Frequent Negative Tests

B. Lafferty

Guest
Aussie cyclists defend gold haul amid drug slurs

9 minutes ago

ATHENS (AFP) - Australian cyclists said their unprecedented six gold medal
success at the Athens Olympics was wholly on merit amid residual doping
suspicions.

The Australian cyclists came to Athens hounded by drug accusations, bans,
sackings, appeals and bitter internal feuds.

But they will leave the Olympics with a record haul of six golds, two silver
and two bronze - twice the tally of nearest rivals Russia.

The Australian cycling program was tainted in the months before Athens by
drug-taking allegations and months of being dragged through the mud by
police, judicial and customs investigations.

Former world sprint cyclist Jobie Dajka was forced out of the Australian
team's training camp just a few weeks before the Games after admitting lying
to an official doping inquiry and junior world track champion Mark French
was banned for two years and from the Olympics for life after syringes and
traces of equine steroids were found in his room.

But the triumphant Australian team said they had undergone multiple doping
tests while competing in Athens and were clean.

"I've had four (drug tests) in the past five days," said dual gold medallist
Ryan Bayley at a press conference on Thursday.

"He (the Olympic drug tester) was going to write my name on the chair
because I was there every day."

Four-time Olympian Shane Kelly, cleared by a drugs investigator after being
one of five riders named by the now-banned French, said cyclists were among
the most tested of all Olympians.

"We've had inquiries, we've been cleared of everything," Kelly said.

"If there is still doubt, what can we do?" asked Kelly, who said he had
undergone six tests in the past month. "All we can do is get on the track
and win medals."

Australian Olympic Committee chief John Coates stressed at the press
conference that Dajka had been cut from the Olympic team for being
untruthful to two inquiries rather than for taking banned drugs.

Australian track coach Martin Barras, asked after Wednesday's final night's
competition if some of the Australian public were bound to remain sceptical
over the team's outstanding results, said:

"You can't help it, I'm not bothered with that."

His message to the detractors was "give us a fair go."

Head coach Shayne Bannan said he hoped Australians would get behind the
cyclists now after it felt like the country was against them over the last
few months.

"I think so, I hope so," Bannan said. "When we get on the track, it's for
Australia. I think they would.

"For some of them it was a pretty hard time, they wondered why are we doing
this sport, Australia actually seems to be against us. I think that really
pulled everybody together."

--
Peloton Pigs--Flying Since 1991

news:pMlXc.4373$Y%[email protected]...

<snip>

Just a comment on this:

> The Australian cycling program was tainted in the months before Athens by
> drug-taking allegations and months of being dragged through the mud by
> police, judicial and customs investigations.

....And certain sections of the Aussie media (it appears with a little help
from the AOC) which bought the Mark French story lock, stock and barrel
without considering that *maybe* he was telling an untruth or two, as
suggested by the CAS which described French's testimony as "implausible".
The back pedalling on this was incredible.

Funny thing is, none of the Australian gold medalists were among those
"named" by French, apart from Graeme Brown...but Brown was not even in
Adelaide when the alleged "shooting gallery" was holding its AGM!

Fair enough to come down hard on the guilty parties, but it shouldn't taint
the whole team/sport. It's like saying that a whole firm of lawyers is
corrupt just because one or two of them are. Perish the thought.

Jeff

"Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message

> news:pMlXc.4373$Y%[email protected]...
>
> <snip>
>
> Just a comment on this:
>

>> The Australian cycling program was tainted in the months before Athens by
>> drug-taking allegations and months of being dragged through the mud by
>> police, judicial and customs investigations.
>>

> ...And certain sections of the Aussie media (it appears with a little help
> from the AOC) which bought the Mark French story lock, stock and barrel
> without considering that *maybe* he was telling an untruth or two, as
> suggested by the CAS which described French's testimony as "implausible".
> The back pedalling on this was incredible.
>
> Funny thing is, none of the Australian gold medalists were among those
> "named" by French, apart from Graeme Brown...but Brown was not even in
> Adelaide when the alleged "shooting gallery" was holding its AGM!
>
> Fair enough to come down hard on the guilty parties, but it shouldn't
> taint
> the whole team/sport. It's like saying that a whole firm of lawyers is
> corrupt just because one or two of them are. Perish the thought.
>
> Jeff

Perish the thought, indeed.

news:OVqXc.4660$Y%[email protected]...

