Singlespeed · Public discussion

Getting up to speed

Started by mikesbytes · · Last activity · 23 posts · 6,533 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Singlespeed
Published
17 October 2006
Last activity
16 January 2007
Original author
mikesbytes
Posts
23
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
6,533
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–23 of 23
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. mikesbytes said:

    I tried a higher gear on my track bike last night, switching from 48/15 to 48/14. A dozen or so laps showed that the gear felt good, so I decided to try some 250mtr standing sprints. What they do, is hold you and as the motor pace goes past, the let you go (they only let you go if the track is clear as you sprint out blind) and you sprint around the outsiide of the motobike and the bikes following. My PB is 17.5 seconds. The first attempt my left calf cramped and I did 18.6 seconds. My Second attempt, I spun the back wheel over a bump and I did 18.3 seconds and then the rain came, so that was the end of that - track closed.

    Not really enough data to make a assessment on, but my gut feeling is that I wasn't getting up to speed quickly enough.

    I should also note that I do weight lifting before work, approx 13 hours before these sprints, so there is a variation in my performance, based on how stuffed I am on the particular night.

    Anyway, what I thinking is that, for whatever reason, I'm accelerating quick enough over the first 50 metres, I need to learn how to get the wheels turning quick enough on a fixed gear.

    Bigger gear=slower acceleration. Simple as that. Smaller gear=faster acceleration. Of course your times are going to be slower in a bigger gear from a standing start for a 200 meter sprint because the first 5 seconds are what makes or breaks your time. Same with a kilo, first lap can make or break you.

  2. I think the problem could be that I'm not pulling hard enough on the pedal, relying too much on pushing.

  3. mikesbytes said:

    I think the problem could be that I'm not pulling hard enough on the pedal, relying too much on pushing.


    Now that is called SNAP.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.