Gentle education works

Nick Kew

Guest
Was cycling in urban traffic today, when a black mercedes passing too close forced me to go straight
over a pothole.

At the next trafficlights, I gave a polite tap on the window, and asked that he should leave more
space when passing, as he had just forced me over a pothole.

After the lights changed, he passed me again, with a much bigger clearance. With a bit of luck,
he'll be aware of the issue in future. One motorist educated, with no aggro or ill-will.

--
Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

"Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> Was cycling in urban traffic today, when a black mercedes passing too close forced me to go
> straight over a pothole.
>
> At the next trafficlights, I gave a polite tap on the window, and asked that he should leave more
> space when passing, as he had just forced me over a pothole.
>
> After the lights changed, he passed me again, with a much bigger clearance. With a bit of luck,
> he'll be aware of the issue in future. One motorist educated, with no aggro or ill-will.
>
> --
> Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France
> 1.5, Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

Nice to hear. I was on my way back from a ride, pretty knackered, came to a T-junction where I
wanted to turn left. There was a car coming down the road to my right, so my attempt to turn into
the road without losing precious momentum was abandoned, and I braked to a halt.

10m from the junction, motorist slows, then starts to turn left into my road. I could have gone
after all if the moron had only indicated. I held my arms out, indicating bafflement as to his
intentions, whilst asking "if you ********* indicated we might all get on". He stopped, opened his
window and apologised. Smiles all round.

Cycling up the inside of line of stationary traffic on way to station, my flapping coat rapped on a
wing mirror. My fault. Stopped bike, went back to car and apologised. Apology accepted with smile.
Still caught train. There's room for us all on these roads with a little courtesy.

Peter.

> Nice to hear. I was on my way back from a ride, pretty knackered, came to a T-junction where I
> wanted to turn left. There was a car coming down the road to my right, so my attempt to turn into
> the road without losing precious momentum was abandoned, and I braked to a halt.
>
> 10m from the junction, motorist slows, then starts to turn left into my road. I could have gone
> after all if the moron had only indicated.

Would you have turned left in front of him if he had been indicating? I would still have hesitated,
I've been in more than one situation where the indication has been plain incorrect.

Colin

I tried to educate gently a pillock in a Mercedes on Wednesday, but he decline to open the window on
which I was tapping in an attempt to inform him that:

1. the road down which we were both travelling was a one-way street, and
2. one of us was going the wrong way, and
3. it wasn't me.

He probably went home and wrote a letter to the "Daily Mail" about lycra louts.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 08:49:29 +0000 (UTC), "al_Mossah"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>10m from the junction, motorist slows, then starts to turn left into my road. I could have gone
>after all if the moron had only indicated.

A lesson my driving instructor taught me and which I apply on the bike and in the car: never believe
a car's indocators. Wait until you see them start to turn, or until they are going slowly enough
that it would be safe to go even if they were not indicating. They might be about to turn into their
drive just past the junction, after all.

Sorry, that really is very sanctimonious but it's also true. I am confident that it has saved me
from at least one serious prang.

Guy
===

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Dave Larrington wrote:
> I tried to educate gently a pillock in a Mercedes on Wednesday, but he decline to open the window
> on which I was tapping in an attempt to inform him that:
>
> 1. the road down which we were both travelling was a one-way street, and
> 2. one of us was going the wrong way, and
> 3. it wasn't me.

Turl St in Oxford gives good opportunities for this, being exactly one white-vanswidth at the end
which motor vehicles are not allowed to enter. No need to tap on a window when you can block their
path entirely---I find that a slightly confused expression of infinite patience works best.

Henry Braun wrote:

> Turl St in Oxford gives good opportunities for this, being exactly one white-vanswidth at the end
> which motor vehicles are not allowed to enter. No need to tap on a window when you can block their
> path entirely---I find that a slightly confused expression of infinite patience works best.

Alas, Park Street SE1 is just a whisker too wide for this chiz.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:36:02 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 08:49:29 +0000 (UTC), "al_Mossah"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>10m from the junction, motorist slows, then starts to turn left into my road. I could have gone
>>after all if the moron had only indicated.
>
>A lesson my driving instructor taught me and which I apply on the bike and in the car: never
>believe a car's indocators.

I remember the very same thing - never anticipate on an indicator signal.

