General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Freezing Tomato Sauce - Container

Started by Dee Randall · · Last activity · 18 posts · 1,048 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 February 2005
Last activity
28 February 2005
Original author
Dee Randall
Posts
18
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,048
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–18 of 18
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I watched "Everyday Italian" Giada making up tomato sauce and as I recall,
    scooping some up and putting it in a freezer bag. Not wanting to store mine
    this way, I am looking for alternatives.

    I make tomato sauce from a large can (6 lb. 7 oz) and use up quite a bit of
    it in a couple of days, but usually I have probably 8 cups left over that
    I'd like to freeze. I don't want to freeze it all in a one-half-gallon Ball
    jar as I don't want to have to use that much at one time when I thaw it. I
    would prefer to freeze it in 2 cup portions. Other than several small Ball
    jar portions and freezer bags, any other ideas?

    Thanks for your suggestions.
    Dee

  2. Dee Randall said:

    I watched "Everyday Italian" Giada making up tomato sauce and as I


    recall,

    Quoted message said:

    scooping some up and putting it in a freezer bag. Not wanting to


    store mine

    Quoted message said:

    this way, I am looking for alternatives.

    I make tomato sauce from a large can (6 lb. 7 oz) and use up quite a


    bit of

    Quoted message said:

    it in a couple of days, but usually I have probably 8 cups left over


    that

    Quoted message said:

    I'd like to freeze. I don't want to freeze it all in a


    one-half-gallon Ball

    Quoted message said:

    jar as I don't want to have to use that much at one time when I thaw


    it. I

    Quoted message said:

    would prefer to freeze it in 2 cup portions. Other than several


    small Ball

    Quoted message said:

    jar portions and freezer bags, any other ideas?

    Never ever freeze in glass jars.

    I make many gallons of tomato sauce each year fom my own home growns.
    I use the inexpensive plastic lidded containers, the type touted to be
    reusable but a few times and then discarded... most of the major food
    wrap companies have there own version but I have found that the generic
    store brands cost less and are just as good. I buy the
    square-ish/rectangular ones, they take less freezer space than rounds.
    I buy mostly the pint sized ones as that is a good quantity for one
    pound of pasta. When frozen it's a good idea to handle these
    containers judiciously as that plastic becomes quite brittle when cold
    and will break easily -- defrost at least partially before attempting
    to remove lids. I find they clean up well in the dishwasher's top
    rack. I get many uses from each container, when they break it is
    almost always due to my being impatient to remove the lid. Do not
    overfill, leave at least 3/8" head room.

  3. "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Dee Randall said:

    I watched "Everyday Italian" Giada making up tomato sauce and as I


    recall,

    Quoted message said:

    scooping some up and putting it in a freezer bag. Not wanting to


    store mine

    Quoted message said:

    this way, I am looking for alternatives.

    I make tomato sauce from a large can (6 lb. 7 oz) and use up quite a


    bit of

    Quoted message said:

    it in a couple of days, but usually I have probably 8 cups left over


    that

    Quoted message said:

    I'd like to freeze. I don't want to freeze it all in a


    one-half-gallon Ball

    Quoted message said:

    jar as I don't want to have to use that much at one time when I thaw


    it. I

    Quoted message said:

    would prefer to freeze it in 2 cup portions. Other than several


    small Ball

    Quoted message said:

    jar portions and freezer bags, any other ideas?

    Never ever freeze in glass jars.

    I make many gallons of tomato sauce each year fom my own home growns.
    I use the inexpensive plastic lidded containers, the type touted to be
    reusable but a few times and then discarded... most of the major food
    wrap companies have there own version but I have found that the generic
    store brands cost less and are just as good. I buy the
    square-ish/rectangular ones, they take less freezer space than rounds.
    I buy mostly the pint sized ones as that is a good quantity for one
    pound of pasta. When frozen it's a good idea to handle these
    containers judiciously as that plastic becomes quite brittle when cold
    and will break easily -- defrost at least partially before attempting
    to remove lids. I find they clean up well in the dishwasher's top
    rack. I get many uses from each container, when they break it is
    almost always due to my being impatient to remove the lid. Do not
    overfill, leave at least 3/8" head room.


