Gearing for the Sydney to Gong

kslim

Sep 27, 2006
Hi all, my first post here.

Did the Sydney to Gong last year on my Mountain Bike with slicks - in a bit over 4 hrs, but have just invested in a road bike. I can't recall the hills very much from last year, but don't remember having any problems with them on my mountain bike.

I've got a 53/39 chainring and 12-27 cassette, and find there are quite frequent times riding the hills around North Rocks when I'm down on the 39/27.

What sort of gearing do other (average) riders use on the Gong ride?

kslim said:
What sort of gearing do other (average) riders use on the Gong ride?
I personally use a 39/25 as a lowest gear - I am probably about middle of the road in terms of ability - I don't race, and can't hope to keep up with my mates who do race (C grade) when they're going for it.

n

You should be fine with that gearing. The bigger hills are long rather than been very steep.

My gears are 53/42 11-21

nerdag said:
I personally use a 39/25 as a lowest gear - I am probably about middle of the road in terms of ability - I don't race, and can't hope to keep up with my mates who do race (C grade) when they're going for it.
There are no really challenging hills on the gong ride.

That sed, there are plenty of places where you'll be dropping down through the gears in order to stay comfortable for the whole trip. If you can grab a 39/25 then you'll do it easy if you climb each rise at your own pace. You only have to get over a hill for it to become a great memory.

Thanks for the advice.

Being new to road bikes, I was starting to get a bit anxious about not having a spare gear to drop down into. (Always have a few spare gears on the MTB).

Found another reason for my struggles as well though - just recovering from a virus, and after testing my spirometry, found I'd dropped about 20% of lung function! Have to try those hills again when I'm back up to full capacity.

kslim said:
Thanks for the advice.

Being new to road bikes, I was starting to get a bit anxious about not having a spare gear to drop down into. (Always have a few spare gears on the MTB).

Found another reason for my struggles as well though - just recovering from a virus, and after testing my spirometry, found I'd dropped about 20% of lung function! Have to try those hills again when I'm back up to full capacity.
Did you know that you were asthmatic?

Very astute of you to make the link. Actually - yes. Normally don't get much of a drop, but the viruses going around this year have been a bit worse.