General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Freezing Kale?

Started by jmcquown · · Last activity · 29 posts · 1,457 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
21 August 2005
Last activity
22 August 2005
Original author
jmcquown
Posts
29
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,457
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–29 of 29
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    jmcquown said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Sun 21 Aug 2005 07:18:55a, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > I may have asked this before; forgive me if I forgot. I bought a
    > bunch of fresh kale. I don't like the stuff myself but it's for my
    > lovebird who adores it
    >
    If this hasn't been said before, ALL leafy greens; e.g., kale,
    spinach, turnip, mustard, etc., must be cooked or at least well
    blanched before freezing. As you know from cooking other greens,
    after any cooking process (apart from frying), the greens will be
    quite soft and never crisp. I've never had a bird other than a
    canary, so I have no idea if this would be appealing to your
    lovebird, but somehow I doubt it.


    Nope, she doesn't like cooked greens. They must be fresh. Oh well,
    she'll get a few leaves a week until the bunch starts to yellow or
    otherwise go bad. In the meantime she has carrots (she loves raw
    carrots!) and a Gala apple (I give her slices of it) to munch on 🙂

    Re: freezing cabbage - ever notice that's one vegetable you can't
    find in the freezer section at the grocery store? 😉

    Jill

    Jill,

    Do try the local nursery. :-)
    Kale is easy to keep alive and really does last for months, plus it's
    a pretty plant. And fresh piced kale will be higher in nutrition
    anyway.....

    This was someone elses idea, but it was a really good one!

    Full sun, water twice per week or if it wilts.

    Cheers!

    Oops, I clicked Send before I replied (yet again!) I probably will look for
    it but since I live in an apartment I'll need to grow it in a pot on the
    patio. As for full sun and watering... it hit 100F here yesterday and 98F
    today. (I live outside of Memphis, TN.) I'll be darned if we aren't
    supposed to have a cool spell tomorrow, only supposed to be 95F!!! Water,
    water, water, yep, that would be the ticket. Would I need to bring it
    inside in the winter, I wonder? It also gets very cold here. Sometimes we
    even get snow and ice. Weird climate.

    Jill

  2. On Sun 21 Aug 2005 09:07:20p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, "jmcquown"

    Quoted message said:

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Sun 21 Aug 2005 07:18:55a, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >
    >> I may have asked this before; forgive me if I forgot. I bought a
    >> bunch of fresh kale. I don't like the stuff myself but it's for my
    >> lovebird who adores it
    >>
    > If this hasn't been said before, ALL leafy greens; e.g., kale,
    > spinach, turnip, mustard, etc., must be cooked or at least well
    > blanched before freezing. As you know from cooking other greens,
    > after any cooking process (apart from frying), the greens will be
    > quite soft and never crisp. I've never had a bird other than a
    > canary, so I have no idea if this would be appealing to your
    > lovebird, but somehow I doubt it.
    >
    Nope, she doesn't like cooked greens. They must be fresh. Oh well,
    she'll get a few leaves a week until the bunch starts to yellow or
    otherwise go bad. In the meantime she has carrots (she loves raw
    carrots!) and a Gala apple (I give her slices of it) to munch on 🙂

    Re: freezing cabbage - ever notice that's one vegetable you can't
    find in the freezer section at the grocery store? 😉

    Jill

    Jill,

    Do try the local nursery. :-)
    Kale is easy to keep alive and really does last for months, plus it's
    a pretty plant. And fresh piced kale will be higher in nutrition
    anyway.....

    This was someone elses idea, but it was a really good one!

    Full sun, water twice per week or if it wilts.

    Cheers!

    Oops, I clicked Send before I replied (yet again!) I probably will look
    for it but since I live in an apartment I'll need to grow it in a pot on
    the patio. As for full sun and watering... it hit 100F here yesterday
    and 98F today. (I live outside of Memphis, TN.) I'll be darned if we
    aren't supposed to have a cool spell tomorrow, only supposed to be
    95F!!! Water, water, water, yep, that would be the ticket. Would I
    need to bring it inside in the winter, I wonder? It also gets very cold
    here. Sometimes we even get snow and ice. Weird climate.

    Jill

    Kale can survive very cole temps, but not freezing.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    ____________________________________________

    My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
    unless there are three other people.