    Thanks for this information. I will be looking for these 'inexpensive
    plastic lidded containers." I have not noticed these before, so thanks for
    this good advice.
    Dee

  4. "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I watched "Everyday Italian" Giada making up tomato sauce and as I recall,
    scooping some up and putting it in a freezer bag. Not wanting to store mine
    this way, I am looking for alternatives.

    I make tomato sauce from a large can (6 lb. 7 oz) and use up quite a bit
    of it in a couple of days, but usually I have probably 8 cups left over
    that I'd like to freeze. I don't want to freeze it all in a
    one-half-gallon Ball jar as I don't want to have to use that much at one
    time when I thaw it. I would prefer to freeze it in 2 cup portions.
    Other than several small Ball jar portions and freezer bags, any other
    ideas?

    Thanks for your suggestions.
    Dee

    You can save the containers from many commercial products and re-use them
    for freezing. For example, margarine and cream cheese tubs.

    --
    Peter Aitken

    Remove the [censored] from my email address before using.

  5. Dee Randall said:

    I watched "Everyday Italian" Giada making up tomato sauce and as I recall,
    scooping some up and putting it in a freezer bag. Not wanting to store mine
    this way, I am looking for alternatives.

    I make tomato sauce from a large can (6 lb. 7 oz) and use up quite a bit of
    it in a couple of days, but usually I have probably 8 cups left over that
    I'd like to freeze. I don't want to freeze it all in a one-half-gallon Ball
    jar as I don't want to have to use that much at one time when I thaw it. I
    would prefer to freeze it in 2 cup portions. Other than several small Ball
    jar portions and freezer bags, any other ideas?

    Thanks for your suggestions.
    Dee

    Tupperware square-rounds

  6. look for them near the ziploc bags.
    ZipLoc makes containers, so does "Gladware".
    Also, Rubbermaid makes some disposable containers.

    Not sure where you are, but Walmart carries them near the Rubbermaid
    containers and plastic wraps and bags. The ones Sheldon refers to cost
    about $2 for a package with 4-5 containers.

    Also, there are containers available at most hardware stores, usually
    near the canning jars, that are square in shape, they are usually known
    as "Freezer containers".

    Another thought is those 1lb containers you buy potato salad (or other
    such items) from the supermarket in.

    Although, I don't know what your aversion to freezer bags is.
    They hold up fine, lie flat in the freezer, take up very little space,
    are stackable and once frozen, can stand up right, thereby taking up
    even less space. I have bags of homemade chicken stock in my freezer,
    about 2 cups in each bag, taking up very little room. IT's a great
    solution, as far as usage of space and they are not expensive, either.

  7. "aem" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Dee Randall wrote:
    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    The main thing about freezer bags is that there is no Letter/Number
    indication as to the type of plastics they are. Perhaps the Freezer
    containers you mention have no code on them either; I'll give that a


    look.

    You're obviously more knowledgeable about plastic varieties than I am,
    but in this case you're going to be putting in room temp, non-acidic
    liquid, which will then freeze. Presumably you later thaw it or remove
    it from the bag and thaw it. I don't see where there's an opportunity
    for mischief from the plastic.

    Quoted message said:


    By the way, how do you get the chicken stock in bags to lay (lie?)


    flat,

    Quoted message said:

    without freezing them straight up and how did they even out without


    bulging?

    Quoted message said:


    Gravity does it for you. Lay the bag on the shelf, and the bottom has
    to be flat. Unless the bag is so full that it has to become a sphere,
    the center part of the top surface has to end up flat, too. I use bags
    for Chinese red-cooking (loo) sauce and it works fine.

