rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Geared 36

Started by unisk8r · · Last activity · 116 posts · 6,819 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
12 November 2004
Last activity
7 June 2007
Original author
unisk8r
Posts
116
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
6,819
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 81–100 of 116
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Thanks for the vote of confidence Hardcore! But I'm still experimenting
    in this unknown environment, and I have no intent myself to produce
    geared unis for sale. Having posted all this in the public forum, I
    will leave production to others who are more set up for that. But I'd
    be happy to talk to anyone interested in making the parts, I'm sure we
    can do it economically as a kit with instructions or something like that
    (to keep the costs down).

    There's still alot of sorting out to do, but the 1.5 overdrive is
    clearly insufficient for fast riding on the flats. I've had no problems
    with maneuverability; it feels just like a bigger wheel in speed, but
    still acts like a 36 in steering. I can't turn on a dime, but maybe you
    could!

    The only non-normal factor from a regular uni is that John Childs
    demonstrated the theoretical lever effect on the frame. But I have had
    no problems whatsoever riding up short hills. Climbing dynamics feel
    pretty much the same. But I will do more hill testing when I get the
    chance.

    My next step is to bump the ratio on this model up to 1.67, and I have a
    v.2 still in the planning stage using belt drives and a 1.85 ratio. So
    until I start finding the limits of rideability, I'm not gonna have
    anything other than prototype parts in my garage. Anyone interested in
    making and selling jackshafts?? I could probably write instructions &
    specs on how to assemble all the after-market parts.

    --
    unisk8r - One Wheel Wander
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36273

  2. I'm confused about shifting. How do you get this in 1.5 mode. Are the
    parts off the shelf items that need some modification or are they custom
    made? Maybe someone like Tom Miller at the Unicycle Factory would be
    interested in producing these if the capital investment is minimal.

    --
    oxfordrider
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    oxfordrider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5600
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36273

  3. TonyMelton said:

    *One question for HAndyAndy: if you're using a wide hub in your Coker
    wouldn't the upper chainring have to sit a long way out from the frame
    (possibly hitting your leg with every pedal stroke)? *

    yes, it's one of many problems. and the drawing i worked up is scaled to
    a 24" wheel so it would sit a little lower but still an issue. it's not
    likely to ever happen and it it did it would be mostly a novelty.

    sorry about the late reply, i was in Orlando for a week and this last
    week i have been busy getting my car running

    --
    HandyAndy - Guest

    -Andrew Smit-
    don't look here
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HandyAndy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3836
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36273

  4. There is no reason that a wheel designed only for speed shouldn't be
    dished a certain amount, should Q become a major issue in pedaling
    efficiency.

    --
    U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

    Weep in the dojo... laugh on the battlefield.

    '29er Tire Study' (http://u-turn.unicyclist.com/29erTireStudy/)

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albup39)

    'New York Unicycle Club' (http://www.newyorkunicycle.com)

    -- Dave Stockton
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    U-Turn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/691
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36273

  5. Do you think it would be possible to make this design shiftable? I am
    thinking that you could have some way to lock the hub to the spindle and
    disengage the cogs if you wanted 1:1. Is this possible, and would it be
    worth doing?

    --
    daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

    Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.10.19
    Seatpost and rail adapter
    'My X-a-n-g-a' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
    I need to find a job
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    daino149's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/933
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36273

  6. I can't think of a way to make it shift, short of a bad-ass miniature
    shiftable jackshaft (but then why have the jackshaft...). This is
    fixed-gear only. No matter to me, as it's still very rideable.
    Greg Harper (Mr. Blueshift) lives nearby and has seen this, but we
    haven't yet discussed the design possibilities of combining the
    different approaches.

    --
    unisk8r - One Wheel Wander
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36273

  7. So today a few of my friends took their first spin on Purple Phaze.
    Then, it was Mr. HARPER's turn. True to his reputation, he spun the
    locktighted and lock-ringed jackshaft cogs on his very first mount
    attempt, a running-leap-on type. PP is back in the shop for a
    re-design...🙁
    Oh well, if a uni ain't Harper-proof, then it's NO DAM GOOD!!

