freehub protector help

Ian

Guest
hello, i am pretty new to mtb and practically a virgin to repair. after my last ride, i noticed
while coasting, i hear this god awful clunking sound on my back wheel. after viewing the problem,
this circular clear plastic thing (freehub protector?) is all out of whack. it is not concentrically
aligned with the freewheel nor does it maintain a constant gap between itself and the gears. can i
tear this piece off? what all does it do? i'd hate to have to take my bike in and pay to have
somebody look at this (couldn't find any information on the web either) thanks for any advice in
advance. ian

"Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> hello, i am pretty new to mtb and practically a virgin to repair. after my last ride, i noticed
> while coasting, i hear this god awful clunking sound on my back wheel. after viewing the problem,
> this circular clear plastic thing (freehub protector?) is all out of whack. it is not
> concentrically
aligned
> with the freewheel nor does it maintain a constant gap between itself and the gears. can i tear
> this piece off? what all does it do? i'd hate to have to take my bike in and pay to have somebody
> look at this (couldn't
find
> any information on the web either) thanks for any advice in advance.

Whatcha got there is a "spoke protector", and yes you can remove it. (Remove all reflectors while
you're at it, too, UNLESS you ride on roads at night often.)

Bill "I guarantee ya his chain falls into spokes now" S.

> "Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > hello, i am pretty new to mtb and practically a virgin to repair. after my last ride, i noticed
> > while coasting, i hear this god awful clunking sound on my back wheel. after viewing the
> > problem, this circular clear plastic thing (freehub protector?) is all out of whack. it is not
> > concentrically
> aligned
> > with the freewheel nor does it maintain a constant gap between itself and the gears. can i tear
> > this piece off? what all does it do? i'd hate to have to take my bike in and pay to have
> > somebody look at this (couldn't
> find
> > any information on the web either) thanks for any advice in advance.
>
> Whatcha got there is a "spoke protector", and yes you can remove it. (Remove all reflectors while
> you're at it, too, UNLESS you ride on roads at night often.)
>
> Bill "I guarantee ya his chain falls into spokes now" S.

a properly dialed derailer needs no spoke protector. i ripped mine off when i first got the
[original] bike. i have yet to get a chain caught in the gap, so i see no real reason for it.
--
~Travis

thanks again for your help guys....appears i hit another snag however......guess i need a freehub
removal wrench....dammit......maybe i'll take the bike in afterall "Stephen Baker"
> Travis says:
>
> >a properly dialed derailer needs no spoke protector. i ripped mine off when i first got the
> >[original] bike. i have yet to get a chain caught in the gap, so i see no real reason for it.
>
> Karma.

"Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> thanks again for your help guys....appears i hit another snag however......guess i need a freehub
> removal wrench....dammit......maybe
i'll
> take the bike in afterall

Wait a second, top-poster----- er, grasshopper. Is this a BIG clear plastic thing (larger than
your granny gear)? Or is it a SMALLISH plastic thing that's sort of "inside" the cassette? If it's
the big one, you should be able to use a screwdriver to break its attachment to spokes. Not sure
about smaller type, however. (And you'll need a chain whip if job indeed requires a cassette
removal tool.)

Bill "has suffered 'rear wheel chain suck' numerous times, and never broken a spoke...well,
immediately at least" S.

"Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> thanks again for your help guys....appears i hit another snag however......guess i need a
> freehub removal
wrench....dammit......maybe i'll
> take the bike in afterall

If this is related to another problem, sure, but if it's for the spoke protector the dang thing is
already broken (non-concentric with hub and flopping around) so you could just break it in enough
pieces to extract it without removing the cassette.

Those plastic one always seem useless to me anyways, break to easily.

- Chris.

> "Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > thanks again for your help guys....appears i hit another snag however......guess i need a
> > freehub removal wrench....dammit......maybe
> i'll
> > take the bike in afterall
>
> Wait a second, top-poster----- er, grasshopper. Is this a BIG clear plastic thing (larger than
> your granny gear)? Or is it a SMALLISH plastic thing that's sort of "inside" the cassette? If it's
> the big one, you should be able to use a screwdriver to break its attachment to spokes. Not sure
> about smaller type, however. (And you'll need a chain whip if job indeed requires a cassette
> removal tool.)
>
> Bill "has suffered 'rear wheel chain suck' numerous times, and never broken a spoke...well,
> immediately at least" S.

note use of freehub, not cassette. could be threaded 7 speed.

if so, my LBS showed me that just getting the tool set in the splines, attaching a breaker bar, hold
the wheel real goon and kick the bar to free up the freehub. they tried vises, but this works best,
and works as a stress remover (especially when i bring in my wheel, freehub is usually locked with
several hundred foot pounds from my meager weight and leg strength).
--
~Travis

it was definitely the protector......notice the past tense........burnt that

> > "Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > thanks again for your help guys....appears i hit another snag however......guess i need a
> > > freehub removal
wrench....dammit......maybe
> > i'll
> > > take the bike in afterall
> >
> > Wait a second, top-poster----- er, grasshopper. Is this a BIG clear
plastic
> > thing (larger than your granny gear)? Or is it a SMALLISH plastic thing that's sort of "inside"
> > the cassette? If it's the big one, you should
be
> > able to use a screwdriver to break its attachment to spokes. Not sure
about
> > smaller type, however. (And you'll need a chain whip if job indeed
requires
> > a cassette removal tool.)
> >
> > Bill "has suffered 'rear wheel chain suck' numerous times, and never
broken
> > a spoke...well, immediately at least" S.
> >

> note use of freehub, not cassette. could be threaded 7 speed.
>
> if so, my LBS showed me that just getting the tool set in the splines, attaching a breaker bar,
> hold the wheel real goon and kick the bar to free up the freehub. they tried vises, but this works
> best, and works as a stress remover (especially when i bring in my wheel, freehub is usually
> locked with several hundred foot pounds from my meager weight and leg strength).
> --
> ~Travis
>
> travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

"Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> it was definitely the protector......notice the past tense........burnt
that

Dayum! Sure you're not related to Shaun aRe?! Hehehe...just be sure your low limit screw is properly
set to keep from shifting into the spokes. A broken protector is a sign that the chain jumped in
there at least once. Kinda like a blown fuse.

Mike

Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > it was definitely the protector......notice the past tense........burnt
> that

> Dayum! Sure you're not related to Shaun aRe?!

> Hehehe...just be sure your low limit screw is properly set to keep from shifting into the
> spokes. A broken protector is a sign that the chain jumped in there at least once. Kinda like a
> blown fuse.

I have blown several fuses, and my chain 'jumped in there' several times too, so, I must concur with
your assertion there Mr. Dart.

Shaun aRe

> Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > it was definitely the protector......notice the past
tense........burnt
> > that

> > Dayum! Sure you're not related to Shaun aRe?!
>

> > Hehehe...just be sure your low limit screw is properly set to keep from shifting into the
> > spokes.
> > broken protector is a sign that the chain jumped in there at least once. Kinda like a
> > blown fuse.
>
> I have blown several fuses, and my chain 'jumped in there' several times too, so, I must concur
> with your assertion there Mr. Dart.
>

> Shaun aRe

Well thank you Mr. aRe.