Fun on three wheels

wafflycat

Guest
I used my 'bent trike today, to cycle into town to pick up the local rag and
post a few letters.

Great fun. Loads of 'WTF?' moments by drivers who all proceeded to give me
far more room on the road than when I'm on my 'normal' bike. Loads of little
kids stopping to look, bottom jaws dropping and then great big grins and
loads of waves from them. Don't call Norbert my 'smilemobile' for nothing.
:)

The best bit was when I pulled in at the side of the road near some
sheffield stands in order to park up & lock the Trice. I stop at the side of
the road, unclip, and proceed to get up.

Man walking along pavement says "Are you okay?"
Me: "Yes, thanks."
Man: "Would you like a hand?"
Me: "That's kind, but I'm okay."
Man: It's one of those handcycles, then?
Me: No.
Man: Where's it's engine then?
Me: points to legs and says "Here."
Man: Thwaps himself on the head and says, "Of course! I thought you were
disabled and couldn't walk!"

During the above conversation, I'd unclipped from the Trice, stood up,
walked to back of Trice, picked up the frame at the rear and walked it to
the sheffield stand. During which time said man hadn't clicked that I was
walking....

wafflycat wrote:
> I used my 'bent trike today, to cycle into town to pick up the local rag and
> post a few letters.
>
> Great fun. Loads of 'WTF?' moments by drivers who all proceeded to give me
> far more room on the road than when I'm on my 'normal' bike. Loads of little
> kids stopping to look, bottom jaws dropping and then great big grins and
> loads of waves from them. Don't call Norbert my 'smilemobile' for nothing.
> :)
>
> The best bit was when I pulled in at the side of the road near some
> sheffield stands in order to park up & lock the Trice. I stop at the side of
> the road, unclip, and proceed to get up.
>
> Man walking along pavement says "Are you okay?"
> Me: "Yes, thanks."
> Man: "Would you like a hand?"
> Me: "That's kind, but I'm okay."
> Man: It's one of those handcycles, then?
> Me: No.
> Man: Where's it's engine then?
> Me: points to legs and says "Here."
> Man: Thwaps himself on the head and says, "Of course! I thought you were
> disabled and couldn't walk!"
>
> During the above conversation, I'd unclipped from the Trice, stood up,
> walked to back of Trice, picked up the frame at the rear and walked it to
> the sheffield stand. During which time said man hadn't clicked that I was
> walking....

It's a miracle!

Chatted up in car park 'cos your a girl on a bike, sorry trike. Priceless!

I meant you're not your. Fingers not working correctly.

wafflycat wrote:

> Man walking along pavement says "Are you okay?"
> Me: "Yes, thanks."
> Man: "Would you like a hand?"
> Me: "That's kind, but I'm okay."

Have you a recommended technique for standing from and sitting in the
bent? I'm worried this may be the hardest part for me. I sat down in a
Trice at Bikefix in London but it took me about 10 minutes and about as
long to get up again! At West Country Recumbents I was helped by Carol,
who also seemed to have a technique of grabbing the pedals with hands to
brace oneself when getting up. I expect it's a yoga one eventually gets
the hang of, but any tips would be appreciated.

EFR
Ile de France

"Artemisia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> wafflycat wrote:
>
>> Man walking along pavement says "Are you okay?"
>> Me: "Yes, thanks."
>> Man: "Would you like a hand?"
>> Me: "That's kind, but I'm okay."

> Have you a recommended technique for standing from and sitting in the
> bent? I'm worried this may be the hardest part for me. I sat down in a
> Trice at Bikefix in London but it took me about 10 minutes and about as
> long to get up again! At West Country Recumbents I was helped by Carol,
> who also seemed to have a technique of grabbing the pedals with hands to
> brace oneself when getting up. I expect it's a yoga one eventually gets
> the hang of, but any tips would be appreciated.
>
> EFR
> Ile de France

Sorry, no special way. My Trice has a parking brake on each brake, so if I
need to have the Trice *steady* in order to get in or out, I just make sure
the parking brakes are on. That way it can't roll away as I lower my rear
end down on to the seat, or when I get up out of the seat.

