General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Garmin topo UK v2

Started by GSV Three Minds in a Can · · Last activity · 47 posts · 1,338 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
22 February 2006
Last activity
27 March 2006
Original author
GSV Three Minds in a Can
Posts
47
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,338
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 47
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. OK, I actually went mad and bought it. Several new problems are apparent
    ....

    1) Many of the contours are not closed loops (?!) - large bits missing
    (but what is there is much more accurate than the free maps). Look at
    West side of Brown Clee hill for instance.

    2) The 'Paths' do not display on my 60c!! They are =there= because if I
    hover the pointer over them a 'PATH' box pops up, but they are not drawn
    in any visible colour. Serious issue!! (Not that they are accurate
    anyway of course). They show up fine on Mapsource, and on Garmin's web
    viewer.

    3) Mapsource is restricted to displaying the map in a very small window
    (800*600 or something?). I can only assume the OS struck again. And you
    can't print (at all). This is complete cr&p (and neither of these
    restrictions is apparent until after you have opened, installed and
    unlocked the package).

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
    Contact recommends the use of Firefox; SC recommends it at gunpoint.

  2. GSV Three Minds in a Can said:

    OK, I actually went mad and bought it.

    Me too, and I've received it from wiggle but I haven't yet opened it
    because I'm still awaiting my 60csx from gpsw.

    Quoted message said:

    Several new problems are apparent

    Oh no ...

    Quoted message said:

    ...

    1) Many of the contours are not closed loops (?!) - large bits missing
    (but what is there is much more accurate than the free maps). Look at
    West side of Brown Clee hill for instance.

    2) The 'Paths' do not display on my 60c!! They are =there= because if I
    hover the pointer over them a 'PATH' box pops up, but they are not drawn
    in any visible colour. Serious issue!! (Not that they are accurate
    anyway of course). They show up fine on Mapsource, and on Garmin's web
    viewer.

    3) Mapsource is restricted to displaying the map in a very small window
    (800*600 or something?). I can only assume the OS struck again. And you
    can't print (at all). This is complete cr&p (and neither of these
    restrictions is apparent until after you have opened, installed and
    unlocked the package).

    Is the PC software for viewing the maps meant to be a replacement or
    similar to the likes of multimap / anquet / tracklogs etc .. ?

  3. Bitstring <[email hidden]>, from
    the wonderful person Dundonald <[email hidden]> said

    Quoted message said:


    GSV Three Minds in a Can said:

    OK, I actually went mad and bought it.

    Me too, and I've received it from wiggle but I haven't yet opened it
    because I'm still awaiting my 60csx from gpsw.

    Quoted message said:

    Several new problems are apparent

    Oh no ...

    Quoted message said:

    1) Many of the contours are not closed loops (?!) - large bits missing
    (but what is there is much more accurate than the free maps). Look at
    West side of Brown Clee hill for instance.

    2) The 'Paths' do not display on my 60c!! They are =there= because if I
    hover the pointer over them a 'PATH' box pops up, but they are not drawn
    in any visible colour. Serious issue!! (Not that they are accurate
    anyway of course). They show up fine on Mapsource, and on Garmin's web
    viewer.

    3) Mapsource is restricted to displaying the map in a very small window
    (800*600 or something?). I can only assume the OS struck again. And you
    can't print (at all). This is complete cr&p (and neither of these
    restrictions is apparent until after you have opened, installed and
    unlocked the package).

    Is the PC software for viewing the maps meant to be a replacement or
    similar to the likes of multimap / anquet / tracklogs etc .. ?

    Well if it was it fails dismally, but no, in general I'd say that
    Tracklogs etc. is a much better bet for preparing routes, and viewing
    tracks afterwards, because the raster OS mapping has way, way, way (and
    several more ways beyond that) more detailed data that you'll ever get
    on Mapsource products (field boundaries, trails, ROWs, car parks, phone
    boxes, whatever!).

    Mapsource product is really for viewing on the handset, where the
    limited detail is not an issue. The 'small window' and 'no printing' are
    presumably the OS over-reacting as usual - it was never going to be a
    threat to Tracklogs (etc.) even without that restriction, but it's still
    annoying to be sat here with a huge display screen only 25% of which is
    full of UK topo map - purely unnecessary keyhole surgery.

