Fun comment

Mikael Seierup

Guest
A guy to another as they walk across the road heading towards me as I'm starting from a stop at the
stoplight:

> A guy to another as they walk across the road heading towards me as I'm starting from a stop at
> the stoplight:

:)

Once I while being passed by a guy and his wife on a tandem, I heard him say to her, "See honey, I
told you that wasn't no midget."

skip

>> "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote: A guy to another as they walk across the road
>> heading towards me as I'm starting from a stop at the stoplight:

>skip at [email protected] wrote on 5/26/03 1:06 PM: Once I while being passed by a guy and his wife
>on a tandem, I heard him say to her, "See honey, I told you that wasn't no midget."

Or the all too common: <amazed voice> "You can stand!"

<televangelist projected voice> "Be healed!"

My favorite is the clapping and patronizing tone of "Good for you!!" Very often accompanied by the
ol' double thumbs up gesture.

I usually reply with a somewhat slurred "Thank you!"

Byron Simms

"Jay" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BAF7D1AF.FD0E%[email protected]...
> >> "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote: A guy to another as they walk across the
> >> road heading towards me as I'm starting from a stop at the stoplight:

> >skip at [email protected] wrote on 5/26/03 1:06 PM: Once I while being passed by a guy and his
> >wife on a tandem, I heard him
say
> > to her, "See honey, I told you that wasn't no midget."
>
> Or the all too common: <amazed voice> "You can stand!"
>

> <televangelist projected voice> "Be healed!"

My favorite was from a very excited 6 year old just after the Circus had been in town. CLOWN BIKE!
It makes me smile every time I think about it Denny in Sayre, PA "Bent but not Broken" "Mikael
Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> A guy to another as they walk across the road heading towards me as I'm starting from a stop at
> the stoplight:

------=_NextPart_000_00A9_01C323C5.E0617A40 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

About 30 miles into a ride, a group of us pull into the yard of a = relative of one of the group.
I'm on the only bent. The homeowner = pulls her cousin aside and aks "What kind of bike is that".
My friend = replies "Its a recumbent". The homeowner asks with concern "Oh, is = there something
wrong with him?". My friend doesn't miss a = beat..."Well, yeah, but its got nothing to do with
the bike,".

It's good to have friends.

"Denny Voorhees" <[email protected]> wrote in message =
news:[email protected]...
> My favorite was from a very excited 6 year old just after the Circus =
had
> been in town. CLOWN BIKE! It makes me smile every time I think about it Denny in Sayre, PA "Bent
> but not Broken" "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > A guy to another as they walk across the road heading towards me as I'm starting from a stop at
> > the stoplight:

>=20

------=_NextPart_000_00A9_01C323C5.E0617A40 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
6.00.2800.1106" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>About 30 miles into a ride, a group of = us pull into=20 the yard
of a relative of one of the group. I'm on the only=20 bent. The homeowner
pulls her cousin aside and aks "What = kind of=20 bike is that". My friend replies "Its
a recumbent". The = homeowner=20 asks with concern "Oh, is there something
<EM>wrong</EM> with = him?". =20 My friend doesn't miss a beat..."Well, yeah, but its
got nothing to do = with the=20 bike,".</FONT></DIV>
<DV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DVI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It's good to have friends.</FONT></DIV>
<DVII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DVIII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIX><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Denny Voorhees" <</FONT><A=20
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>[email protected]</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial = size=3D2>> wrote in=20
message </FONT><A = href=3D"news:[email protected]"><FONT=20
face=3DArial = size=3D2>news:[email protected]</FONT></A><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>> = My favorite was=20
from a very excited 6 year old just after the Circus had<BR>> been in =

town.<BR>> CLOWN BIKE!<BR>> It makes me smile every time I think = about=20 it<BR>> Denny
in Sayre, PA<BR>> "Bent but not Broken"<BR>> = "Mikael=20 Seierup" <</FONT><A
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]"><FONT = face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>[email protected]</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial = size=3D2>> wrote in=20
message<BR>> </FONT><A=20 href=3D"news:[email protected]"><FONT
face=3DArial =

size=3D2>news:[email protected]</FONT></A><FONT = face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>...<BR>> > A guy to another as they walk across the road = heading=20 towards
me<BR>> > as I'm starting from a stop at the = stoplight:<BR>>=20

><BR>>=20 ><BR>> ><BR>> <BR>> </FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00A9_01C323C5.E0617A40--

At a convenience store to pick up some "fuel" for my ride, someone had this to say about my trike:

"Hey, you squashed your bike!"