I just have a foot eaither side of the front boom and sit down on the seat -
clip into pedals, take off parking brakes & I'm off. When I stop, I put
parking brake on, unclip feet, put feet on the ground and stand up.

Artemisia wrote:

> Have you a recommended technique for standing from and sitting in the
> bent? I'm worried this may be the hardest part for me. I sat down in a
> Trice at Bikefix in London but it took me about 10 minutes and about as
> long to get up again! At West Country Recumbents I was helped by Carol,
> who also seemed to have a technique of grabbing the pedals with hands to
> brace oneself when getting up. I expect it's a yoga one eventually gets
> the hang of, but any tips would be appreciated.

get/use a parking brake so the vehicle doesn't move about
take a few minutes to get your bloodpressure up after heavy exertion
before standing up
<obvious>A recumbent with a higher seat is easier to get out of than the
lowest lowracer </obvious>

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

wafflycat wrote:

> I just have a foot eaither side of the front boom and sit down on the
> seat - clip into pedals, take off parking brakes & I'm off. When I stop,
> I put parking brake on, unclip feet, put feet on the ground and stand up.

What do you do with your hands? Do you hold on to anything?

EFR
Ile de France

"Artemisia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> wafflycat wrote:
>
>> I just have a foot eaither side of the front boom and sit down on the
>> seat - clip into pedals, take off parking brakes & I'm off. When I stop,
>> I put parking brake on, unclip feet, put feet on the ground and stand up.

> What do you do with your hands? Do you hold on to anything?
>
> EFR
> Ile de France

I don't hold on to anything.

wafflycat wrote:
> I used my 'bent trike today, to cycle into town to pick up the local rag
> and post a few letters.
>
> Great fun. Loads of 'WTF?' moments by drivers who all proceeded to give
> me far more room on the road than when I'm on my 'normal' bike. Loads of
> little kids stopping to look, bottom jaws dropping and then great big
> grins and loads of waves from them. Don't call Norbert my 'smilemobile'
> for nothing. :)
>
> The best bit was when I pulled in at the side of the road near some
> sheffield stands in order to park up & lock the Trice. I stop at the
> side of the road, unclip, and proceed to get up.
>
> Man walking along pavement says "Are you okay?"
> Me: "Yes, thanks."
> Man: "Would you like a hand?"
> Me: "That's kind, but I'm okay."
> Man: It's one of those handcycles, then?
> Me: No.
> Man: Where's it's engine then?
> Me: points to legs and says "Here."
> Man: Thwaps himself on the head and says, "Of course! I thought you were
> disabled and couldn't walk!"
>
> During the above conversation, I'd unclipped from the Trice, stood up,
> walked to back of Trice, picked up the frame at the rear and walked it
> to the sheffield stand. During which time said man hadn't clicked that I
> was walking....

let's hope he doesn't drive, if he missed something that obvious ! !

wafflycat wrote:

> "Artemisia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> wafflycat wrote:
>>
>>> I just have a foot eaither side of the front boom and sit down on the
>>> seat - clip into pedals, take off parking brakes & I'm off. When I
>>> stop, I put parking brake on, unclip feet, put feet on the ground and
>>> stand up.

>> What do you do with your hands? Do you hold on to anything?
>>
>> EFR
>> Ile de France

> I don't hold on to anything.

probably good balance from years of ballet

> probably good balance from years of ballet

Well if I had done ballet, that might be true.

But I did do Scottish highland dancing, so that's probably helped :)

Mind you, when I was pregnant with Nathan I went to National Childbirth
Trust classes and that involved a lot of squatting, so that probably helped
too...

