Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Front Mechs - top swing v's bottom swing:

Started by Shaun Rimmer · · Last activity · 7 posts · 992 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
23 May 2003
Last activity
27 May 2003
Original author
Shaun Rimmer
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
992
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I know, I know - I'm a cross-posting low life scum sucker, but still, I have a question (some of)
    you may be able to help me with, if you would be so kind/feel like being helpful:

    I'm in need of a new front mech (MTB), as the old Deore top swing one has so much slop in the pivots
    now, it's all but useless. It's a year-ish old, as was the last one when it died from the same
    infernal malaise.

    This time, I'm looking at getting an LX or XT mech, and was wondering, would the bottom-swing
    (OoOOO!)/conventional type likely last me any longer? The low end one that I had on my old steely
    was still quite functional after 10
    + years, but I don't know if that's because it was made before [censored] started using cheese as a
    build material, or if it's down to the design being a better one.

    There should be no practical reason to stop me, as I'm riding a hardtail with plenty of space to fit
    the clamp band higher on the seat tube, so it's just down to longevity of performance AFAIAA.

    TIA goodly folks for all and any tips, knowledge, conjecture, flames, general nonsense, comical
    anecdotes about when your dog was a puppy etc.

    Shaun aRe - It's weekend soon - have a good one.

  2. "Shaun Rimmer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I know, I know - I'm a cross-posting low life scum sucker, but still, I


    have

    Quoted message said:

    a question (some of) you may be able to help me with, if you would be so kind/feel like being
    helpful:

    I'm in need of a new front mech (MTB), as the old Deore top swing one has


    so

    Quoted message said:

    much slop in the pivots now, it's all but useless. It's a year-ish old, as was the last one when
    it died from the same infernal malaise.

    This time, I'm looking at getting an LX or XT mech, and was wondering,


    would

    Quoted message said:

    the bottom-swing (OoOOO!)/conventional type likely last me any longer? The low end one that I had
    on my old steely was still quite functional after


    10

    Quoted message said:

    + years, but I don't know if that's because it was made before [censored] started using cheese as a
    build material, or if it's down to the design being a better one.

    Do you ride in mud a lot? Can you pinpoint the cause of your FD failure: excessive miles, excessive
    shifting, excessive masturbation?

    Oh that's me.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  3. <snippey>

    Quoted message said:

    TIA goodly folks for all and any tips,

    keep fish and cheese separately in your fridge.

    Quoted message said:

    knowledge,

    did you know that the brake hose unions on the front of a MkV Escort have the same thread as a
    shimano rear hub? (difficult to work into conversations, that one)

    Quoted message said:

    conjecture,

    Quoted message said:

    flames,

    [censored]!

    Quoted message said:

    general nonsense,

    mountain biking is a selfish, destructive, frivolous sport commited by first order canine sodomites.

    comical anecdotes about when your dog was a puppy etc.

    I never had a dog. Sob.

    Quoted message said:

    Shaun aRe - It's weekend soon - have a good one.

    I hate the top swing ones. They look [censored], they rattle, and they break quickly. They're [censored]. I've
    found the traditional bottom swing (?) ones much more satisfactory. Binkie has an LX one that's been
    good and solid for some time now.

    I do have a brand new topswing one kicking around here somewhere. It does have the advantage that
    with its shims and dual cable pull, you can fit it to pretty much any MTB going. Which is handy when
    I can't find the right one.

    Andy Chequer

  4. Phil, Squid-in-Training <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Shaun Rimmer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I know, I know - I'm a cross-posting low life scum sucker, but still, I


    have

    Quoted message said:

    a question (some of) you may be able to help me with, if you would be so kind/feel like being
    helpful:

    I'm in need of a new front mech (MTB), as the old Deore top swing one


    has

    Quoted message said:

    so

    Quoted message said:

    much slop in the pivots now, it's all but useless. It's a year-ish old,


    as

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    was the last one when it died from the same infernal malaise.