    -aem

    Thanks.
    When you lay the bag on the shelf, do you mean that the plastic bag is so
    tightly closed/zipped that one drop doesn't drip out of the plastic bag?
    I don't know if I could trust my trusty fingers to get it air tight on the
    end. Do you worry about it leaking?
    Dee

  8. Dee Randall said:


    When you lay the bag on the shelf, do you mean that the plastic bag is so
    tightly closed/zipped that one drop doesn't drip out of the plastic bag?
    I don't know if I could trust my trusty fingers to get it air tight on the
    end. Do you worry about it leaking?

    You use ziplock (term used generically) bags. They don't leak. If you
    have trouble with regular ones, there are the new kind with the piece
    you move across the opening. There are regular ziplock bags and freezer
    ziplock bags, which are thicker. They come in pint, quart, and gallon sizes.

    I frequently freeze a few lying flat then stand them up and "file" them
    like books on a bookshelf in a different part of the freezer.

    You've reminded me that I need to clean out the freezer between now and
    Memorial Day. ;-)

    Priscilla

  9. Dee Randall said:


    "Priscilla H. Ballou" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You've reminded me that I need to clean out the freezer between now and
    Memorial Day. ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    I must have sent you a message osmosis, because I dumped a lot out of mine
    today. Sure feels good to get rid of it.

    I may just bite the bullet and dump stuff into a can for garbage day...
    or maybe cook up the freezer-burned meat for the feral cats I feed.
    Yeah, that's the ticket!

    Priscilla

  10. Priscilla H. Ballou said:
    Dee Randall said:

    "Priscilla H. Ballou" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You've reminded me that I need to clean out the freezer between now and
    Memorial Day. ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    I must have sent you a message osmosis, because I dumped a lot out of mine
    today. Sure feels good to get rid of it.

    I may just bite the bullet and dump stuff into a can for garbage day...
    or maybe cook up the freezer-burned meat for the feral cats I feed.
    Yeah, that's the ticket!

    Priscilla

    I have a small flock of frozen chickens that seem to be breeding in the
    bottom of my chest freezer. (Actually, it comes in kind of handy
    sometimes...)

    Bob

  11. Since you're freezing it, you can use leftover food jars (jam jars,
    peanut butter jars, etc.)
    Priscilla

    Freezing food in glass is very dangerous... if you're lucky when the
    food expands the entire jar will burst, but often only a thin
    inconspicuous sliver will get knapped off and no one will know until
    there's oodles of blood in the toilet. And that's why so many food
    products are no longer packaged in glass, especially typical help
    yourself kid foods like peanut butter.

  12. Sheldon said:

    Since you're freezing it, you can use leftover food jars (jam jars,
    peanut butter jars, etc.)
    Priscilla

    Freezing food in glass is very dangerous... if you're lucky when the
    food expands the entire jar will burst, but often only a thin
    inconspicuous sliver will get knapped off and no one will know until
    there's oodles of blood in the toilet.

    I nearly commented about the use of 'Ball Jars' from the original post but
    figured someone would point it out. I would never store anything in glass
    in the freezer.

    Jill

  13. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Sheldon said:

    Since you're freezing it, you can use leftover food jars (jam jars,
    peanut butter jars, etc.)
    Priscilla

    Freezing food in glass is very dangerous... if you're lucky when the
    food expands the entire jar will burst, but often only a thin
    inconspicuous sliver will get knapped off and no one will know until
    there's oodles of blood in the toilet.

    I nearly commented about the use of 'Ball Jars' from the original post but
    figured someone would point it out. I would never store anything in glass
    in the freezer.