Somehing else I remember was failing my driving test first time round: waving a ped across a
light-controlled zebra crossing. This chap stepped up, lights turned amber, and being such a
considerate motorist, I waved him across - setting up a hazzard. Yeah, right. Bad news. It's failure
for you my boy.

The moral of the failure was: proceed when you have the right of way, stop when you don't.

Garry

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 01:00:24 +0100, [email protected] (Nick Kew) wrote:

>Was cycling in urban traffic today, when a black mercedes passing too close forced me to go
>straight over a pothole.
>
>At the next trafficlights, I gave a polite tap on the window, and asked that he should leave more
>space when passing, as he had just forced me over a pothole.
>
>After the lights changed, he passed me again, with a much bigger clearance. With a bit of luck,
>he'll be aware of the issue in future. One motorist educated, with no aggro or ill-will.

You did good, and took a risk in the process too. You could very easily have been hurled a sack load
of abuse. I've often stayed away form these kind of situations for fear of setting up conflict, but
that's it....me just assuming it *will* be conflict.

Good for you.

Garry

Nick Kew deftly scribbled:

> Was cycling in urban traffic today, when a black mercedes passing too close forced me to go
> straight over a pothole.
>
> At the next trafficlights, I gave a polite tap on the window, and asked that he should leave more
> space when passing, as he had just forced me over a pothole.
>
> After the lights changed, he passed me again, with a much bigger clearance. With a bit of luck,
> he'll be aware of the issue in future. One motorist educated, with no aggro or ill-will.

Nice one .. ;)

Bit of a reverse of a similar situation .. I was driving in the car with a cyclist way ahead of me,
decent hand signal showing he's about to turn left .. I was overtaken by another car. The cyclist
proceeds to swing very wide out right before turning left, in the process making the car that had
overtaken me and had now caught up with him, swerve quite violently to avoid him. By now there was
also on-coming traffic. I also turned left, following the cyclist who appeared ablivious to what
he'd done. When we both stopped at Tee-Junction I wound window down and had a word. (I had mountain
bikes on roof, so it was reasonably obvious I was a cyclist too)

He said he'd done it so that he didn't have to slow down to get round the corner, but no, he
hadn't looked back and no he didn't realise he'd made a car swerve, he hadn't even seen a car
behind him .. ;)

No worries, no-one actually hurt, but it _is_ actions like this that can make one road-user question
other road-users in general .. I have no clue as to what the swerving motorist thought .. ;)

--
Digweed

Not me, someone else deftly scribbled:

> ablivious to what he'd done. When we both stopped at Tee-Junction I
^^^^^^^^^ oblivious

--
Digweed

> I tried to educate gently a pillock in a Mercedes on Wednesday, but he decline to open the window
> on which I was tapping in an attempt to inform him that:
>
> 1. the road down which we were both travelling was a one-way street, and
> 2. one of us was going the wrong way, and
> 3. it wasn't me.

We have a one-way only, pedestrianised town centre street, with gates that are often shut. OK, its
naughty to go through it when its "loading only" time at 7:30 am, but quite often cars are coming up
the other way. I often hold my position, the middle of the road, until much later than they'd expect

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Garry Broad <[email protected]> wrote:

> Somehing else I remember was failing my driving test first time round: waving a ped across a
> light-controlled zebra crossing. This chap stepped up, lights turned amber, and being such a
> considerate motorist, I waved him across - setting up a hazzard. Yeah, right. Bad news. It's
> failure for you my boy.
>
> The moral of the failure was: proceed when you have the right of way, stop when you don't.

Actually, I think you don't have right of way on _any_ pedestrian crossing - the pedestrian does,
irrespective of the state of teh lights. Most people know it's true of zebras, but I think you have
to rummage pretty deep in the regulations to determine that it's true of pelicans.

Then again, I've never seen a light controlled zebra, so maybe you're somewhere odd (ie, not
England) and the rules are different.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Nick Kew <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> Was cycling in urban traffic today,

<snip>

And someone in an escort pulled into my lane without a signal and I suspect without looking. Sadly
I was too furious and shocked to gently educate him, called him a tw*t and made a certain anglo
saxon gesture.

Funnily enough, by the next junction he gave me a wide berth too.

First near miss in ages.

