bobbyOCR said:Don't order them from overseas or ebay unless you are prepared to pay the customs fees and live without warranty. Otherwise, FSA hubs haven't got the greatest rep but they have good bearings and roll forever. The spokes are good (ellipse not blades) and it is great value for a deep carbon tuby.
The warranty's definitely worth having – especially as FSA's after sales is very good. That's speaking from experience when I had a problem with my RD400 rear hub (eventually traced, ahem, to owner error..). I emailed FSA with a simple tech query (ie, how do I get the friggin' bearings out) in the States, they emailed straight back, copied to the French importer, who emailed the next day, offering a free hub rebuild and shipping at their expense. In the end I just got them to send the bearings and did it myself, but I appreciated the willingness to make the offer.
Not sure about the RD488, but the bearings in RD400 and RD200 are all generic bearings, exactly the same as those used by Gipiemme, Shimano and others. Very smooth when new, although I have had one fail on the RD400 rear. Cheap and easy to change though (once you know how the axle comes apart!).