Road Cycling · Public discussion

Gadget review: ViewPoint Gen3 Headlight

Started by Luigi de Guzman · · Last activity · 13 posts · 524 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
3 November 2005
Last activity
4 November 2005
Original author
Luigi de Guzman
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
524
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Commuting by bicycle at this time of the year means riding in the dark. My
    primary lighting until how has been a PlanetBike DualSpot which is good
    enough as a "be seen" light in its flashing mode. Its steady modes, I've
    found, however, are not great for lighting up the road ahead.

    Lately, however, the roads have been torn up by lots of construction, and
    it's become more important for me to ride carefully, lest I drop a wheel
    somewhere nasty, and crash during the evening rush.

    It was time to get a new light. Most battery-lighting solutions are either
    feeble but compact and affordable (like my DualSpot) or as dazzlingly
    bright as they are stupendously expensive.

    Into this comes the ViewPoint Gen3 headlight, which I picked up from my
    local shop--which happens to be a Performance shop, about which more some
    other time.

    For the princely sum of 39 U.S. dollars, here was a LED headlight claiming
    to be brighter than a 10-watt halogen lamp and run 9 hours on a set 4 AA
    batteries. The bulb wouldn't ever need replacing, either, being a LED. I
    was intrigued, and picked one up.

    The lamp housing is about the size of a typical single-halogen headlamp,
    and it sits over the flat battery pack which holds 4 AA batteries (not
    included, of course). Bizarrely, there is a wire leading from the battery
    pack which must be plugged into the appropriate place on the lamp. I
    mention this because the battery pack and the lamp are actually
    inseperable, so I can't work out why on earth one would ever need to
    disconnect the power cord.

    Technically, the mounting bracket and the lamp are two pieces, but, since
    the bracket mounts with a quick cam similar to my DualSpot's, it is
    possible to keep the unit together. The quick cam clamps securely to my
    Jamis Aurora's drop bars, although I had to loosen it quite a bit. I
    loosened it too much and ended up accidentally taking the cam clean off.
    the threads are very fine, and I was frantically trying to get things back
    together. Let that be a less to you, kiddies--never test gear for the
    first time in a dark Metro parking lot!

    On the road, with the lamp on at its brightest setting, I was actually
    able to spot irregularities in the pavement ahead quite well. I've never
    ridden with a 10-watt halogen, but I can say for certain that the LED in
    this thing was at least an order of magnitude brighter than my previous
    light. While it threw a rather diffuse beam, the difference I could
    immediately notice was that I could see *and* be seen. Quite
    confidence-inspiring in early-evening, crowded suburban traffic.

    In fact, the light it threw out reminded me of the last decent set of
    lights I had on a bike--a horrid Union plastic bottle generator dynamo
    lightset. My new light actually threw off as much light as that whirring
    contraption did which has immediately set me to thinking about getting a
    dynamo and a LED headlamp sometime in the future. Why not get one now, you
    ask? Because I needed a light *now* for commuting, and no shops in my area
    stock dynamos, that's why.

    Overall: Money well-spent. This "high-power emitter" stuff is not a
    gimmick, at least not to me.

    -Luigi

  2. --
    mark
    "Luigi de Guzman" wrotet...

    Quoted message said:

    In fact, the light it threw out reminded me of the last decent set of
    lights I had on a bike--a horrid Union plastic bottle generator dynamo
    lightset. My new light actually threw off as much light as that whirring
    contraption did which has immediately set me to thinking about getting a
    dynamo and a LED headlamp sometime in the future. Why not get one now, you
    ask? Because I needed a light *now* for commuting, and no shops in my area
    stock dynamos, that's why.

    Overall: Money well-spent. This "high-power emitter" stuff is not a
    gimmick, at least not to me.