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
    Contact recommends the use of Firefox; SC recommends it at gunpoint.

  4. The blurb I read on the Garmin site suggested that the "X" series is
    needed for max resolution. Mine is a 60CS so GSV's info about paths
    missing is disappointing.

    Do you mean all paths missing or just some? I can't justify an upgrade
    to 60CSX even although I have a big birthday tomorrow.

    I have the Norwegian 1:50000 maps and they are also limited to a small
    window for display so the limitation may be Garmin's but there is a
    print facility (which I have never used) for these.

    --
    Hbunnet : (replace "nospam" with "athome" to reply)
    _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

  5. GSV Three Minds in a Can said:

    1) Many of the contours are not closed loops (?!) - large bits
    missing

    Quarries? Sand dunes? Close contours?

    Quoted message said:

    2) The 'Paths' do not display on my 60c!! They are =there= because if
    I hover the pointer over them a 'PATH' box pops up, but they are not
    drawn in any visible colour.

    Have you tried changing the colour scheme?

    Quoted message said:

    Serious issue!! (Not that they are
    accurate anyway of course). They show up fine on Mapsource, and on
    Garmin's web viewer.

    So presumably you can trace a route along paths in the software in advance?

    Quoted message said:

    3) Mapsource is restricted to displaying the map in a very small
    window (800*600 or something?).

    Bloody stupid! Especially now that I have a 20" widescreen monitor at
    1680x1050! :-(

    Paul

  6. Dundonald said:

    Is the PC software for viewing the maps meant to be a replacement or
    similar to the likes of multimap / anquet / tracklogs etc .. ?

    No. They are proper maps (i.e. computer versions of paper maps) whereas the
    point of the Garming sofware is twofold - to select map areas to upload to
    the GPS, and also to manage waypoints, routes etc. I usually do the latter
    in OziExplorer on proper maps, but if the vector data in Topo UK is more
    accurate, it may be better to use that, for example if following roads (or
    paths if they are accurate). I wonder how accurate their summits are? And
    how many summits are shown?

    Paul

  7. GSV Three Minds in a Can said:

    Well if it was it fails dismally, but no, in general I'd say that
    Tracklogs etc. is a much better bet for preparing routes, and viewing
    tracks afterwards, because the raster OS mapping has way, way, way
    (and several more ways beyond that) more detailed data that you'll
    ever get on Mapsource products (field boundaries, trails, ROWs, car
    parks, phone boxes, whatever!).

    True, but being vector detail, it tends to be much more accurate than an OS
    map. I'm thinking particularly of roads, where junctions and roundabouts
    tend to be shown in great detail, with slip roads for example, and the
    accuracy on the GPS is surprisingly good. In contrast, road thickness is
    exaggerated on OS maps and won't be so accurate if you trace a route over
    one. Not that you'd be tracing roads for the average hill walk, but still,
    it would be interesting to find out how accurate some of these tracks are.

    Paul

  8. Hbunnet said:

    The blurb I read on the Garmin site suggested that the "X" series is
    needed for max resolution. Mine is a 60CS so GSV's info about paths
    missing is disappointing.

    Hang on a mo', what about the view options in the GPS? Has GSV got some
    options turned off or down? Like visibility settings at different zooms, or
    maybe the tracks are linked to some text data that may be turned off? May
    be worth fiddling with them all to see if there's a setting that turns them
    on. Or perhaps they're being hidden by a "national park" area colour or
    something?

    And what about the forests, do they look that bad on the GPS?

    Paul

  9. Hbunnet said:

    The blurb I read on the Garmin site suggested that the "X" series is
    needed for max resolution. Mine is a 60CS so GSV's info about paths
    missing is disappointing.

    Google for a report I made a few weeks back from the Garmin Website viewer.
    In summary, I was seriously disappointed about the path reporting; both
    items missing (ROW and surface features) and items recorded which are
    over-emphasised by the software (minor private farm tracks looking more
    important than surfaced public roads).

    - Nigel

    --
    Nigel Cliffe,
    Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/


  10. Quoted message said:

    Hbunnet wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The blurb I read on the Garmin site suggested that the "X" series is
    needed for max resolution. Mine is a 60CS so GSV's info about paths
    missing is disappointing.