    ---
    avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
    Tested on: 8/21/2005 9:10:55 PM
    avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
    http://www.avast.com

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    jmcquown said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    jmcquown said:

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Sun 21 Aug 2005 07:18:55a, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >
    >> I may have asked this before; forgive me if I forgot. I bought a
    >> bunch of fresh kale. I don't like the stuff myself but it's for my
    >> lovebird who adores it
    >>
    > If this hasn't been said before, ALL leafy greens; e.g., kale,
    > spinach, turnip, mustard, etc., must be cooked or at least well
    > blanched before freezing. As you know from cooking other greens,
    > after any cooking process (apart from frying), the greens will be
    > quite soft and never crisp. I've never had a bird other than a
    > canary, so I have no idea if this would be appealing to your
    > lovebird, but somehow I doubt it.
    >
    Nope, she doesn't like cooked greens. They must be fresh. Oh well,
    she'll get a few leaves a week until the bunch starts to yellow or
    otherwise go bad. In the meantime she has carrots (she loves raw
    carrots!) and a Gala apple (I give her slices of it) to munch on 🙂

    Re: freezing cabbage - ever notice that's one vegetable you can't
    find in the freezer section at the grocery store? 😉

    Jill

    Jill,

    Do try the local nursery. :-)
    Kale is easy to keep alive and really does last for months, plus it's
    a pretty plant. And fresh piced kale will be higher in nutrition
    anyway.....

    This was someone elses idea, but it was a really good one!

    Full sun, water twice per week or if it wilts.

    Cheers!

    Oops, I clicked Send before I replied (yet again!) I probably will look for
    it but since I live in an apartment I'll need to grow it in a pot on the
    patio. As for full sun and watering... it hit 100F here yesterday and 98F
    today. (I live outside of Memphis, TN.) I'll be darned if we aren't
    supposed to have a cool spell tomorrow, only supposed to be 95F!!! Water,
    water, water, yep, that would be the ticket. Would I need to bring it
    inside in the winter, I wonder? It also gets very cold here. Sometimes we
    even get snow and ice. Weird climate.

    Jill

    Well, I started mine last fall in a raised bed, then moved it into 1
    gallon pots this spring when I needed the garden space.

    2 of the 3 are still alive in 1 gallon pots. :-) This is texas and every
    bit as hot! 95 to 102. They seem to be pretty tough so should do just
    fine on your patio in the sun. Just keep a water tray under them.

    They wintered over. That group of plants is resistant to freezing. Just
    toss a sheet over them when you are expecting a frost.

    I feed mine to the cockatoo and discovered that I also really don't care
    to eat Kale. <G>

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  4. jmcquown said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    jmcquown said:

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Sun 21 Aug 2005 07:18:55a, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >
    >> I may have asked this before; forgive me if I forgot. I bought a
    >> bunch of fresh kale. I don't like the stuff myself but it's for my
    >> lovebird who adores it
    >>
    > If this hasn't been said before, ALL leafy greens; e.g., kale,
    > spinach, turnip, mustard, etc., must be cooked or at least well
    > blanched before freezing. As you know from cooking other greens,
    > after any cooking process (apart from frying), the greens will be
    > quite soft and never crisp. I've never had a bird other than a
    > canary, so I have no idea if this would be appealing to your
    > lovebird, but somehow I doubt it.
    >
    Nope, she doesn't like cooked greens. They must be fresh. Oh well,
    she'll get a few leaves a week until the bunch starts to yellow or
    otherwise go bad. In the meantime she has carrots (she loves raw
    carrots!) and a Gala apple (I give her slices of it) to munch on 🙂

    Re: freezing cabbage - ever notice that's one vegetable you can't
    find in the freezer section at the grocery store? 😉

    Jill

    Jill,

    Do try the local nursery. :-)
    Kale is easy to keep alive and really does last for months, plus it's
    a pretty plant. And fresh piced kale will be higher in nutrition
    anyway.....

    This was someone elses idea, but it was a really good one!

    Full sun, water twice per week or if it wilts.

    Cheers!

    Oops, I clicked Send before I replied (yet again!) I probably will look for
    it but since I live in an apartment I'll need to grow it in a pot on the
    patio. As for full sun and watering... it hit 100F here yesterday and 98F
    today. (I live outside of Memphis, TN.) I'll be darned if we aren't
    supposed to have a cool spell tomorrow, only supposed to be 95F!!! Water,
    water, water, yep, that would be the ticket. Would I need to bring it
    inside in the winter, I wonder? It also gets very cold here. Sometimes we
    even get snow and ice. Weird climate.