    For those interested, here are the "exploded" parts of the jackshaft
    assembly:

    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Attachment filename: 36geared.v2.jackshaft.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/253326|
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    unisk8r - One Wheel Wander
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36273

  8. unisk8r said:

    *he spun the locktighted and lock-ringed jackshaft cogs*

    I'm not sure if I understand this. (In fact I'm sure I don't understand
    this.) The lockrings are the bottom parts in your exploded view, right?
    The picture is almost too small, but the lockrings seem to have three
    little indents on the outside which I assume match (lock on) three
    notches on something else. On what? And what exactly spun with respect
    to what?

    Klaas Bil

    --
    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36273

  9. Klaas Bil said:

    *I'm not sure if I understand this. (In fact I'm sure I don't
    understand this.) The lockrings are the bottom parts in your exploded
    view, right? The picture is almost too small, but the lockrings seem
    to have three little indents on the outside which I assume match
    (lock on) three notches on something else. On what? And what exactly
    spun with respect to what?

    Klaas Bil *

    The indentations in the lockrings are there so you can fit a lockring
    spanner on to tighten or remove the lockring.

    Here's a picture of a Park Tool bottom bracket lockring spanner
    (wrench). A lockring spanner for a rear cog (as used on track bikes) is
    typically different and usually only has one tooth. But this picture is
    good enough to give you an idea how a lockring spanner fits on a
    lockring. 'Park Tool bottom bracket lockring spanner'
    (http://www.parktool.com/tools/HCW_5BIG.shtml)

    Here's a picture of a different style of lockring pliers
    (wrench/spanner). 'Tools for track racers'
    (http://www.businesscycles.com/trtool.htm)

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com
    Gallery: '' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/john_childs)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36273

  10. unisk8r said:

    *So today a few of my friends took their first spin on Purple Phaze.
    Then, it was Mr. HARPER's turn. True to his reputation, he spun the
    locktighted and lock-ringed jackshaft cogs on his very first mount
    attempt, a running-leap-on type. PP is back in the shop for a
    re-design...🙁
    Oh well, if a uni ain't Harper-proof, then it's NO DAM GOOD!! *

    This Harper incident is most unfortunate. It was going to be *my* turn
    to ride the Purple Phaze next. 😠

    Bad Harper! <said in the tone used when scolding a dog>

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com
    Gallery: '' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/john_childs)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36273

  11. Klaas Bil said:

    *I'm not sure if I understand this. (In fact I'm sure I don't
    understand this.) The lockrings are the bottom parts in your exploded
    view, right? The picture is almost too small, but the lockrings seem
    to have three little indents on the outside which I assume match
    (lock on) three notches on something else. On what? And what exactly
    spun with respect to what?
    Klaas Bil *

    John is correct as always. There are 2 kinds of lockrings, a track type
    with as few indents as possible for strength, and the 6-notched, as I
    have, which are meant to be removed & re-installed more often.
    Klaas, Harper reverse-spun the big cog on the central cog body, a common
    problem with any other track cog setup (and a problem on most giraffes -
    that's why we weld the cog to the hub). His response was "Get some
    24-hour epoxy, that'll take care of it!" True, but it will also take
    care of any hope of ever changing the gear ratio on the jackshaft by
    using a different size cog!

    --
    unisk8r - One Wheel Wander
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36273

  12. Could you do what we did on the new Nimbus Giraffes? We use a hub body
    designed for disc brakes, but use the bolt holes to bolt on the sprocket
    (with some thread lock). It has been 100% reliable so far and we
    implemented the design last April.

    Roger

    --
    rogeratunicycledotcom - ok ish Unicyclist
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36273

  13. Thanks for that suggestion, Roger. Problem is, how to set up the hub
    section and drill the cogs so that they are perfectly concentric. How
    do you accomplish that?

    Then there still must be room for sealed bearings inside the "hub".

    My other idea for a jackshaft was to weld the 2 track cogs to a steel
    tube (1.375" OD), and somehow insert the sealed bearings and axle. Same
    issue though, how do you set up these parts so the sprockets will be
    concentric? Weld them on a lathe (he asks, not being a machinist...)?

    Harper suggested using 2 freewheel sprockets and a freehub body, but
    every sprocket I've seen fits pretty loose and would be hard to weld
    concentric.