My reply:

"Yup, and I added a third wheel to make up for it."

--
Russ Price * [email protected] * kill the wabbit to email

"If the world and everything in it was stocks....I would be shorting humans and going long on the
cockroaches." -John H.

The current (or was it last year) slang around here for the 10-14yo is "syg cykel" ~ "sick bike". I
think it is ment in a positive way..

> A guy to another as they walk across the road heading towards me as I'm starting from a stop at
> the stoplight:

Interesting. Riding my Bikee RX in NE Ohio, I, for some reason, keep hearing "cool bike!" as the
typical comment. This from kids and drivers who sometimes even roll their windows down and pull up
next to me at red lights. I wonder if the comments will change when I get my GTO next month.

BentJay

From a six or seven year old kid wearing a downhill full tilt boogy kamekazi full face helmet,
riding on a tandem bolt-on, "Strange bike."

From someone young in a bunch of people, "Look at those...superman bikes" (My V-REX and my
bud's Trice)

Last year's best line was from a shorty in a face backwards trailer,
"Lookitlookitlookitlookitlookitlookit."

"BentJay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Interesting. Riding my Bikee RX in NE Ohio, I, for some reason, keep hearing "cool bike!" as the
> typical comment. This from kids and drivers who sometimes even roll their windows down and pull up
> next to me at red lights. I wonder if the comments will change when I get my GTO next month.
>
> BentJay

Someone said they found the smiles they provoke when riding to be condecending or patronizing.

That would be one take.

Personally, I feel I am the local distributor of happiness.

Those who resent my presence on the road are another story. I haven't found a positive take
on them yet.

--
Miles of Smiles,

Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

www.gate.net/~teblum

From a bunch of young "dudes" in a pick-up: "Whoa!"

That made me smile.

The most "out there," however, was when a group of about twenty field workers stood and clapped and
cheered as we cruised by on our Greenspeed tandem. When was the last time that happened to anyone on
a wedgie who wasn't racing?

Scott

news:<[email protected]>...

On Tue, 27 May 2003 10:48:41 -0500, "harv" <harv*no_spam*@spininternet.com> wrote:

~From a six or seven year old kid wearing a downhill full tilt boogy kamekazi ~full face helmet,
riding on a tandem bolt-on, "Strange bike." ~ While I get a cornacopia of responses, mostly all very
complementary, there is this one little kid who his parents keep 'trapped' behind a steel fence on a
certain street I frequent. Everytime I go by there when he is out playing in his side yard he gives
me the typical Nelson response. (You know Nelson, the bully on the Simpsons that keeps beating up
Bart, and dated Lisa for a while.) He always yells, HA, HA!

Next time I am going to ambush him with a bunch of anti-Nelson comments as tho I were Bart Simpson
himself. I bet I won't hear from the little dear again! :eek:)

Don

> BentJay at [email protected] wrote on 5/27/03 11:40 AM: Interesting. Riding my Bikee RX in NE
> Ohio, I, for some reason, keep hearing "cool bike!" as the typical comment. This from kids and
> drivers who sometimes even roll their windows down and pull up next to me at red lights. I wonder
> if the comments will change when I get my GTO next month.

In my experience: A two wheel bent gets some great notice. A homebuilt trike gets even more positive
notice. A Greenspeed Trike gets the most positive attention so far.