    Thanks for pointing this out to me. I do occasionally put food in Ball Jars
    when I know that I will be using the food within a week or 10 days, and not
    leave too much time for the food to remain in the jar. However, I think the
    suggestion about the sliver is enough for me to discontinue this practice.
    Yikes! One could be hurt and also run up a lot of doctor bills while they
    were trying to figure out just where this blood came from.
    Dee

    Quoted message said:
  14. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Sheldon said:
    Dee Randall said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > Sheldon wrote:
    >> Since you're freezing it, you can use leftover food jars (jam jars,
    >> peanut butter jars, etc.)
    >> Priscilla
    >>
    >>
    >> Freezing food in glass is very dangerous... if you're lucky when
    >> the food expands the entire jar will burst, but often only a thin
    >> inconspicuous sliver will get knapped off and no one will know
    >> until there's oodles of blood in the toilet.
    >
    > I nearly commented about the use of 'Ball Jars' from the original
    > post but figured someone would point it out. I would never store
    > anything in glass in the freezer.
    >

    Thanks for pointing this out to me. I do occasionally put food in
    Ball Jars when I know that I will be using the food within a week or
    10 days, and not leave too much time for the food to remain in the
    jar. However, I think the suggestion about the sliver is enough for
    me to discontinue this practice. Yikes! One could be hurt and also
    run up a lot of doctor bills while they were trying to figure out
    just where this blood came from.
    Dee

    Professional kithens do not permit any glass whatsoever on the
    premises... when you see restaurant kitchens on foodtv with glass
    bowls, wine glasses, etc. that is NOT a professional kitchen and those
    are NOT professional cooks. In many municipalities it's illegal to
    have glass in commercial kitchens, and insurance companies won't write
    their liaility policies, or will csncel when glass is discovered.


    In the restaurants I worked in, of course there was glassware for water,
    tea, wine, etc. But no glass in the kitchen except the drinking glasses
    to
    be run through the dishwasher in racks. Bar glasses were hand washed at
    the
    bar with rotating brushes.

    I once witnessed a server scooping ice for a glass of tea WITH the glass,
    not the metal scoop in the ice bin. She was nearly fired on the spot.
    Can
    you imagine if the glass had chipped or broken in the ice bin?! Eeek!

    Jill

    ==================

    In one of the restaurants I worked in the busboys were trying to be helpful
    and did * exactly * that! We then had to scoop out most of the ice before
    we could remove the ice bin container... then wash it out and pray that the
    ice maker would make ice FAST!!

    They were scooping two glasses at the same time and the glasses collided and
    shattered. UGGHH!!

    Cyndi

  15. "Rick & Cyndi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:TfbUd.61218$Dc.32091@trnddc06...

    Quoted message said:

    In one of the restaurants I worked in the busboys were trying to be
    helpful and did * exactly * that! We then had to scoop out most of the
    ice before we could remove the ice bin container... then wash it out and
    pray that the ice maker would make ice FAST!!

    They were scooping two glasses at the same time and the glasses collided
    and shattered. UGGHH!!

    (laughing) I was hanging out in our usual haunt when ... crash!!! SON OF A
    [censored]! F*** Bad words were flung about like you don't wanna know.
    Some glass object broke in the ice bin. I felt bad for the guys. Whatcha
    gonna
    do.

    nancy (hates ice maker ice)

  16. In article <[email hidden]>, "Dee Randall"

    deedoveyatshenteldotnet said:

    I would prefer to freeze it in 2 cup portions. Other than several
    small Ball jar portions and freezer bags, any other ideas?

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for your suggestions.
    Dee


    Color me curious: Why not freezer bags? Personally, I freeze stuff
    like that in bags, sealed with my bag sealer. I like to freeze them
    flat, then stand them upright like books.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.
    "I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
    say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
    performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.

  17. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:

    Since you're freezing it, you can use leftover food jars (jam jars,
    peanut butter jars, etc.)
    Priscilla

    Freezing food in glass is very dangerous... if you're lucky when the
    food expands the entire jar will burst, but often only a thin
    inconspicuous sliver will get knapped off

    Leave an inch of headspace before you freeze it.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.
    "I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
    say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
    performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.

  18. In article <[email hidden]>, zxcvbob

    Quoted message said:

    I have a small flock of frozen chickens that seem to be breeding in the
    bottom of my chest freezer. (Actually, it comes in kind of handy
    sometimes...)

    Bob

    Is that what "coldcock" means?
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.
    "I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
    say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
    performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.