Friend looking for a new rear wheel, some questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jonathan Bond

Hey, my friend trashed his rear Coda expert disc hub, and the rim was getting pretty beat up anyway.
He was going to buy a crossmax SL disc wheel for the rear, but I suggested this instead:

Chris King ISO disc (he's got a 6 bolt rotor sitting around for his hope minis, so he doesn't have
to worry about the stupid coda 5 bolt deal) DT Swiss 14/15/14 or Alpine III spokes Mavic X317 disc
rim brass nipples

Sound about right? Its about the same price and weight (or a bit lower on both counts), and I
think its a much nicer wheel. I'd tell him to get a wheelset, but he's got that whole lefty
thang goin' on.

And no, this friend isn't me, I can't afford to spend that much on wheels ;)

Jon Bond

"Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey, my friend trashed his rear Coda expert disc hub, and the rim was getting pretty beat up
> anyway. He was going to buy a crossmax SL disc wheel for the rear, but I suggested this instead:
>
> Chris King ISO disc (he's got a 6 bolt rotor sitting around for his hope minis, so he doesn't have
> to worry about the stupid coda 5 bolt deal) DT Swiss 14/15/14 or Alpine III spokes Mavic X317 disc
> rim brass nipples
>
> Sound about right? Its about the same price and weight (or a bit lower on both counts), and I
> think its a much nicer wheel. I'd tell him to get a wheelset, but he's got that whole lefty thang
> goin' on.
>
> And no, this friend isn't me, I can't afford to spend that much on wheels
;)
>
> Jon Bond
>

I hope he listens to you. That'd be my XC wheel(s) if I could afford 'em too.

Mike

Jonathan Bond wrote:
> Hey, my friend trashed his rear Coda expert disc hub, and the rim was getting pretty beat up
> anyway. He was going to buy a crossmax SL disc wheel for the rear, but I suggested this instead:
>
> Chris King ISO disc (he's got a 6 bolt rotor sitting around for his hope minis, so he doesn't have
> to worry about the stupid coda 5 bolt deal) DT Swiss 14/15/14 or Alpine III spokes Mavic X317 disc
> rim brass nipples
>
> Sound about right? Its about the same price and weight (or a bit lower on both counts), and I
> think its a much nicer wheel. I'd tell him to get a wheelset, but he's got that whole lefty thang
> goin' on.
>
> And no, this friend isn't me, I can't afford to spend that much on wheels ;)
>
> Jon Bond

I believe that the 317 was one of the rims that wasn't strong enough for me (the inside of rim
fatigue cracked between spoke holes -- I weigh 225 lbs, if that makes a difference). I'm running
Chris King iso-disc, alpine spokes, brass nipples, Mavic x219. Longest lasting setup so far!

David

David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jonathan Bond wrote:
> > Hey, my friend trashed his rear Coda expert disc hub, and the rim was getting pretty beat up
> > anyway. He was going to buy a crossmax SL disc wheel for the rear, but I suggested this instead:
> >
> > Chris King ISO disc (he's got a 6 bolt rotor sitting around for his hope minis, so he doesn't
> > have to worry about the stupid coda 5 bolt deal) DT Swiss 14/15/14 or Alpine III spokes Mavic
> > X317 disc rim brass nipples
> >
> > Sound about right? Its about the same price and weight (or a bit lower on both counts), and I
> > think its a much nicer wheel. I'd tell him to get a wheelset, but he's got that whole lefty
> > thang goin' on.
> >
> > And no, this friend isn't me, I can't afford to spend that much on wheels ;)
> >
> > Jon Bond
>
> I believe that the 317 was one of the rims that wasn't strong enough for me (the inside of rim
> fatigue cracked between spoke holes -- I weigh 225 lbs, if that makes a difference).

Friend of mine trashed his new 317 built wheel on a ride with me, when he crashed at low speed on
flat ground - front wheel took a sideways knock from a lump of grass, and pringled. Don't seem very
strong to me.

Shaun aRe

Status
Not open for further replies.