    Jill

    Food type kale won't do well in a pot, and certainly not indoors...
    there are ornamental kales, some grow huge, as large as a honda civic,
    but they won't grow indoors either... they do best in the far north
    where it's daylight for months. Kale needs a long cool growing season,
    won't tolerate your temperatures at all, with temps in the 90s it'll
    bolt in a week and be useless as food. Kale is in the cabbage family,
    a cruciferous plant... a huge family of plants, probably more types
    than all the rest of the food plants combined... oddly yoose
    southerners eat most of what y'all call "greens" but they're grown up
    here in yankee country where it's cool. Btw, head cabbage freezes well
    but isn't marketed frozen because it stores so well fresh there is no
    reason to freeze it... can easily be kept up to six months.

    Sheldon

  5. "Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    On Sun 21 Aug 2005 09:07:20p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Re: freezing cabbage - ever notice that's one vegetable you can't
    find in the freezer section at the grocery store? 😉

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    95F!!! Water, water, water, yep, that would be the ticket. Would I
    need to bring it inside in the winter, I wonder? It also gets very cold
    here. Sometimes we even get snow and ice. Weird climate.

    Quoted message said:

    Kale can survive very cole temps, but not freezing.

    Well, I guess that answers the question. Don't freeze kale.

    Jill, do you like escarole soup? I love it. I bet you kale
    would be a perfect replacement for the escarole.

    My ex mil made the best pork chops, sauteed in a frying pan with
    a box of frozen kale. Doesn't sound like much, but everyone
    loved it. Wish I could remember the details, it's been so long.

    nancy

  6. Nancy Young said:

    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    On Sun 21 Aug 2005 09:07:20p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Re: freezing cabbage - ever notice that's one vegetable you can't
    find in the freezer section at the grocery store? 😉

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    95F!!! Water, water, water, yep, that would be the ticket. Would I
    need to bring it inside in the winter, I wonder? It also gets very
    cold here. Sometimes we even get snow and ice. Weird climate.

    Quoted message said:

    Kale can survive very cole temps, but not freezing.

    Well, I guess that answers the question. Don't freeze kale.

    Jill, do you like escarole soup? I love it. I bet you kale
    would be a perfect replacement for the escarole.


    I've never tasted escarole. On a different note, I almost bought belgian
    endive yesterday, then thought to myself, why? I don't even know what it
    tastes like! It just looked kinda cute <G>

    Quoted message said:

    My ex mil made the best pork chops, sauteed in a frying pan with
    a box of frozen kale. Doesn't sound like much, but everyone
    loved it. Wish I could remember the details, it's been so long.


    Oh yeah, I have to do those stuffed chops today. I have sleeping sickness -
    I slept through dinner last night!

    Jill

  7. jmcquown said:
    Dee Randall said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I may have asked this before; forgive me if I forgot. I bought a
    bunch of fresh kale. I don't like the stuff myself but it's for my
    lovebird who adores it (and it gives her necessary iron not to
    mention something to chew
    on). It's not available in loose leaves like baby spinach and some
    other greens. I had to buy a big honkin' bunch of it. Can I wash
    it, pack it in
    some freezer bags and freeze it?

    Jill
    --
    I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

    Forgive me, Jill, but I will answer a question that probably everyone
    knows; freezing spinach. I bought a big package of fresh spinach at
    Costco and had eaten only 2 bunches of it. I had to leave for 5 days,
    so I stuck it in the freezer just the way it was, in the bag. I took
    it out when I came home last night; this morning it is mushy and
    watery. Doesn't look like it could be salvagable. I also stuck in 4
    full stocks of baby bok choy. I will look to see what it did, too.
    Dee Dee

    So how do they manage to sell frozen spinach and other frozen greens? There
    must be some way I can keep this. The thing is, you can't feed greens to a
    lovebird every day or they will develop diarrhea. But it's good for them
    about once a week. Granted, the bunch of kale was only 89 cents but I hate
    to waste it.

    Jill


    Here's a couple of ways to do spinach, kale, beet tops, turnip greens,
    wild greens, or swiss chard:

    drying - Cut very coarsely into strips. Boil spinach and Swiss chard
    for 1 1/2 min or steam for 2 min. Blanch 2 min longer for kale leaves.
    Spread strips not more than 1/2 inch thick on trays. Dry until crisp
    and crumble easily.

    freezing - Wash carefully and remove any tough mid ribs or stems.
    Blanch 2 min then drain. Pack into freezer containers leaving 1/2 inch
    headroom. Freeze.

    canned - Wash green thoughly and discard large, tough stems. Heat
    greens until wilted in just enough water to prevent sticken. Cut
    through greens several times with a sharp knife before packing. Pack
    hot greens into hot jars leaving 1 in headspace. Add 1/2 tsp salt to
    each pint (optional). Ladle boiling water over greens leaving 1 inch
    headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust 2-piece caps. Process pints 1
    hour at 10 lbs pressure in *pressure canner*.

