Georgia-Ironmans/Half Ironmans

Matt Peeler

Guest
I am in Georgia and I am wanting to do a half ironman late summer but I don't seem to be able to
find where there is a 1/2 ironman in the state of Georgia in 2003.

Does anyone know whether or not there is such a thing in GA.

Thanks in advance

Matt P.

[email protected] (Matt Peeler) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I am in Georgia and I am wanting to do a half ironman late summer but I don't seem to be able to
> find where there is a 1/2 ironman in the state of Georgia in 2003.
>
> Does anyone know whether or not there is such a thing in GA.

I have not competed in a couple of years, but I believe this to still be true:

* No late summer half or full ironman in Georgia.
* Consider Florida Challenge or Great Floridian Full IM in Orlando area. It's not that bad of a
drive from Atlanta.
* Several years ago Savananah had a Half (Steve Lynne Tri). I think it died a quiet death. I also
think it was an early summer race.

RR

http://www.gsmtc.com - there's one in June.

[email protected] (Matt Peeler) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I am in Georgia and I am wanting to do a half ironman late summer but I don't seem to be able to
> find where there is a 1/2 ironman in the state of Georgia in 2003.
>
> Does anyone know whether or not there is such a thing in GA.
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> Matt P.

It is not late summer but there is a 1/2 in Hiawassee, May 31, Atomic Man Near Knoxville is in
September.

Rick

news:[email protected]...

[email protected] (Witheld) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> [email protected] (Matt Peeler) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> I am in Georgia and I am wanting to do a half ironman late summer but I don't seem to be able to
>> find where there is a 1/2 ironman in the state of Georgia in 2003.
>>
>> Does anyone know whether or not there is such a thing in GA.
>
> I have not competed in a couple of years, but I believe this to still be true:
>
> * No late summer half or full ironman in Georgia.
> * Consider Florida Challenge or Great Floridian Full IM in Orlando area. It's not that bad of a
> drive from Atlanta.
> * Several years ago Savananah had a Half (Steve Lynne Tri). I think it died a quiet death. I also
> think it was an early summer race.
>
> RR

Or take some extra training time and do IMFL in Panama City in November.

Tom Henderson wrote:

> [email protected] (Witheld) wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > [email protected] (Matt Peeler) wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> >> I am in Georgia and I am wanting to do a half ironman late summer but I don't seem to be able
> >> to find where there is a 1/2 ironman in the state of Georgia in 2003.
> >>
> >> Does anyone know whether or not there is such a thing in GA.
> >
> > I have not competed in a couple of years, but I believe this to still be true:
> >
> > * No late summer half or full ironman in Georgia.
> > * Consider Florida Challenge or Great Floridian Full IM in Orlando area. It's not that bad of a
> > drive from Atlanta.
> > * Several years ago Savananah had a Half (Steve Lynne Tri). I think it died a quiet death. I
> > also think it was an early summer race.
> >
> > RR
>
> Or take some extra training time and do IMFL in Panama City in November.

Registration for IMFL closed 6 days after it opened in November 2002.

On 4/4/03 10:13 AM, in article, "Matt Peeler" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I am in Georgia and I am wanting to do a half ironman late summer but I don't seem to be able to
> find where there is a 1/2 ironman in the state of Georgia in 2003.
>
> Does anyone know whether or not there is such a thing in GA.
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> Matt P.

Can't help with exactly what you're looking for but, there is a half IM in Hiawassee, GA on May 31
(<http://www.gsmtc.com/>)

Here are some others in your "neighborhood" later in the season:

Great Floridian Half; Clermont, FL; October 25; <http://greatfloridian.com/gfhalfinfo.htm>

Atomic Man Half; Oak Ridge, TN; September 28 <http://www.racedayevents.net/>

Duke Liver Center Half; Durham, NC; September 29 <http://www.set-upinc.com/>

CATS Half Iron; Arkadelphia, AK; August 17 <http://www.parksidecycle.com/half%20IM.htm>

Depending on where you live in GA, the closest available full IM may be either the Great Floridian
(Oct 25), or Duke Blue Devil (Oct 11).

(As Tom pointed out there is also IM Florida in Panama Beach, but it is sold out for 2003).

John

Eric Sellers <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Tom Henderson wrote:
>
>> [email protected] (Witheld) wrote in news:[email protected]:
>>
>> > [email protected] (Matt Peeler) wrote in message
>> > news:<[email protected]>...

>> > I have not competed in a couple of years, but I believe this to still be true:
>> >
>> > * No late summer half or full ironman in Georgia.
>> > * Consider Florida Challenge or Great Floridian Full IM in Orlando area. It's not that bad of a
>> > drive from Atlanta.
>> > * Several years ago Savananah had a Half (Steve Lynne Tri). I think it died a quiet death. I
>> > also think it was an early summer race.
>> >
>> > RR
>>
>> Or take some extra training time and do IMFL in Panama City in November.
>
> Registration for IMFL closed 6 days after it opened in November 2002.

I didn't say THIS November! Of course, that was what the original poster was looking for.