    -Luigi

    www.peterwhitecycles.com and http://sheldonbrown/harris/ both stock all the
    dynamos (hub and otherwise) you could want, along with a full range of
    headlights and taillights. The only LED headlight I've seen that will work
    with a dynamo is a rather expensive ($120) Busch & Muller, high price is
    apparently due to the rectifier circuitry needed to work with a dynamo. The
    halogen bulb B & M Lumotecs work extremely well, and you can keep the
    Viewpoint Gen3 as a backup.
    --
    mark

  3. Luigi de Guzman said:


    For the princely sum of 39 U.S. dollars, here was a LED headlight claiming
    to be brighter than a 10-watt halogen lamp and run 9 hours on a set 4 AA
    batteries. The bulb wouldn't ever need replacing, either, being a LED. I
    was intrigued, and picked one up.

    Quoted message said:


    Overall: Money well-spent. This "high-power emitter" stuff is not a
    gimmick, at least not to me.

    That light looks like a re-branded version of the NiteHawk Emitter. It's
    an OK light, pretty comparable to a good 2.5W halogen light, like the
    Cateye MicroII. The battery life seems much better (I've had one for a
    year) than the halogens, with the advantage that, as the batteries run
    down, the light stays white, just gets gradually dimmer, so the usable
    battery life is excellent. The Cateye has been selling for as little as
    $10 though.

  4. Peter Cole said:
    Luigi de Guzman said:


    "On the road, with the lamp on at its brightest setting, I was actually
    able to spot irregularities in the pavement ahead quite well. I've never
    ridden with a 10-watt halogen, but I can say for certain that the LED in
    this thing was at least an order of magnitude brighter than my previous
    light. While it threw a rather diffuse beam, the difference I could
    immediately notice was that I could see *and* be seen."

    That light looks like a re-branded version of the NiteHawk Emitter. It's
    an OK light, pretty comparable to a good 2.5W halogen light, like the
    Cateye MicroII. The battery life seems much better (I've had one for a
    year) than the halogens, with the advantage that, as the batteries run
    down, the light stays white, just gets gradually dimmer, so the usable
    battery life is excellent. The Cateye has been selling for as little as
    $10 though.

    I agree with perhaps ten thousand other cyclists that the Cateye Micro
    II is a very good little light, perhaps better than all of its
    flashlight-battery halogen competitors. In my experience, it's fine
    for at least 15 mph riding. Part of the reason is the excellent
    optics. The beam is well controlled, putting the light where it's
    needed.

    Being the resident optics freak, I wonder: Can the LED from the
    Specialized / NiteHawk be fitted into the reflector head of the Cateye
    - or, for that matter, the head of a generator headlight? If such a
    scheme worked, it would improve the "diffuse beam" that I see with
    every LED light I've inspected.

    Recently, Andreas Ohler (IIRC) pointed to a German website, in which a
    guy detailed how he fitted a couple 3 Watt super-LEDs into a generator
    headlight shell. The operation was greatly complicated by the need for
    a large heat sink. Is there a big heat sink or electronic package that
    must sit attached to the Nite Hawk LED?

    - Frank Krygowski

  5. Luigi de Guzman said:

    Overall: Money well-spent. This "high-power emitter" stuff is not a
    gimmick, at least not to me.

    I've had one of these for a year or so (and it's been much discussed in
    the group, usually referred to as the "Emitter," which is what
    NiteHawk, the manufacturer, calls it).

    I use it as an ancillary/backup. It's not bright enough by itself for
    my commute, which takes me through some dark areas, although it's much
    better than nothing. I also have a Light & Motion Vega, which is a
    3-watt Luxeon LED (which L&M pushes to about 3.8); the Emitter is a
    1-watt Luxeon. The Emitter is vastly less bright than the Vega, and the
    Vega in turn is about on par with a 12-watt halogen I compared it with.

    I use the Vega and the Emitter together. The Emitter lights the
    pavement directly in front of me; aimed up, the Vega provides enough
    brightness to see through turns and over to the sides. I find all this
    a worthwhile upgrade from bottle-battery lights with their extra weight
    and loss of a bottle cage.

    However, I've been recommending the Emitter heavily to co-workers who
    are suddenly bike commuting in the face of Philadelphia's transit
    strike. It's a lot of light for the money, it's easy to manage, and
    within the city it's more than sufficient.

