paco said:*Maybe this is elemental for someone with more mechanical savvy, but
do you still get the flywheel effect that Coker riders talk about, or
do you feel like you are continually exerting yourself while pedaling?
It would be nice to just put the unicycle in cruise control. *
I have never ridden a coker, let alone a geared one, but I figured since
no one else has answered this, I'll have a go.
I got about 30-45 minutes today to play around on Mike Scalisi's geared
26'er, and I noticed that after a while you could get used to riding it,
although it still took a tad bit of concentration and a deep
understanding of the obstacles you were approaching. As far as I could
tell, you definitely can't completely zone out, but it still doesn't
require absolute concentration.
I am considering making a geared 26'er with a KH spline on it for
strength. I like how the chain drive design uses readily accessable
components (relative to the geared hub), so I think I'm gonna try and
make a simple version of that. Also, it's nice how the play is in the
chains, so if it begins to wear it's easy to fix, whereas play in the
gears in the hub is much more difficult to fix.
--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Trials-Muni
"When we hang the capitalists they will sell us the rope we use." "It is
enough that the people know there was an election. The people who cast
the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide
everything." - Joseph Stalin
------------------------------------------------------------------------
gerblefranklin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4295
View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36273