    You can use them in prepared dishes to be frozen too. I use swiss chard
    just like cabbage leaves in stuffed rolls with a roasted tomato sauce.
    These freeze well. Either swiss chard or spinach can be used in lasagne
    to be frozen.

  8. Syssi said:

    "Dee Randall" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Dee Randall wrote:

    >"jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    >news:[email hidden]...
    >
    >>I may have asked this before; forgive me if I forgot. I bought a
    >>bunch of fresh kale. I don't like the stuff myself but it's for my
    >>lovebird who adores it (and it gives her necessary iron not to
    >>mention something to chew
    >>on). It's not available in loose leaves like baby spinach and some
    >>other greens. I had to buy a big honkin' bunch of it. Can I wash
    >>it, pack it in
    >>some freezer bags and freeze it?
    >>
    >>Jill
    >>--
    >>I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.
    >>
    >
    >Forgive me, Jill, but I will answer a question that probably everyone
    >knows; freezing spinach. I bought a big package of fresh spinach at
    >Costco and had eaten only 2 bunches of it. I had to leave for 5 days,
    >so I stuck it in the freezer just the way it was, in the bag. I took
    >it out when I came home last night; this morning it is mushy and
    >watery. Doesn't look like it could be salvagable. I also stuck in 4
    >full stocks of baby bok choy. I will look to see what it did, too.
    >Dee Dee

    So how do they manage to sell frozen spinach and other frozen greens?
    There
    must be some way I can keep this. The thing is, you can't feed greens to
    a
    lovebird every day or they will develop diarrhea. But it's good for them
    about once a week. Granted, the bunch of kale was only 89 cents but I
    hate
    to waste it.

    Jill

    Jill, I have thoroughly cooked spinach and frozen it inside ziplock bags
    after it's cooled. To me, when I say thoroughly cook, I mean only about 2
    minutes, though. To save greens, I feel that I could do that with any
    green if I had the time.
    Everything that I threw into the freezer before I left, and then I left
    out last night to thaw, was completely waterlogged in its own raw
    contents; somehow the water rendered itself out.
    As far as to your kale needed for the birds, you can buy it once a week,
    give your bird a little and you have the rest. A great way to make sure
    you get your greens. If you buy kale by the pound, which is the only way
    you can buy it here, NOT by the bunch, then buy a little less. I have
    bought produce that has rung up at less than 15 cents. Who cares?
    Certainly not the check-out person.
    Bye,
    Dee Dee
    ==============>

    That might work... also, what about drying it? Then it could be crumbled
    into her other food and/or added to her water...? I dunno. I never had
    birds. Thank you Mr. Hitchcock for that! To this day I watch seagulls like
    a proverbial hawk... days to the beach are tough. : /


    Especially if you are near someone who tosses food out to the seagulls 😉

  9. jmcquown said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Sun 21 Aug 2005 07:18:55a, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    I may have asked this before; forgive me if I forgot. I bought a
    bunch of fresh kale. I don't like the stuff myself but it's for my
    lovebird who adores it

    If this hasn't been said before, ALL leafy greens; e.g., kale,
    spinach, turnip, mustard, etc., must be cooked or at least well
    blanched before freezing. As you know from cooking other greens,
    after any cooking process (apart from frying), the greens will be
    quite soft and never crisp. I've never had a bird other than a
    canary, so I have no idea if this would be appealing to your
    lovebird, but somehow I doubt it.

    Nope, she doesn't like cooked greens. They must be fresh. Oh well, she'll
    get a few leaves a week until the bunch starts to yellow or otherwise go
    bad. In the meantime she has carrots (she loves raw carrots!) and a Gala
    apple (I give her slices of it) to munch on 🙂

    Re: freezing cabbage - ever notice that's one vegetable you can't find in
    the freezer section at the grocery store? 😉

    Jill


    I haven't seen it as cabbage alone but our local store sells frozen
    cabbage rolls. That basically the only way I freeze cabbage too. We
    aren't big into cabbage. I make cabbage rolls, coleslaw, and
    sauerkraut. That's about it.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.