    Paul wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Hang on a mo', what about the view options in the GPS? Has GSV got some
    options turned off or down? Like visibility settings at different
    zooms, or
    maybe the tracks are linked to some text data that may be turned off? May
    be worth fiddling with them all to see if there's a setting that turns them
    on. Or perhaps they're being hidden by a "national park" area colour or
    something?

    Always worth fiddling but we may be dealing with something new here.

    I am in Norway and have the equivalent of their OS maps on my 60CS. The
    detail shows in strange ways e.g. Isolated houses which show as a dot on
    a paper map and in mapsource, show as a huge house icon on the GPS, a
    similar size to the POI icons. The "declutter" function allows these to
    be omitted when you zoom in.

    The paths would be at the "extreme" of detail so may need the extra
    resolution as mentioned below.

    From www.wiggle.co.uk
    ""On Monochrome units resolution will be less than colour units.
    Extended resolution available in the GPS 60 Cx & CSx. (Units this will
    not be compatible with are GPS 100 Series & panel mount aviation
    units).""

    --
    Hbunnet : (replace "nospam" with "athome" to reply)
    _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

  11. Bitstring <[email hidden]>, from the wonderful
    person Paul Saunders <[email hidden]> said

    Quoted message said:
    Hbunnet said:

    The blurb I read on the Garmin site suggested that the "X" series is
    needed for max resolution. Mine is a 60CS so GSV's info about paths
    missing is disappointing.

    Hang on a mo', what about the view options in the GPS? Has GSV got some
    options turned off or down? Like visibility settings at different zooms, or
    maybe the tracks are linked to some text data that may be turned off?

    I tried all the options that I could find. They are apparently of type
    'line' which I don't even know how to code in my own custom maps.

    Quoted message said:

    May
    be worth fiddling with them all to see if there's a setting that turns them
    on. Or perhaps they're being hidden by a "national park" area colour or
    something?

    Nope, they appear to being hidden by the default background colour (sort
    of pale orange on the 60c). I tried a few other colour schemes but
    didn't find the right one yet. If anyone does, let me know.

    Quoted message said:


    And what about the forests, do they look that bad on the GPS?

    Just like all the other garmin maps - bearable by day, horrible in the
    default night-time scheme.

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
    Contact recommends the use of Firefox; SC recommends it at gunpoint.

  12. Paul Saunders said:
    Dundonald said:

    Is the PC software for viewing the maps meant to be a replacement or
    similar to the likes of multimap / anquet / tracklogs etc .. ?

    No. They are proper maps (i.e. computer versions of paper maps) whereas the
    point of the Garming sofware is twofold - to select map areas to upload to
    the GPS, and also to manage waypoints, routes etc. I usually do the latter
    in OziExplorer on proper maps,

    I thought you used Anquet to sort your waypoints, routes etc? Whilst
    we're on that subject, I started playing around with Anquet for the
    first time very briefly last night. When you create a route in Anquet,
    it creates a waypoint for every turn in direction on the route. I
    can't remember what you call them, but you referred to them as
    'breadcrumbs'. Can't anquet create routes with these 'breadcrumbs' so
    that waypoints can be used for what they are intended, or at least how
    it was explained to me what they are intended for, that is to mark key
    milestones / points of interested (e.g. photo's) etc. ?

    Quoted message said:

    but if the vector data in Topo UK is more
    accurate, it may be better to use that, for example if following roads (or
    paths if they are accurate). I wonder how accurate their summits are? And
    how many summits are shown?

    I've got the GB topo DVD but I'm still waiting for my 60csx to arrive
    (I was told this Sat or Mon) so once I get that I can start playing
    around, may be help answer a few of your questions.

  13. Bitstring <[email hidden]>, from the wonderful
    person Nigel Cliffe <[email hidden]> said

    Quoted message said:
    Hbunnet said:

    The blurb I read on the Garmin site suggested that the "X" series is
    needed for max resolution. Mine is a 60CS so GSV's info about paths
    missing is disappointing.

    Google for a report I made a few weeks back from the Garmin Website viewer.
    In summary, I was seriously disappointed about the path reporting; both
    items missing (ROW and surface features) and items recorded which are
    over-emphasised by the software (minor private farm tracks looking more
    important than surfaced public roads).