--
Andrew

"Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 18:23:41 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Garry Broad <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Somehing else I remember was failing my driving test first time round: waving a ped across a
>> light-controlled zebra crossing. This chap stepped up, lights turned amber, and being such a
>> considerate motorist, I waved him across - setting up a hazzard. Yeah, right. Bad news. It's
>> failure for you my boy.
>>
>> The moral of the failure was: proceed when you have the right of way, stop when you don't.
>
>Actually, I think you don't have right of way on _any_ pedestrian crossing - the pedestrian does,
>irrespective of the state of teh lights. Most people know it's true of zebras, but I think you have
>to rummage pretty deep in the regulations to determine that it's true of pelicans.
>
>Then again, I've never seen a light controlled zebra, so maybe you're somewhere odd (ie, not
>England) and the rules are different.

No, this is England. And from what I can contrue, I think you'll find that the 'status' of a
crossing is controlled by what the lights are doing. Pelican crossing without lights are always
priority to the pedestrian. Anyway, he failed me on it. He may have been wrong, but I don't think
so. The only thing I did wrong, but fair play to the bloke, it was lesson well learnt, and I've
remembered that many, many times. If in doubt, and the 'right of way is yours' - use it, don't set
up a hazzard to other road uses, by being generous, especially if other road users then have to
'guess' what's going on. If they have to wait, so be it, they wait.

Garry

Henry Braun <[email protected]> wrote: ( > I tried to educate gently a pillock in a Mercedes on
Wednesday, but he ) > decline to open the window on which I was tapping in an attempt to inform ( >
him that: ) > ( > 1. the road down which we were both travelling was a one-way street, and ) > 2.
one of us was going the wrong way, and ( > 3. it wasn't me. ) ( Turl St in Oxford gives good
opportunities for this, being exactly one ) white-vanswidth at the end which motor vehicles are not
allowed to enter.

Of course, the Turl is complicated by no longer being one-way along any part of its length. There
are drivers who remember one of the four different schemes -- including one-way traffic with and
without a contra-flow cycle lane that have operated over the past quarter of a century -- but even
putting those aside you can understand that some less astute mobile death greenhouse pilots might be
confused by the concept of a street on which they are permitted to travel in both directions, but
not to enter from one end.

And then there is the part-time one-way traffic sign in Market Street, which leads to the "no
vehicles" restriction at Cornmarket...

( No need to tap on a window when you can block their path entirely---I ) find that a slightly
confused expression of infinite patience works best.

When I'm waiting at a red light at the top of Parks Road and someone confused by the road layout
starts to turn right into the wrong side of the road -- as happens from time to time -- I find that
an involuntary expression of panic and furious waving of the arms is moderately effective.

In news:[email protected], Garry Broad <[email protected]> typed:
>. If in doubt, and the 'right of way is yours' - use it, don't set up a hazzard to other road uses,
> by being generous, especially if other road users then have to 'guess' what's going on. If they
> have to wait, so be it, they wait.

If I recall correctly that was part of the issue (discussed here last week) wrt the lunatic driver
who killed the cyclist where the white(?) van driver had stopped and conceded right of way to the
cyclist crossing the road, was overtaken at speed by the lunatic killing the cyclist.

pk

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, Geraint Jones wrote:

> When I'm waiting at a red light at the top of Parks Road and someone confused by the road layout
> starts to turn right into the wrong side of the road -- as happens from time to time -- I find
> that an involuntary expression of panic and furious waving of the arms is moderately effective.

A repeatedly observed behaviour of cyclists at those lights is to turn left into Parks Rd by
mounting onto the pavement at the pedestrian crossing on the Banbury Rd, and dropping back onto the
road ten yards later on Parks Rd. It seems to be a deprecatory genuflection in apology at running
the red light, which they have of course just done.

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 01:05:43 +0100, Garry Broad <[email protected]> wrote:

>If in doubt, and the 'right of way is yours' - use it, don't set up a hazzard to other road uses,
>by being generous,

Nothing wrong with stopping, it's giving signals to other road users (ped or vehicular) which is the
issue IMO. If I am in a position where one might just as erasily stop as go I will often stop and
let someone cross, but I let them make up their mind if they want to.

Guy
===

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 06:45:01 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Kelly"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>If I recall correctly that was part of the issue (discussed here last week) wrt the lunatic driver
>who killed the cyclist where the white(?) van driver had stopped and conceded right of way to the
>cyclist crossing the road, was overtaken at speed by the lunatic killing the cyclist.

The lunatic was travelling at twice the limit and overtaking when he couldn't see ahead.

Guy
===