    --
    unisk8r - One Wheel Wander
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36273

  14. unisk8r said:

    *So today a few of my friends took their first spin on Purple Phaze.
    Then, it was Mr. HARPER's turn. True to his reputation, he spun the
    locktighted and lock-ringed jackshaft cogs on his very first mount
    attempt, a running-leap-on type. *

    I am very pleased that I was able to break something other than my own
    leg. I had to beg Ryan Atkins to break Steve Howard's splined axle
    because I couldn't do it myself. I feel like I'm back in business.
    Especially pleasing is the knowledge that JC was denied a ride because
    of my excessive abuse.

    Another notable: Irene Genelin is the first to have ridden both versions
    of geared Cokers (jackshaft and internal) and is the only living human
    who can make a comparison.

    --
    harper - Riding a Fat

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    "You go through life and you choose." - Greg Harper

    "Find weak people and take stuff from them" - Greg Harper
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    harper's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/426
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36273

  15. unisk8r said:

    *Thanks for that suggestion, Roger. Problem is, how to set up the hub
    section and drill the cogs so that they are perfectly concentric. How
    do you accomplish that? Then there still must be room for insertion
    of sealed bearings on each side of the "hub".*

    The holes are batch produced so my guess is that there is no flash
    tooling. But it works! My guess is the number of holes help.

    When I was designing it I was thinking it needed a machined inner ring
    that fits on a machined section on the hub. Although this was not
    possible due to way the hub was built. In then end it was not needed.

    On the matter of fitting a bearing, I would have thought it was better
    because these hubs are front hubs. Some are fitted with sealed bearings
    and have a 20mm shaft through the centre. It may be that these could be
    used with less adaption than using rear ones.

    Roger

    --
    rogeratunicycledotcom - ok ish Unicyclist
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36273

  16. I visited Tom Miller this weekend and I believe he would willing to
    build one of these for someone. I gave him a paper copy of this thread
    because he has no internet access, but he already knew about it because
    he provided the spokes for this project.

    Contact info:

    Tommy Miller
    765-452-2692

    --
    kokomojuggler - Coker Rider

    Kokomo Juggler
    -All Glory to God
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    kokomojuggler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4925
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36273

  17. Just thought I'd post an update on this project. The first gear ratio
    tried was 1.5, using 22t drive cogs and 18t cogs on the small sides.
    Then I went to 17t cogs, which was a 1.67 ratio. Now I'm using a 16t
    cogs, which is a 1.89 gear ratio. It's getting easier to ride the more
    time I get on it, but still takes some getting used to. Freemounts are
    indeed possible! My speeds have increased with each increase in the
    gear ratio, but not quite in proportion to the gear.
    Another issue is crank lengths. With the 1.5 ratio I used 150mm cranks.
    With the 1.67 I went to 170mm, and noticed a lot more control. Now
    with the 1.89 I currently have a set of 172.5, but will soon be
    installing a set of 175s.
    I also cut & re-welded the jackshaft cage to make it narrower.
    Here's the current frontal view:

    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Attachment filename: 36geared.v3.sidesm.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/272784|
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    unisk8r - One Wheel Wander
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36273

  18. Purple Phase is a real beauty. Thanks for sharing the project
    developement. Nice piece of work.

    --
    Chrashing - Just Lucky

    Regards,
    Chrashing
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36273

  19. Wow Pete! What sort of speeds are you doing on that? I'm also curious
    to know the speed progression with the different gearing ratios. I
    imagine that by now it's the wind resistance that is starting to hold
    you back more?

    Nice cranks too...she looks like a very expensive project :p

    Ken

    --
    GizmoDuck - NZUNI

    o-kO
    'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GizmoDuck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/794
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36273

  20. Thanks Chrashing!

    GizmoDuck said:

    *Wow Pete! What sort of speeds are you doing on that? I'm also
    curious to know the speed progression with the different gearing
    ratios. I imagine that by now it's the wind resistance that is
    starting to hold you back more?
    Nice cranks too...she looks like a very expensive project :p *

    The carbon cranks are used and from eBay. Not much more than high-end
    cranks on uni.com.
    Yes, wind resistance IS a factor at 15+ mph, esp. at 20+. I'm not
    saying that I can go riding & average near 20 (truth is it's more like
    15 for me), but top speeds are as fast as your mind can tolerate.
    (20mph = 100 cadence with this gear!) It's more that we just don't yet
    have the experience of riding 20+, nor the desire to take a hard fall at
    well-above-runout speeds. I wear pads all the time, but getting in the
    time at 20 is mentally tough.

    --
    unisk8r - One Wheel Wander
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/36273

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.