> "Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:pMlXc.4373$Y%[email protected]...
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Just a comment on this:
>>

>>> The Australian cycling program was tainted in the months before Athens
>>> by
>>> drug-taking allegations and months of being dragged through the mud by
>>> police, judicial and customs investigations.
>>>

>> ...And certain sections of the Aussie media (it appears with a little
>> help
>> from the AOC) which bought the Mark French story lock, stock and barrel
>> without considering that *maybe* he was telling an untruth or two, as
>> suggested by the CAS which described French's testimony as "implausible".
>> The back pedalling on this was incredible.
>>
>> Funny thing is, none of the Australian gold medalists were among those
>> "named" by French, apart from Graeme Brown...but Brown was not even in
>> Adelaide when the alleged "shooting gallery" was holding its AGM!
>>
>> Fair enough to come down hard on the guilty parties, but it shouldn't
>> taint
>> the whole team/sport. It's like saying that a whole firm of lawyers is
>> corrupt just because one or two of them are. Perish the thought.
>>
>> Jeff

> Perish the thought, indeed.

I should add, Jeff that partners in a law firm are liable for the misdeeds
of fellow partners--not criminally, but for civil damages.

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:34:36 GMT, B. Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote:

> news:OVqXc.4660$Y%[email protected]...
>>
>> "Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:pMlXc.4373$Y%[email protected]...
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Just a comment on this:

>>> ...And certain sections of the Aussie media (it appears with a little
>>> help
>>> from the AOC) which bought the Mark French story lock, stock and barrel
>>> without considering that *maybe* he was telling an untruth or two, as
>>> suggested by the CAS which described French's testimony as
>>> "implausible".
>>> The back pedalling on this was incredible.
>>>
>>> Funny thing is, none of the Australian gold medalists were among those
>>> "named" by French, apart from Graeme Brown...but Brown was not even in
>>> Adelaide when the alleged "shooting gallery" was holding its AGM!
>>>
>>> Fair enough to come down hard on the guilty parties, but it shouldn't
>>> taint
>>> the whole team/sport. It's like saying that a whole firm of lawyers is
>>> corrupt just because one or two of them are. Perish the thought.
>>>
>>> Jeff

>> Perish the thought, indeed.

> I should add, Jeff that partners in a law firm are liable for the
> misdeeds
> of fellow partners--not criminally, but for civil damages.

Even if one partner didn't know what the other was doing?

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

"Bob in CT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:34:36 GMT, B. Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:OVqXc.4660$Y%[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Perish the thought, indeed.

>> I should add, Jeff that partners in a law firm are liable for the
>> misdeeds
>> of fellow partners--not criminally, but for civil damages.
>>

> Even if one partner didn't know what the other was doing?

Generally, yes. Pick your partners well and stay on top of your business.

[cut]

>>> I should add, Jeff that partners in a law firm are liable for the
>>> misdeeds
>>> of fellow partners--not criminally, but for civil damages.
>>>

>> Even if one partner didn't know what the other was doing?

> Generally, yes. Pick your partners well and stay on top of your business.

So, that's probably the reason for limited liability partnerships (if they
happen to have them in your state).

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

"Bob in CT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> [cut]

>>> Even if one partner didn't know what the other was doing?

>> Generally, yes. Pick your partners well and stay on top of your business.
>>

> So, that's probably the reason for limited liability partnerships (if they
> happen to have them in your state).
>
> --
> Bob in CT
> Remove ".x" to reply

My recollection is that LLPs and LLCs are set up that way in an attempt to
limit the liability of all partners in a general sense. There can be
limited and general partners within a partnership. The limited partner's
liability is limited to that partner's capital investment in the
partnership.

news:pMlXc.4373$Y%[email protected]..

<snip>

> "I've had four (drug tests) in the past five days," said dual gold

medallist
> Ryan Bayley at a press conference on Thursday.

