Future Guernsey visit.

Barry steventon

Guest
Hi collective

Will be spending a couple of (lazy) days in(on) Guernsey, beginning of next
week. Anybody got a recommended "must do" walk or any advise of where to
head for when we get there?

Thanks in advance
Barry

Bitstring <[email protected]>, from the wonderful person
Barry steventon <[email protected]> said
>Hi collective
>
>Will be spending a couple of (lazy) days in(on) Guernsey, beginning of next
>week. Anybody got a recommended "must do" walk or any advise of where to
>head for when we get there?

Haven't been there for many years, but there used to be a
coastal path around the SW/South of the Island that was worth a walk.
The North end was mostly a desert of flat, sandy, areas liberally
sprinkled with caravan sites and suchlike. It depends what you want I
guess. And what the tide is doing - there were some nice rock pools etc.
over on, iirc, the West coast, but not when the tide is in. Be aware
that walking on many of the roads is suicide in the tourist season, and
there didn't seem to be any alternatives in many places.

If you're there long enough, hopping a boat to Herm or Sark can be
amusing (just don't miss the boat back). No cars on either of those, so
walk where you like.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
SC recommends the use of Firefox; Get smart, or get assimilated.

Hi,
If you want a map get the "Not for Motorists Map" from the tourist office on
the front. Costs about £1.50 and shows most paths (and roads) but is quite
clear - better than the standard issue Perry's map. It was produced for the
pedestrian and horse riders of the island. The South of the island has good
cliff walks, the West is flatter and has many beaches. We have found the
local side roads ideal for walking off season. The Rouettes Tranquilles (of
which there are many) have priority for pedestrians and horses and are
limited to 15 mph!! Local busses are cheap (50p almost anywhere or cheaper
if you buy a travel card from the kiosk at the bus terminal.
Probably my favourite walk would be from Petit Bot Bay (we start from Le
Bourg) along the South West cliff path to Fort Grey. This gives cliffs,
bays, beaches and old German fortifications, with a reasonable bus
connection.
Joe

"Barry steventon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi collective
>
> Will be spending a couple of (lazy) days in(on) Guernsey, beginning of
> next week. Anybody got a recommended "must do" walk or any advise of where
> to head for when we get there?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Barry

Here are a few pictures of the South walk as below
http://www.fhcs.btinternet.co.uk/guernsey/guernsey.htm Only a quick and
dirty page.
Joe

"Tigga" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
> If you want a map get the "Not for Motorists Map" from the tourist office
> on the front. Costs about £1.50 and shows most paths (and roads) but is
> quite clear - better than the standard issue Perry's map. It was produced
> for the pedestrian and horse riders of the island. The South of the
> island has good cliff walks, the West is flatter and has many beaches. We
> have found the local side roads ideal for walking off season. The Rouettes
> Tranquilles (of which there are many) have priority for pedestrians and
> horses and are limited to 15 mph!! Local busses are cheap (50p almost
> anywhere or cheaper if you buy a travel card from the kiosk at the bus
> terminal.
> Probably my favourite walk would be from Petit Bot Bay (we start from Le
> Bourg) along the South West cliff path to Fort Grey. This gives cliffs,
> bays, beaches and old German fortifications, with a reasonable bus
> connection.
> Joe
>

> "Barry steventon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Hi collective
>>
>> Will be spending a couple of (lazy) days in(on) Guernsey, beginning of
>> next week. Anybody got a recommended "must do" walk or any advise of
>> where to head for when we get there?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Barry

"Barry steventon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi collective
>
> Will be spending a couple of (lazy) days in(on) Guernsey, beginning of next
> week. Anybody got a recommended "must do" walk or any advise of where to
> head for when we get there?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Barry

Sorry, this is probably a bit too late, but my internet's been down...
it might help someone else though!

I'd agree that Sark and especially Herm are worthy trips, but you can
also visit the island of Lihou - accessible by a causeway from the
mainland which is covered at high tide (time your visit carefully).

The one unmissable sight on Guernsey is the Little Chapel, unique in
being decorated inside & out with broken crockery! I hope you managed
to catch it, Barry!

Cheers

Anth

Please link to: http://www.wheresthepath.com/index.htm