheel hub. The French don't always make the same distinction
    between a freehub and freewheel that Anlgophones do, so there can be some
    ambiguity. A freehub can be called "un moyeu à roue-libre integrée", but
    "moyeu à cassette" is simpler and unambiguous.

    I'm still not sure if you're looking for the hub itself or just the
    cassette body, but see my previous post for both options.

    James Thomson

  9. On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:13:17 +0100, James Thomson tremente scripsit manu:

    Quoted message said:

    Most French cyclists would understand the phrase. The problem is that
    PeteVine doesn't need a freewheel - he needs either a freehub or a freehub
    body.

    A freehub body indeed, thanks for the explanation.

    --
    PeteVine

  10. "James Thomson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    PeteVine said:

    What's the correct name for the freehub in French? To
    avoid any confusion I mean the part that the cassette
    locks onto.

    The part of the rear hub that the cassette mounts on is called the freehub
    _body_ in English, or the "corps de cassette" in French. A rear hub with
    freehub body is commonly called a "moyeu a cassette".

    James Thomson


    I can tell you how many times I've heard anyone in a french bike shop say
    "corps de cassette": never. For that matter "moyeu a cassette" falls in the
    same category. As you mentioned it can be ambiguous but just "le moyeu"
    will get the job done provided it's clear you're talking about the part for
    the rear wheel.

  11. matabala said:

    I can tell you how many times I've heard anyone in a french bike
    shop say "corps de cassette": never. For that matter "moyeu
    a cassette" falls in the same category.

    I wonder what accounts for our divergent experience.

    Quoted message said:

    As you mentioned it can be ambiguous but just "le moyeu"
    will get the job done provided it's clear you're talking about
    the part for the rear wheel.

    A, I understand. Your *vélociste du coin* is telepathic.

    Cordialement,

    James Thomson

  12. PeteVine said:

    What's the correct name for the freehub in French? To avoid any
    confusion I mean the part that the cassette locks onto.

    The Freehub is the entire rear hub, "moyeu cassette" or "moyeu k7."

    I think you're asking about the "Freehub body" which is the part with
    the ratchet mechanism, and the external splines where the sprockets
    slide on.

    This would be "corps de cassette" or "corps de k7."

    "k7" is a punny French way of spelling "cassette."

    The letter "k" is pronounced "kah" and the number "7" is "sept." The
    "p" is basically silent, so "kah sept" sounds basically the same as
    "cassette"

    http://tinyurl.com/3vcjo

    Sheldon "Calembour" Brown
    +----------------------------------------------+
    | Ask the travelled inhabitant of any nation |
    | "In what country on earth would you rather |
    | live?" |
    | "Certainly in my own, where are all my |
    | friends, my relations, and the earliest |
    | recollections of my life." |
    | "Which would be your second choice?" |
    | "FRANCE !!" --Jefferson 1821 |
    +----------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  13. "Sheldon Brown" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    PeteVine said:

    What's the correct name for the freehub in French? To avoid any
    confusion I mean the part that the cassette locks onto.

    The Freehub is the entire rear hub, "moyeu cassette" or "moyeu k7."

    I think you're asking about the "Freehub body" which is the part with
    the ratchet mechanism, and the external splines where the sprockets
    slide on.

    This would be "corps de cassette" or "corps de k7."

    "k7" is a punny French way of spelling "cassette."

    The letter "k" is pronounced "kah" and the number "7" is "sept." The
    "p" is basically silent, so "kah sept" sounds basically the same as
    "cassette"

    K7 is in French what K9 is in English

    Bert L from NL (that's in EU)
    (wanna see a picture of my K9 friend and of the K7 I play in my K7 player?)

    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu

  14. "James Thomson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    matabala said:

    I can tell you how many times I've heard anyone in a french bike
    shop say "corps de cassette": never. For that matter "moyeu
    a cassette" falls in the same category.

    I wonder what accounts for our divergent experience.


    perhaps a didactic French bike mecano, y'en a, vous savez

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    As you mentioned it can be ambiguous but just "le moyeu"
    will get the job done provided it's clear you're talking about
    the part for the rear wheel.

    A, I understand. Your *vélociste du coin* is telepathic.


    Not when a set of eyes will suffice.

  15. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    A, I understand. Your *vélociste du coin* is telepathic.

    matabala said:

    Not when a set of eyes will suffice.

    When a set of eyes and a pointing finger are available, "Moi! Veut! Ça!
    Capeesh?" would probably suffice. I'm guessing that that isn't PeteVine's
    situation, but I've been wrong before.

    James Thomson

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.