Luigi de Guzman said:I'm getting back into cycling after a long hiatus (judging from my
previous rbm traffic...a little *too* long of a hiatus) of maybe two
years. In my previous incarnation, I was fitter--while nobody would
have mistaken me for a racer or a randonneur, I used to put up a fair
number of miles--maybe 20-40 miles a day, depending, at a rolling
average of around 15mph.
I did a "dry run" practice ride that covers the 21-mile route from my
house to my office and covered the distance in 2:01:40 over gently
rolling terrain. I intend to get my mileage and speed up over the next
few weeks by commuting to work as much as I can.
Am I nuts to set a goal of a saturday century by the end of June for
myself?
-Luigi
I guess my question is "what is that makes you want to do it?"
I think of recreational cycling as being fun. And while that includes
having goals -like a century - your question has to be if the fun of
traing for and riding the century a few weeks off is going to be fun
given your current level of fitness.
Right now you report that you can ride a gently rolling course (I read
that as easy) at about 10 mph. Unless that speed was held down by
traffic stops etc. that is pretty slow over a long distance. So, with
sag stops if rode that pace a century would take well over 10 hours.
If you can improve your fitness over the next few weeks you can
probably shave an hour or maybe two off that. So, the question becomes
is riding for 8 or 9 or 10 hours fun for you? If you think it will be
(many do) then go for it. If it sounds like a bit long at this time in
your comeback why not wait and do a fall century with many more
training hours under belt.
Either way it is up to you and your idea of enjoying the ride.