Front Ring Setup Question on Campy Gear

Tom

Guest
On my Pegoretti I have a 53/39 front ring and a 13/29 rear cog. Its a 9spd Campy system.

Can I put on a smaller ring than the 39 and have it function properly with the rest of the Campy
gear? For example, is it possible to put on a 36?

Tom

Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 19:25:56 +0000, Tom wrote:

> Can I put on a smaller ring than the 39 and have it function properly with the rest of the Campy
> gear? For example, is it possible to put on a 36?

Only if you get a new crankset. This is not an impossible task, nor need it be expensive. Since you
are using a pie-plate sized sprocket in the rear now, this could help a lot. You would need a new
bottom bracket, as well, since Campy does not sell a crankset with a smaller bolt circle.

A 110mm bolt pattern (you currently have 135) will allow you a 34 inner chainring, which gives you
considerably lower gears. There are road versions of these, or any mountain bike crankset would also
work. You do need to make sure the chainline is good, though, which may mean a
smaller-than-recommended bottom bracket.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | I don't believe you, you've got the whole damn thing all wrong. _`\(,_ | He's not the kind
you have to wind-up on Sundays. --Ian (_)/ (_) | Anderson

Tom wrote:

> On my Pegoretti I have a 53/39 front ring and a 13/29 rear cog. Its a=
9spd
> Campy system.
>=20
> Can I put on a smaller ring than the 39 and have it function properly w=
ith
> the rest of the Campy gear? For example, is it possible to put on a 36=
?

Only if you replace your crank set. Campagnolo cranks have the bolts in =

a circle of 135 mm diameter, which makes 39 teeth the smallest that will =

fit.

If you were to replace the crankset with a different brand, in a model=20 with, say, a 110 mm or
smaller bolt circle, then you could do this. You =

would likely also need a new bottom bracket unit, but everything else=20 would be compatible.

110 mm doubles aren't as common as they once were, but there's a pretty=20 nice Dimension unit
that's quite reasonable:

http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=3D49&SKU=3DCR2390

and:

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings.html#110

Actually, there's a pretty decent chance this would work with your=20 present bottom bracket.

Sheldon "Wide Range Double" Brown +------------------------------------------------+
| My brother will be having a one-man show at | The Yellow Barn Gallery, Glen Echo Maryland |
| Saturday November 1, noon-7:00; | Sunday November 12 Noon-5:00 | Reception Nov. 1 4:00-6:00=97see
| you there! | http://junila.com |
+------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

tom-<< Can I put on a smaller ring than the 39 and have it function properly with the rest of the
Campy gear? For example, is it possible to put on a 36?
>><BR><BR>

Yes but not with that crank..smallest small ring is 39t..with a 110mm bolt diameter crank, and say a
50/34 or 36, it will still work just fine.

'Interbike theme this year besides carbon...110mm road cranks, with 50/34...I think Tyler should get
a royalty...

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 21:20:45 -0400, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

>If you were to replace the crankset with a different brand, in a model with, say, a 110 mm or
>smaller bolt circle, then you could do this. You would likely also need a new bottom bracket unit,
>but everything else would be compatible.
>
>110 mm doubles aren't as common as they once were, but there's a pretty nice Dimension unit that's
>quite reasonable:

For informational purposes, the Dimension 110 double gives inner ring distance of 43.5 from the
centerline of frame. If one had a Campy 111 or 115 mm bb, the Dimension would be a bolt on with no
new bb necessary.