FWD rear-steer homebuilt

I kept looking at this delta trying to figure it out and then it donned on me...this is a kiddie MTB
frame facing backwards. The front fork of the MTB was welded to the rear wheel axle. Rear wheel
steering has always been so fascinating to many people (self included), I wonder if it will ever
catch on in a commercial fashion...probably not.

Joshua
*****
"GreyFx2" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3650170645&category=2904

> Bizarre! If I were near Sarasota, I'd HAVE to test ride this puppy!

>GreyFx2 wrote:
>

>http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3650170645&categor
y=2904

>> Bizarre! If I were near Sarasota, I'd HAVE to test ride this puppy!
>Imagine high-speed downhill cornering on this trike. Then imagine your beneficiaries spending the
>life insurance money from your policy.
>
>Tom Sherman – Close to 41½ N, 90½ W

My thoughts exactly .... looks like the worst possible (albeit interestingly creative(?)) handling
trike .... a delta that looks like a tadpole with back-facing seat. I just think trying to ride this
would be a real hoot and an experience that likely won't come this way too often.

The last I looked it was still available with an opening bid of $300 ;)

Hey, maybe I'll mortgage the house to pay for some liabililty insurance, then charge $50 a whack for
people to TRY to ride this on a steep downhill ..... after all there are people out there paying $$
to bungee jump, ride mechanical bulls, etc.

"EVSolutions" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I kept looking at this delta trying to figure it out and then it donned on me...this is a kiddie
> MTB frame facing backwards. The front fork of the
MTB
> was welded to the rear wheel axle. Rear wheel steering has always been so fascinating to many
> people (self included), I wonder if it will ever catch on in a commercial fashion...probably not.

This one looks like it is by the same guy who made those "Filusland" 'bents from cheap MTB frames.
He also had a lean-steer trike once and a couple other wierd trike experiments.

Originally posted by John Riley
"EVSolutions" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... [...] Rear wheel steering has always been so
> fascinating to many people (self included), I wonder if it will ever catch on in a commercial
> fashion...probably not.

I don't know if you call this "catching on" but here is a production FWD/RWS trike:

http://www.sidewindercycle.com/

The sidewinder is/was a tadpole. (Are they still in business?).

The displayed trike is a delta.
Steering is more similar to the JTB raven, baccarra or Trailmae funcycle/banna peel.
Big differences include that his steering axis is so close to verticle, you wouldn't have much "lean steer" when you pivot the back frame, and that high cg would limit cornering speed.

Hi John

Have you heard that Joel of the Bicycle (Recumbent) Spokesman in Richmond Hill is closing down at
the end of this month. It would be nice if he opens a new Bent store a bit closer to civilization.
Always seemed odd to locate a recumbent store where you have to pedal for 20 miles ALL uphill.

On the Sidewinder RWS/FWD..I have seen these in ads for a few years and kept thinking Kids
trike...but it would be a fun trike to try out (not sure I'd risk a 90 degree turn at 30 mph).

Joshua
*****

Joshua
*****
"john riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "EVSolutions" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [...] Rear wheel steering has always been so
> > fascinating to many people (self included), I wonder if it will ever
catch
> > on in a commercial fashion...probably not.
>
> I don't know if you call this "catching on" but here is a production
FWD/RWS trike:

> http://www.sidewindercycle.com/

"EVSolutions" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi John
>
> Always seemed odd to locate a recumbent store where you have to pedal for
20 miles ALL uphill.

Sure a great way to avoid complaints ;-)

> On the Sidewinder RWS/FWD..I have seen these in ads for a few years and
kept
> thinking Kids trike...but it would be a fun trike to try out (not sure I'd risk a 90 degree turn
> at 30 mph).

It's all about radius.

Torben