Friend looking for a new rear wheel, some questions.

Jonathan Bond

Guest
Hey, my friend trashed his rear Coda expert disc hub, and the rim was getting pretty beat up anyway.
He was going to buy a crossmax SL disc wheel for the rear, but I suggested this instead:

Chris King ISO disc (he's got a 6 bolt rotor sitting around for his hope minis, so he doesn't have
to worry about the stupid coda 5 bolt deal) DT Swiss 14/15/14 or Alpine III spokes Mavic X317 disc
rim brass nipples

Sound about right? Its about the same price and weight (or a bit lower on both counts), and I
think its a much nicer wheel. I'd tell him to get a wheelset, but he's got that whole lefty
thang goin' on.

And no, this friend isn't me, I can't afford to spend that much on wheels ;)

Jon Bond

"Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey, my friend trashed his rear Coda expert disc hub, and the rim was getting pretty beat up
> anyway. He was going to buy a crossmax SL disc wheel for the rear, but I suggested this instead:
>
> Chris King ISO disc (he's got a 6 bolt rotor sitting around for his hope minis, so he doesn't have
> to worry about the stupid coda 5 bolt deal) DT Swiss 14/15/14 or Alpine III spokes Mavic X317 disc
> rim brass nipples
>
> Sound about right? Its about the same price and weight (or a bit lower on both counts), and I
> think its a much nicer wheel. I'd tell him to get a wheelset, but he's got that whole lefty thang
> goin' on.
>
> And no, this friend isn't me, I can't afford to spend that much on wheels
;)

> Jon Bond

I hope he listens to you. That'd be my XC wheel(s) if I could afford 'em too.

Mike

Jonathan Bond wrote:
> Hey, my friend trashed his rear Coda expert disc hub, and the rim was getting pretty beat up
> anyway. He was going to buy a crossmax SL disc wheel for the rear, but I suggested this instead:
>
> Chris King ISO disc (he's got a 6 bolt rotor sitting around for his hope minis, so he doesn't have
> to worry about the stupid coda 5 bolt deal) DT Swiss 14/15/14 or Alpine III spokes Mavic X317 disc
> rim brass nipples
>
> Sound about right? Its about the same price and weight (or a bit lower on both counts), and I
> think its a much nicer wheel. I'd tell him to get a wheelset, but he's got that whole lefty thang
> goin' on.
>
> And no, this friend isn't me, I can't afford to spend that much on wheels ;)
>
> Jon Bond

I believe that the 317 was one of the rims that wasn't strong enough for me (the inside of rim
fatigue cracked between spoke holes -- I weigh 225 lbs, if that makes a difference). I'm running
Chris King iso-disc, alpine spokes, brass nipples, Mavic x219. Longest lasting setup so far!

David

David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jonathan Bond wrote:
> > Hey, my friend trashed his rear Coda expert disc hub, and the rim was getting pretty beat up
> > anyway. He was going to buy a crossmax SL disc wheel for the rear, but I suggested this instead:
> >
> > Chris King ISO disc (he's got a 6 bolt rotor sitting around for his hope minis, so he doesn't
> > have to worry about the stupid coda 5 bolt deal) DT Swiss 14/15/14 or Alpine III spokes Mavic
> > X317 disc rim brass nipples
> >
> > Sound about right? Its about the same price and weight (or a bit lower on both counts), and I
> > think its a much nicer wheel. I'd tell him to get a wheelset, but he's got that whole lefty
> > thang goin' on.
> >
> > And no, this friend isn't me, I can't afford to spend that much on wheels ;)
> >
> > Jon Bond
>
> I believe that the 317 was one of the rims that wasn't strong enough for me (the inside of rim
> fatigue cracked between spoke holes -- I weigh 225 lbs, if that makes a difference).

Friend of mine trashed his new 317 built wheel on a ride with me, when he crashed at low speed on
flat ground - front wheel took a sideways knock from a lump of grass, and pringled. Don't seem very
strong to me.

Shaun aRe