Future Guernsey visit.

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Barry steventon, Apr 12, 2005.

  1. Hi collective

    Will be spending a couple of (lazy) days in(on) Guernsey, beginning of next
    week. Anybody got a recommended "must do" walk or any advise of where to
    head for when we get there?

    Thanks in advance
    Barry

    Tags:

  2. Bitstring <[email protected]>, from the wonderful person
    Barry steventon <[email protected]> said
    >Hi collective
    >
    >Will be spending a couple of (lazy) days in(on) Guernsey, beginning of next
    >week. Anybody got a recommended "must do" walk or any advise of where to
    >head for when we get there?

    Haven't been there for many years, but there used to be a
    coastal path around the SW/South of the Island that was worth a walk.
    The North end was mostly a desert of flat, sandy, areas liberally
    sprinkled with caravan sites and suchlike. It depends what you want I
    guess. And what the tide is doing - there were some nice rock pools etc.
    over on, iirc, the West coast, but not when the tide is in. Be aware
    that walking on many of the roads is suicide in the tourist season, and
    there didn't seem to be any alternatives in many places.

    If you're there long enough, hopping a boat to Herm or Sark can be
    amusing (just don't miss the boat back). No cars on either of those, so
    walk where you like.

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
    SC recommends the use of Firefox; Get smart, or get assimilated.

  3. Tigga

    Tigga Guest

    Hi,
    If you want a map get the "Not for Motorists Map" from the tourist office on
    the front. Costs about £1.50 and shows most paths (and roads) but is quite
    clear - better than the standard issue Perry's map. It was produced for the
    pedestrian and horse riders of the island. The South of the island has good
    cliff walks, the West is flatter and has many beaches. We have found the
    local side roads ideal for walking off season. The Rouettes Tranquilles (of
    which there are many) have priority for pedestrians and horses and are
    limited to 15 mph!! Local busses are cheap (50p almost anywhere or cheaper
    if you buy a travel card from the kiosk at the bus terminal.
    Probably my favourite walk would be from Petit Bot Bay (we start from Le
    Bourg) along the South West cliff path to Fort Grey. This gives cliffs,
    bays, beaches and old German fortifications, with a reasonable bus
    connection.
    Joe

    "Barry steventon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi collective
    >
    > Will be spending a couple of (lazy) days in(on) Guernsey, beginning of
    > next week. Anybody got a recommended "must do" walk or any advise of where
    > to head for when we get there?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Barry

  4. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Here are a few pictures of the South walk as below
    http://www.fhcs.btinternet.co.uk/guernsey/guernsey.htm Only a quick and
    dirty page.
    Joe

    "Tigga" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi,
    > If you want a map get the "Not for Motorists Map" from the tourist office
    > on the front. Costs about £1.50 and shows most paths (and roads) but is
    > quite clear - better than the standard issue Perry's map. It was produced
    > for the pedestrian and horse riders of the island. The South of the
    > island has good cliff walks, the West is flatter and has many beaches. We
    > have found the local side roads ideal for walking off season. The Rouettes
    > Tranquilles (of which there are many) have priority for pedestrians and
    > horses and are limited to 15 mph!! Local busses are cheap (50p almost
    > anywhere or cheaper if you buy a travel card from the kiosk at the bus
    > terminal.
    > Probably my favourite walk would be from Petit Bot Bay (we start from Le
    > Bourg) along the South West cliff path to Fort Grey. This gives cliffs,
    > bays, beaches and old German fortifications, with a reasonable bus
    > connection.
    > Joe
    >

    > "Barry steventon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Hi collective
    >>
    >> Will be spending a couple of (lazy) days in(on) Guernsey, beginning of
    >> next week. Anybody got a recommended "must do" walk or any advise of
    >> where to head for when we get there?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >> Barry

  5. Anth

    Anth Guest

    "Barry steventon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi collective
    >
    > Will be spending a couple of (lazy) days in(on) Guernsey, beginning of next
    > week. Anybody got a recommended "must do" walk or any advise of where to
    > head for when we get there?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Barry

    Sorry, this is probably a bit too late, but my internet's been down...
    it might help someone else though!

    I'd agree that Sark and especially Herm are worthy trips, but you can
    also visit the island of Lihou - accessible by a causeway from the
    mainland which is covered at high tide (time your visit carefully).

    The one unmissable sight on Guernsey is the Little Chapel, unique in
    being decorated inside & out with broken crockery! I hope you managed
    to catch it, Barry!

    Cheers

    Anth

    Please link to: http://www.wheresthepath.com/index.htm