    Just to add some more comments (and I picked 'here' for no very good
    reason) ..

    These farm 'tracks' (which show as 'track' in Mapsource) are also
    invisible on my 60C, running 4.00 release firmware. Again, if I hover
    the pointer over them I get a popup .. this time 'Area' (of type
    'area'😉. Apparently there are some .IMG file types which my 60C isn't
    rendering!!

    It's also interesting that the 'track' is an area type - although if you
    zoom in on Mapsource you can see that tracks do have an area sort of
    outline - c.f. lakes, rather than streams .. I guess Garmin ripped those
    from satellite photos, or OS raster data, somehow, rather than OS vector
    data. 'Path' definitely looks like it came from OS 'path' data though
    (not ROWs!) since several of the ones marked have no visible existence
    on the ground).

    The 'holes in contours' I compared with 1:25k OS mapping data
    (tracklogs) and the gaps are

    a) where there are quarries, cliffs,

    b) or where the 1:25k data also has missing contour sections (try
    'getamap' for Dodshill Bank in Shropshire, and look North to NE from
    'The Knapp' farm .. no reason I can see!).

    c) even a small gap in a 1:25k contour can apparently result in a bigger
    gap in the Garmin topo data - c.f. the 340m contour just NW from the
    'Three Horseshoes' trig point - 'nothing much' visible on getamap view,
    (although there are quarry markings - this was a brick/clay quarry, all
    of 1-2m deep) but a hole in the UK topo 340m contour.

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
    Contact recommends the use of Firefox; SC recommends it at gunpoint.

  14. Bitstring <[email hidden]>, from the wonderful
    person Paul Saunders <[email hidden]> said

    Quoted message said:
    Dundonald said:

    Is the PC software for viewing the maps meant to be a replacement or
    similar to the likes of multimap / anquet / tracklogs etc .. ?

    No. They are proper maps (i.e. computer versions of paper maps) whereas the
    point of the Garming sofware is twofold - to select map areas to upload to
    the GPS, and also to manage waypoints, routes etc. I usually do the latter
    in OziExplorer on proper maps,

    Looking at the Mapsource screen (1/4 of a screen!) I keep wanting to hit
    'E' which is the GPSMAPEDIT command to turn the raster background back
    on!! Sadly this doesn't work. 8<.

    Quoted message said:

    but if the vector data in Topo UK is more
    accurate, it may be better to use that, for example if following roads (or
    paths if they are accurate).

    Paths are accurate to the OS 'path' types (from 1:25k mapping), although
    some are missing. Many more of the things that are tracks are missing ..
    the whole of 'The Parks' tarmac (private) road through the Burwarton
    Estate from 'Banbury Lane' through to 'Hillside' is missing, although a
    bunch of the side tracks and the paths are shown. Truly weird. Nearly as
    weird as 'why have they encoded tracks as an area type' on what is
    supposed to be vector mapping??

    Quoted message said:

    I wonder how accurate their summits are? And
    how many summits are shown?

    I've scanned around a fair bit and I don't actually see any 'summits'
    excepting the OS trig pillars which all seem to be present. The contours
    are pretty accurate though, so you can work out where the summit roughly
    is (but no name!). Since the OS know where their trig pillars are to
    <1m, I'd hope that Garmin's representation is accurate to that level too
    .... well OK, about 2-3m, since I don't think the GPS has more than 24
    bit resolution for Lat/Lon.

    If you give me a target summit (Lat/Lon in DECIMAL degrees) I'll go look
    for you (or you can do it at Garmin's website).

    I actually bought these for road use mainly (cheaper than City Select
    Europe or whatever the package is now called). If I'd wanted them
    entirely for walking I'd be spitting nails (I will be anyway, if I can't
    get the 'non display' of tracks and paths fixed).

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
    Contact recommends the use of Firefox; SC recommends it at gunpoint.

  15. In article <[email hidden]>, GSV Three Minds in a Can
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    well OK, about 2-3m, since I don't think the GPS has more than 24 bit
    resolution for Lat/Lon.

    Garmin uses 4 bytes each for lat / long in their communication protocol
    so I expect that is what they use internally.

