I purchased a Novara touring bike about 18 months ago and am generally happy with it. It has a front chainring with a 52/42/30 gear ratio in front and a cassette of 11-28 in the back. This makes for a good combination of gear ratios that is more than enough for the flatlands of the US Gulf coast, which is where I live.
After 18 months, I've noticed a couple of things. I rarely use the 52/11 combination, even on flatlands while unloaded. My legs aren't that strong and I really don't want to go that fast on this particular bike. Also, while touring fully loaded in the central Texas hill country, I often used the lowest gear ratio (f:30/r:28) and on occasion wanted something a little lower. So I put these two together and decided that I can live with a slightly lower gear ratio.
I'm a little uninformed about the best way to do this. As I understand it, I can get another chainring with fewer teeth in front or a bigger cassette with more teeth in back. Which route is best?
Thanks, Keefe.