>> "BentJay" <[email protected]> wrote: Interesting. Riding my Bikee RX in NE Ohio, I, for some
>> reason, keep hearing "cool bike!" as the typical comment. This from kids and drivers who
>> sometimes even roll their windows down and pull up next to me at red lights. I wonder if the
>> comments will change when I get my GTO next month.
>>
>> BentJay

> harv at harv*no_spam*@spininternet.com wrote on 5/27/03 11:48 AM: From a six or seven year old kid
> wearing a downhill full tilt boogy kamekazi full face helmet, riding on a tandem bolt-on, "Strange
> bike." From someone young in a bunch of people, "Look at those...superman bikes" (My V-REX and my
> bud's Trice) Last year's best line was from a shorty in a face backwards trailer,
> "Lookitlookitlookitlookitlookitlookit."

I get about 20-30 "Cool Bikes" per hour with an equal number of second looks and positive gestures.
There has probably been thousands of good comments. If I stop for any reason - it is 5-/50 that
someone will walk up to ask questions. It is the unusual comments that stick with you. Eg: When
riding past a historical park, two gentlewomen seniors who were dressed rather formally rose
together and gave me a standing ovation, while lightly applauding and saying in refined voices "
Wonderful, simply lovely" BTW I was riding my first bent which is a very rough looking homebuilt.

Rude comments are fairly rare. Maybe 1/300 of out loud verbal comments or so. I had two different
people approach me last week for information but were rude and contradictory to most of the answers.
It was plain that they did not know anything about the subjects at all. I don't mind being corrected
by people who know more information than me. After a bit- I called them on their behaviour and they
apologized and agreed that I was right and continued in a much nicer attitude and had an enjoyable
discussion.

to a woman having more technical knowledge than them. Most men that I meet are thrilled to find a
woman who has such similar interests.

>Tom Blum at [email protected] wrote: Someone said they found the smiles they provoke when riding to
>be condecending or patronizing. That would be one take. Personally, I feel I am the local
>distributor of happiness. Those who resent my presence on the road are another story. I haven't
>found a positive take on them yet.

I chose to see that most of the smiles are of genuine enthusiasm. When I hear about two dozen
heartfelt positive comments per hour, it is hard to take it as negative. I am so happy to be doing
what I enjoy and spreading alternative possibilities. Every day (depending on location, weather and
length of ride)_ I hear 20-100 positive comments and an equal number of additional positive
gestures. I meet about 5-25 people a day to give them a requested 5-20 minutes Q&A session. Every
time, I let someone ride my trike, they get a deep down authentic child-like enthusiasm that makes a
smile they can't wipe off their face.

Now honestly- How often in your life can you be doing exactly what you love and still having so much
positive impact with strangers every day?

Jay <-- does more PR than most local bent riders

"Jay" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BAF9809F.10266%[email protected]...

> In my experience: A two wheel bent gets some great notice. A homebuilt trike gets even more
> positive notice. A Greenspeed Trike gets the most positive attention so far.

I would think so. I live in a good sized city and I've never seen a trike although I know there are
several in town.

I get a good number of comments when I ride my USS Ryan, but hardly any when I ride my OSS Easy
Racer. Most of the USS comments involve the great feat of riding something that appears to be
unridable or that the bike appears to be incomplete. Once I was gliding along on my Ryan, relaxed,
reading a map I held in one hand, and steering with the other, when another cyclist asked me if the
bike was hard to ride. With some regret still I gave him the smart assed answer "almost impossible".
A perceptive non cyclist woman commented, "that bike seems to be missing some parts" and a cyclist
asked if I was going to get the rest of the bike for Christmas. Another non cyclist asked if it was
hard to pedal with all that chain. A man pointed out my rear tire, a Specialized Fat Boy slick, and
told his wife that I had to have come a long way because the tread was worn completely off the tire.
My own mother wondered if it should have seat belts. And so it goes.

skip

"Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

<snip>
> Someone said they found the smiles they provoke when riding to be condecending or patronizing.
>
> That would be one take.

Tom:

Sometimes they can smile just a little too much if you know what I mean.

skip

I am also in NE Ohio. When riding my BikeE through the city alot of the inner city youths are very
interested in the bike. I believe they think it is a custom lowrider. I get daily "Is it custom?"
They seem very disappointed when I tell them I bought it from a store.

BentJay, where in NE Ohio are you located? I live in Shaker Heights and often ride in the east
Cleveland suburbs and the Chagrin Valley. Craig

news:<[email protected]>...