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I used my 'bent trike today, to cycle into town to pick up the local rag
>and post a few letters.
>
> Great fun. Loads of 'WTF?' moments by drivers who all proceeded to give me
> far more room on the road than when I'm on my 'normal' bike. Loads of
> little kids stopping to look, bottom jaws dropping and then great big
> grins and loads of waves from them. Don't call Norbert my 'smilemobile'
> for nothing. :)
>
> The best bit was when I pulled in at the side of the road near some
> sheffield stands in order to park up & lock the Trice. I stop at the side
> of the road, unclip, and proceed to get up.
>
> Man walking along pavement says "Are you okay?"
> Me: "Yes, thanks."
> Man: "Would you like a hand?"
> Me: "That's kind, but I'm okay."
> Man: It's one of those handcycles, then?
> Me: No.
> Man: Where's it's engine then?
> Me: points to legs and says "Here."
> Man: Thwaps himself on the head and says, "Of course! I thought you were
> disabled and couldn't walk!"

I am most impressed that the pedestrian knew what a handcycle is, as that is
my recreational form of transport (when it's not broken).

--
OJ
http://www.oliverjones.eclipse.co.uk/

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.
Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)

> I am most impressed that the pedestrian knew what a handcycle is, as that
> is my recreational form of transport (when it's not broken).
>
> --
> OJ
> http://www.oliverjones.eclipse.co.uk/

Do you race it? Came across some racing handcyclists last year. Now that is
well 'ard!

wafflycat wrote:

>> probably good balance from years of ballet
>>

> Well if I had done ballet, that might be true.
>
> But I did do Scottish highland dancing, so that's probably helped :)
>
> Mind you, when I was pregnant with Nathan I went to National Childbirth
> Trust classes and that involved a lot of squatting, so that probably
> helped too...

Well, I do Breton dancing on Saturdays. It's rather more geriatric than
Scottish Highland, but still a Celtic cousin.

OTOH I do not ever plan to be pregnant with Nathan.

EFR
Ile de France

wafflycat wrote:

> I don't hold on to anything.

Greenspeed models come with an optional extra, "grab-handles" attached
to the body of the trike to make sitting and standing easier.
Unfortunately this intelligent design feature is not available on other
makes.

I envy your balance and coordination. I can't squat at all.

EFR
Ile de France

On Nov 1, 4:14 pm, Artemisia <[email protected]> wrote:
> Have you a recommended technique for standing from and sitting in the
> bent? I'm worried this may be the hardest part for me. I sat down in a
> Trice at Bikefix in London but it took me about 10 minutes and about as
> long to get up again! At West Country Recumbents I was helped by Carol,
> who also seemed to have a technique of grabbing the pedals with hands to
> brace oneself when getting up.

Ever heard of an 'ab curl'? (AKA sit-up.) Ever done one? Now's the
time to start :)
Grabbing hold of the pedals (providing you can reach them) reduces the
standing up effort somewhat.
Alternatively, you now have a potentially novel (?) chat-up line :~

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> I am most impressed that the pedestrian knew what a handcycle is, as that
>> is my recreational form of transport (when it's not broken).
>>
>> --
>> OJ
>> http://www.oliverjones.eclipse.co.uk/
>>

> Do you race it? Came across some racing handcyclists last year. Now that
> is well 'ard!

I have been known to crank in anger and done a few races with the BHPC chaps
at Hillingdon and (dearly departed) Eastway. I'm not as good as I ought as
I'm carting around 100kg on my arms.

--
OJ
http://www.oliverjones.eclipse.co.uk/

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.
Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)

"Guy Ballantine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>

>>> I am most impressed that the pedestrian knew what a handcycle is, as
>>> that is my recreational form of transport (when it's not broken).
>>>
>>> --
>>> OJ
>>> http://www.oliverjones.eclipse.co.uk/
>>>

>> Do you race it? Came across some racing handcyclists last year. Now that
>> is well 'ard!

> I have been known to crank in anger and done a few races with the BHPC
> chaps at Hillingdon and (dearly departed) Eastway. I'm not as good as I
> ought as I'm carting around 100kg on my arms.

Ever thought of time trialling it? The Rudy Project National Series has a
category for disabled riders and theere's riders with various disabilites
get involved. It's fun and friendly