    RichC

  6. frkrygow said:

    Recently, Andreas Ohler (IIRC) pointed to a German website, in which a
    guy detailed how he fitted a couple 3 Watt super-LEDs into a generator
    headlight shell. The operation was greatly complicated by the need for
    a large heat sink. Is there a big heat sink or electronic package that
    must sit attached to the Nite Hawk LED?

    - Frank Krygowski

    It doesn't put out much heat, at least not that I can tell. In fact, the
    most remarkable thing about it is how cool it runs.

    It actually puts out enough light to please me...enough to make me wish I
    had a dynamo version mounted on my fork crown. Time to start saving my
    pennies for a call to Mr. P. White...

    -Luigi

  7. Luigi de Guzman said:

    <snip>. I
    mention this because the battery pack and the lamp are actually
    inseperable, so I can't work out why on earth one would ever need to
    disconnect the power cord.

    They do it for production reasons. Nighthawk sells the same headlamp
    with a different battery pack for a camping-style headlamp. They only
    have to make the cord longer and change the mounting for the battery pack.

    Quoted message said:

    <snip>

    I agree this light is sufficiently bright for city riding. Twice I've
    been flashed by cars who see to think I have my brights on. That's how I
    know it's misadjusted 🙂.

    On a dark path with no moonlight I think two of these lights would be
    sufficient. But then if my commute was that dark, I'd probably be
    investing in an HID lamp.

    -C

  8. Collin O'Neill said:

    I agree this light is sufficiently bright for city riding. Twice I've
    been flashed by cars who see to think I have my brights on. That's how I
    know it's misadjusted 🙂.

    Sounds like lumens are being wasted by bad optics.

    Quoted message said:

    On a dark path with no moonlight I think two of these lights would be
    sufficient. But then if my commute was that dark, I'd probably be
    investing in an HID lamp.

    I find a dark path with no moonlight to be no particular problem. My
    eyes adapt to the darkness, and my 3 watt generator set lets me see
    well.

    - Frank Krygowski

  9. rdclark <[email hidden]> wrote:
    :> Luigi de Guzman wrote:
    :>
    :>> Overall: Money well-spent. This "high-power emitter" stuff is not a
    :>> gimmick, at least not to me.
    :>
    :> I've had one of these for a year or so (and it's been much discussed
    :> in the group, usually referred to as the "Emitter," which is what
    :> NiteHawk, the manufacturer, calls it).
    :>
    :> I use it as an ancillary/backup. It's not bright enough by itself for
    :> my commute, which takes me through some dark areas, although it's
    :> much better than nothing. I also have a Light & Motion Vega, which
    :> is a 3-watt Luxeon LED (which L&M pushes to about 3.8); the Emitter
    :> is a 1-watt Luxeon. The Emitter is vastly less bright than the Vega,
    :> and the Vega in turn is about on par with a 12-watt halogen I
    :> compared it with.

    When you say the Emitter is not bright enough for dark areas, I think
    perhaps you mean that the pattern of light it spits out doesn't illuminate
    enough of the road ahead to make you feel confident of what's in front of
    you. I say that because I think the Emitter is plenty bright (especially on
    a dark night) but the beam isn't wide enough so you can't really see much
    that isn't directly in front of you. That's why I now have two of them,
    hoping to put on on either side of the handlebar.

    Of course, I realize that I could be wrong as I really don't have much to
    compare to as you do...these lights are pretty pricey....so it's hard to
    gather first-hand data and gleaming what someone else means isn't as easy as
    one would hope, either. For example, I'd say the Emitter's light is bright
    white, why I've heard others say it is bluer than some other lights.

    Figuring this light thing out is a pain in the butt, if you ask me. And
    expensive, too.