    This time, I'm looking at getting an LX or XT mech, and was wondering,


    would

    Quoted message said:

    the bottom-swing (OoOOO!)/conventional type likely last me any longer?


    The

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    low end one that I had on my old steely was still quite functional after


    10

    Quoted message said:

    + years, but I don't know if that's because it was made before [censored] started using cheese as
    a build material, or if it's down to the design being a better one.

    Do you ride in mud a lot?

    Nearly every time I ride off road.

    Quoted message said:

    Can you pinpoint the cause of your FD failure: excessive miles,

    Nope - done less than 2,000 on this one, and the majority of those miles are road commutes to and
    from work.

    Quoted message said:

    excessive shifting,

    I shift when it's right to shift, no more, no less.

    Quoted message said:

    excessive masturbation?

    On the part of Shimano? No doubt.......

    Quoted message said:

    Oh that's me.

    You work for Shimano?!?!?

    Cheers,

    Shaun aRe

  5. Andy Chequer <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    <snippey>

    Quoted message said:

    TIA goodly folks for all and any tips,

    keep fish and cheese separately in your fridge.

    What do I do with that tube of Primula Cheese whith Prawn?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    knowledge,

    did you know that the brake hose unions on the front of a MkV Escort have the same thread as a
    shimano rear hub? (difficult to work into conversations, that one)

    No I didn't know - thanks for filling that gap in my info store.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    conjecture,


    Sideways.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    flames,

    [censored]!

    See those cabers fly folks......

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    general nonsense,

    mountain biking is a selfish, destructive, frivolous sport commited by


    first

    Quoted message said:

    order canine sodomites.

    Accurate in that context.

    Quoted message said:

    comical anecdotes about when your dog was a puppy etc.

    I never had a dog. Sob.

    Stir fried with galangal, garlic, green chile soy and kafar lime leaves.....hmmm....

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Shaun aRe - It's weekend soon - have a good one.

    I hate the top swing ones. They look [censored], they rattle,

    Truth brother Chequer, truth!

    Quoted message said:

    and they break quickly. They're [censored]. I've found the traditional bottom swing (?) ones


    much

    Quoted message said:

    more satisfactory. Binkie has an LX one that's been good and solid for


    some

    Quoted message said:

    time now.

    Cheers - this is what I thought I'd hear.

    Quoted message said:

    I do have a brand new topswing one kicking around here somewhere. It does have the advantage that
    with its shims and dual cable pull, you can fit it to pretty much any MTB going. Which is handy
    when I can't find the right one.

    Indeed, but I seen this web-site that seems to have LX and XT bottom swing in both top and bottom
    pull, and in a whole renge of clamp sizes - might go for it........

    Quoted message said:

    Andy Chequer

    Cheers old fruit!

    Shaun aRe - rancid raspberry.

  6. On Tue, 27 May 2003 10:13:19 +0100, Shaun Rimmer did issue forth:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    keep fish and cheese separately in your fridge.

    What do I do with that tube of Primula Cheese whith Prawn?

    I think you'll need to squirt it all into a sieve with a fine enough mesh so that the cheese goes
    through and the prawn stays in the sieve.

    Incidentally, did you know that Primula cheese tubes use the same thread as certain types of grease
    gun? Handy if you need to make yourself a cheese spread sandwich in a hurry.

    Huw "Squirty" Pritchard

  7. Huw Pritchard <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 27 May 2003 10:13:19 +0100, Shaun Rimmer did issue forth:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    keep fish and cheese separately in your fridge.

    What do I do with that tube of Primula Cheese whith Prawn?

    I think you'll need to squirt it all into a sieve with a fine enough mesh so that the cheese goes
    through and the prawn stays in the sieve.

    Plastic or steel mesh?

    Quoted message said:

    Incidentally, did you know that Primula cheese tubes use the same thread as certain types of
    grease gun? Handy if you need to make yourself a cheese spread sandwich in a hurry.

    I already knew this, as does the guy who's got siezed axle bearings.

    Shaun aRe

    Quoted message said:

    Huw "Squirty" Pritchard

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.