Which we all know means absolutely nothing, How can you not be suspicious of
the team as a whole, regardless of what Mark French says? Dajka's DNA was
found on syringes, Eadie had Peptide hormones mailed to him in the past. His
defense was "anyone could have mailed those to me. I didn't order
those"...sure...uh huh....

Dave

In article <[email protected]>, Dave H

> news:pMlXc.4373$Y%[email protected]..
>

> <snip>
>
> > "I've had four (drug tests) in the past five days," said dual gold

> medallist
> > Ryan Bayley at a press conference on Thursday.

> Which we all know means absolutely nothing, How can you not be suspicious of
> the team as a whole, regardless of what Mark French says? Dajka's DNA was
> found on syringes, Eadie had Peptide hormones mailed to him in the past. His
> defense was "anyone could have mailed those to me. I didn't order
> those"...sure...uh huh....

So he shows no traces during the last 5 days-so what?! Does he think
we're stupid enough to think that means anything?

-WG

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:260820041938514070%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Dave H
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:pMlXc.4373$Y%[email protected]..
> >

> > <snip>
> >
> > > "I've had four (drug tests) in the past five days," said dual gold

> > medallist
> > > Ryan Bayley at a press conference on Thursday.

> > Which we all know means absolutely nothing, How can you not be

suspicious of
> > the team as a whole, regardless of what Mark French says? Dajka's DNA

was
> > found on syringes, Eadie had Peptide hormones mailed to him in the past.

His
> > defense was "anyone could have mailed those to me. I didn't order
> > those"...sure...uh huh....

> So he shows no traces during the last 5 days-so what?! Does he think
> we're stupid enough to think that means anything?
>
> -WG

And is it just me or do they all just have bad skin?

<[email protected]> wrote:

> "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:260820041938514070%[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, Dave H
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:pMlXc.4373$Y%[email protected]..
> > >

> > > <snip>

> > > medallist
> > >

> > > Which we all know means absolutely nothing, How can you not be

> suspicious of
> > > the team as a whole, regardless of what Mark French says? Dajka's DNA

> was
> > > found on syringes, Eadie had Peptide hormones mailed to him in the past.

> His
> > > defense was "anyone could have mailed those to me. I didn't order
> > > those"...sure...uh huh....

> > So he shows no traces during the last 5 days-so what?! Does he think
> > we're stupid enough to think that means anything?
> >
> > -WG

> And is it just me or do they all just have bad skin?

That's just a phase, you know, like puberty. Happens to nearly all
teenagers. Kinda like going bald, or things getting smaller than they
used to be. You know, normal stuff like that.

-WG

"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<2grXc.4685$Y%[email protected]>...
> "Bob in CT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:eek:[email protected]...
> > [cut]

> >> Generally, yes. Pick your partners well and stay on top of your business.

> > So, that's probably the reason for limited liability partnerships (if they
> > happen to have them in your state).
> >
> > --
> > Bob in CT
> > Remove ".x" to reply

> My recollection is that LLPs and LLCs are set up that way in an attempt to
> limit the liability of all partners in a general sense. There can be
> limited and general partners within a partnership. The limited partner's
> liability is limited to that partner's capital investment in the
> partnership.

California has more licensed and registerd attorneys that any other
state
(over 140,000 active lawyers and 45,000 inactive, plus adding MJPs to
the roles here where attny's licensed in other states but work in CA a
lot can appear in state court for many of their cases here)

CALIF. LAW CORPORATIONS & LIMITED LIABILITY PARTNERSHIPS
E-Mail Address:
[email protected]
[email protected]

By statute and State Bar Rules and Regulations, attorneys can practice
law in professional law corporations and limited liability
partnerships (LLPs). Attorneys who wish to practice law as a law
corporation or a limited liability partnership must be registered with
the State Bar. Registration requirements include showing corporate
structure, security for claims and an approved name. Information and
application forms are available online at calbar.ca.gov.

Lawyers race and also help sponsor teams.

-Ken

"Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Fair enough to come down hard on the guilty parties, but it shouldn't

taint
> the whole team/sport. It's like saying that a whole firm of lawyers is
> corrupt just because one or two of them are. Perish the thought.

Think about what you're saying - what if one of the lawyers was Brian?