    :>
    :> I use the Vega and the Emitter together. The Emitter lights the
    :> pavement directly in front of me; aimed up, the Vega provides enough
    :> brightness to see through turns and over to the sides. I find all
    :> this a worthwhile upgrade from bottle-battery lights with their
    :> extra weight and loss of a bottle cage.
    :>
    :> However, I've been recommending the Emitter heavily to co-workers who
    :> are suddenly bike commuting in the face of Philadelphia's transit
    :> strike. It's a lot of light for the money, it's easy to manage, and
    :> within the city it's more than sufficient.
    :>
    :> RichC

  10. "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    When you say the Emitter is not bright enough for dark areas, I think
    perhaps you mean that the pattern of light it spits out doesn't illuminate
    enough of the road ahead to make you feel confident of what's in front of
    you. I say that because I think the Emitter is plenty bright (especially
    on a dark night) but the beam isn't wide enough so you can't really see
    much that isn't directly in front of you. That's why I now have two of
    them, hoping to put on on either side of the handlebar.

    Well, if you aim it right into your eye, it's plenty bright.

    If you aim it at the point in the road by which you'd be able to stop going
    18mph, it's not very bright.

    Quoted message said:

    Of course, I realize that I could be wrong as I really don't have much to
    compare to as you do...these lights are pretty pricey....so it's hard to
    gather first-hand data and gleaming what someone else means isn't as easy
    as one would hope, either. For example, I'd say the Emitter's light is
    bright white, why I've heard others say it is bluer than some other
    lights.

    That was me, and I have an emitter and a Vega right next to each other. The
    Emitter is bluer.

    Quoted message said:


    Figuring this light thing out is a pain in the butt, if you ask me. And
    expensive, too.

    Buy from a place that will give you no-questions-asked refunds. This
    includes any of the big mail-order places.

    RichC

  11. Roger Zoul said:

    Figuring this light thing out is a pain in the butt, if you ask me. And
    expensive, too.

    I agree.

    Manufacturers state wattage (electrical power in) rather than lumens
    (total light output from filament, LED, or whatever).

    Optics vary from excellent to dismal, with most wasting considerable
    lumens.

    Supposedly "unbiased" websites pretend changing reflectors somehow
    changes total lumen output from a filament.

    Lights barely more sophisticated than a cheap flashlight somehow cost
    many dozens of dollars.

    We're left squinting at web photos of headlight beams, wondering
    whether camera settings can be assumed to be realistic, and wondering
    how much light we really need.

    IIRC, some European countries have detail requirements for illumination
    from bike headlights - that is, specifying how bright a beam must be on
    a given surface in a given direction. Is this true? If so, anyone
    know how the specifications are written?

    (Andreas?)

    - Frank Krygowski

  12. Quoted message said:

    Supposedly "unbiased" websites pretend changing reflectors somehow
    changes total lumen output from a filament.

    Lumens are unchanged but lux and candelas can be increased with a
    tighter beam using reflectors and optics. The websites are most likely
    exhibiting confusion about a confusing subject.

    Quoted message said:

    Lights barely more sophisticated than a cheap flashlight somehow cost
    many dozens of dollars.

    While some LED lights are very simple affairs equivalent to a basic
    flashlight, others have electronics that provide a regulated current
    source to the LEDs. This maintains the brightness of the light over a
    longer time and incurs additional (worthwhile) cost. You can usually
    identify these as the ones with multiple brightness settings or
    low-power "survival" modes.

    Note that some rechargable halogen systems also have different
    brightness settings. It is generally not recommended to run halogen
    lights at less than their rated power since this dramatically reduces
    their life. When underpowered, the filaments don't get hot enough to
    maintain the halogen cycle and they erode at an accelerated rate. These
    systems may still be acceptable to a bicyclist who only puts in a few
    dozen to hundreds of hours on their lights per year.

  13. Collin O'Neill said:
    Luigi de Guzman said:

    <snip>. I
    mention this because the battery pack and the lamp are actually
    inseperable, so I can't work out why on earth one would ever need to
    disconnect the power cord.

    They do it for production reasons. Nighthawk sells the same headlamp
    with a different battery pack for a camping-style headlamp. They only
    have to make the cord longer and change the mounting for the battery pack.

    Quoted message said:

    <snip>

    I agree this light is sufficiently bright for city riding. Twice I've
    been flashed by cars who see to think I have my brights on. That's how I
    know it's misadjusted 🙂.

    Does anybody know HOW a bike light should be adjusted? For cars there
    are headlight targetting specifications or targets.... What is the
    specification for a bike front light????

    W

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.