    Soley's 1998 observations on the protocol

    http://playground.sun.com/pub/soley/garmin.txt

    state that some models do not use the 6 least significant bits which
    limits their resolution to under 1.2m. I do not know which units they
    were and Garmin does not mention this in their official protocol
    specification.

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  16. GSV Three Minds in a Can said:

    I actually bought these for road use mainly (cheaper than City Select
    Europe or whatever the package is now called). If I'd wanted them
    entirely for walking I'd be spitting nails (I will be anyway, if I
    can't get the 'non display' of tracks and paths fixed).

    I think I'll go with City Select; for the £20/£30 extra I get useful maps
    when I go to France in the car, and not get lulled into expecting useful
    mapping for walking in the UK.

    If on a budget, I'd go with the cheaper Garmin "non routing" map product,
    which loads fine into routing GPS units.

    With the Contours free data set, I know where it came from, its claims to
    accuracy and completeness. And that I can edit it if I'd like to improve it.
    Whereas with the Garmin set, it appears to be an expensive lottery.

    - Nigel

    --
    Nigel Cliffe,
    Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

  17. Nigel Cliffe said:
    GSV Three Minds in a Can said:

    I actually bought these for road use mainly (cheaper than City Select
    Europe or whatever the package is now called). If I'd wanted them
    entirely for walking I'd be spitting nails (I will be anyway, if I
    can't get the 'non display' of tracks and paths fixed).

    I think I'll go with City Select; for the £20/£30 extra I get useful maps
    when I go to France in the car, and not get lulled into expecting useful
    mapping for walking in the UK.

    If on a budget, I'd go with the cheaper Garmin "non routing" map product,
    which loads fine into routing GPS units.

    With the Contours free data set, I know where it came from, its claims to
    accuracy and completeness. And that I can edit it if I'd like to improve it.
    Whereas with the Garmin set, it appears to be an expensive lottery.

    If there are problems with GB topo I'm sure Garmin will issue updates -
    free to those who already have a copy?

  18. Bitstring <[email hidden]>, from
    the wonderful person Dundonald <[email hidden]> said

    Quoted message said:


    Nigel Cliffe said:
    GSV Three Minds in a Can said:

    I actually bought these for road use mainly (cheaper than City Select
    Europe or whatever the package is now called). If I'd wanted them
    entirely for walking I'd be spitting nails (I will be anyway, if I
    can't get the 'non display' of tracks and paths fixed).

    I think I'll go with City Select; for the £20/£30 extra I get useful maps
    when I go to France in the car, and not get lulled into expecting useful
    mapping for walking in the UK.

    If on a budget, I'd go with the cheaper Garmin "non routing" map product,
    which loads fine into routing GPS units.

    With the Contours free data set, I know where it came from, its claims to
    accuracy and completeness. And that I can edit it if I'd like to improve it.
    Whereas with the Garmin set, it appears to be an expensive lottery.

    If there are problems with GB topo I'm sure Garmin will issue updates -
    free to those who already have a copy?

    First I have to get them to talk to me .. I have the same complaint in
    via 'tech support', 'cartography complaints' and an email to the guy who
    helped me out 6 months ago when my 60c leaked and needed swapping. That
    was >24 hours ago, nothing back yet!

    I guess I should ask on one of the yahoo mapping groups too, since I've
    never even seen 'line' and 'area' types in .img file before.

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
    Contact recommends the use of Firefox; SC recommends it at gunpoint.

  19. Quoted message said:

    If there are problems with GB topo I'm sure Garmin will issue updates -
    free to those who already have a copy?

    This has not been the case in the past : when City Select V7 was released people
    who had bought CS 6 after a specific date had to pay to upgrade. They did get a
    discount however.

    --
    Boo

  20. Bitstring <[email hidden]>, from the
    wonderful person Boo <reply_to_group_not_me@spam_me_no_spam.net> said

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If there are problems with GB topo I'm sure Garmin will issue updates -
    free to those who already have a copy?

    This has not been the case in the past : when City Select V7 was
    released people who had bought CS 6 after a specific date had to pay to
    upgrade. They did get a discount however.

    Yeah, but CS6 basically worked, UK Topo V2 basically doesn't at the
    moment (for values of 'work' which include 'I want to see the paths on
    the handset, even if they are basically pretty much useless'😉.

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
    Contact recommends the use of Firefox; SC recommends it at gunpoint.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.