Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Giant OCR 2: A good first bike?

Started by poop_007 · · Last activity · 11 posts · 12,594 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
5 August 2005
Last activity
7 January 2006
Original author
poop_007
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
12,594
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    I'm quite a rookie when it comes to cycling, so I have not much of a clue about what is a good bike. I am young and reeeealy low on money, so I am looking for a cheap bike. I found the Giant OCR 2, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it or if there are better bikes for about the same price.

    I want a bike below $800.

    Thanks.

  2. poop_007 said:

    Hi,

    I'm quite a rookie when it comes to cycling, so I have not much of a clue about what is a good bike. I am young and reeeealy low on money, so I am looking for a cheap bike. I found the Giant OCR 2, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it or if there are better bikes for about the same price.

    I want a bike below $800.

    Thanks.


    great choice. this is the best road bike you can get for the money period. good components, strong frame, overall a great ride.

  3. Hijacking the thread.

    I have personally been looking at the OCR 3, because the wheels on the OCR 2 look to have too few spokes for a man my size (I should be down to 250ish by the time I get it) Any comments on that particular component? Otherwise, I agree, a sweet bike, and my current Giant has served me well for over 1800 miles.

  4. I purchased the OCR2 about a year and a half ago. I didn't ride it much the first summer I had it and didn't ride at all this year until two weeks ago. I began logging a lot of seat time for a triathlon this fall (I'm doing one of three legs.. it's a team deal).

    The only complaint I have is the seat. It hurts my rear. Not sure if it's just a poor saddle or if I'm in a poor position. Other than that the bike is great. It's my first bike and I'm pleased. Quality parts at a decent price. I'm so glad I got clipless pedals on my first bike. I really enjoy the experience.

  5. I am really happy with my 2004.5 OCR 1 (cost $849 year end sale). I put panniers on it and I sometimes carry a lot of stuff on the bike. It worked great all day as a messenger bike, and the seat never made me saddle sore. I liked the seat so much I bought 2 more of them on ebay and put them on my $3700 Kestrel racing / training bike despite their weight. Of my 4 road bikes, my OCR 1 has the most comfortable ride. It truly is a comfort road bike.

    You should save more money or borrow from dad or mom and get the OCR 1. Or put it on layaway at the shop.

  6. I don't have one, but the OCR2 seems like a great beginner bike. Personally, I'm looking into getting an OCR1 as I think the extra cash is worth having the Ultegra drivetrain. The only thing that I would change is the triple to a double (merely for the badass-factor 🙂 )

    That being said, the OCR2 (and OCR1) seem to be about the best deal out there, other than going through those internet deal-sites.

    --greg--

  7. poop_007 said:

    Hi,

    I'm quite a rookie when it comes to cycling, so I have not much of a clue about what is a good bike. I am young and reeeealy low on money, so I am looking for a cheap bike. I found the Giant OCR 2, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it or if there are better bikes for about the same price.

    I want a bike below $800.

    Thanks.


    I have had an OCR3 for less than a month. I love it. Rides like a Cadillac, in my limited experience. My shop offers a 30 day return policy, and if I wasn't about to hock myself to the eyeballs with a new home loan, I would consider upping to a 2 or a 1. I'm quite happy.

  8. If you're on a budget, I'd be inclined to say get the OCR3 and then take the extra money you would've spent on the OCR2 and invest in some clipless pedals and shoes. In my opinion, they will make a bigger difference than the upgraded components the OCR2 has. You can always upgrade the components when you have some money later down the line.

    On the flip side, you can always get the OCR2 and then save up for some pedals/shoes, it comes down to what your priorities are.

  9. crb189 said:

    If you're on a budget, I'd be inclined to say get the OCR3 and then take the extra money you would've spent on the OCR2 and invest in some clipless pedals and shoes. In my opinion, they will make a bigger difference than the upgraded components the OCR2 has. You can always upgrade the components when you have some money later down the line.

    On the flip side, you can always get the OCR2 and then save up for some pedals/shoes, it comes down to what your priorities are.


    Hi! I agree with the OCR3 option, i did exactly that and now I'm having the time of my life!!! I got the best shoes and pedals i could afford, Sidi GEnius 4 and Exustar pedals and they work smoothly together. I'm happy with my purchases.
    I'm thinking of upgrading maybe after i save up some money for a carbon fork and Shimano 105 groupset.

    George

  10. I have an OCR 1 (2003 I believe) and I love it. It definitely has served it's purpose as a beginner bike. Not to mention the all-around 105 components. I just want in the store the other day and they do not have 105's all around anymore so that was pretty disappointing. I saw a great OCR 1 on Ebay for about $600, so keep checking there. Over all a great bike and no complaints here.

  11. OCR1's are absolutely fantastic. I have been commuting to work in Melbourne, Australia with mine for the last 11 months, and I have just passed 5,000km on the speedo. I commute 30km each day, 5 days a week - rain hail or shine and my blue 2004 OCR (Shimano 105) has taken it all in it's stride.

    This heavy riding/commuting is what they are designed for. It is still light enough to race even the fastest commuter on the bike trail, and I often get up to 55khp on the flat.

    In fact, I have just converted two of my nearby friends who also work into the city to purchase 2005 OCR1's and they now have been bitten by the bug and join me almost every day.

    OCR1's are also great for entry level racing in clubs at all levels, where they will provide you with bomb proof durability until you decide you need something a kilo or couple of pounds lighter for serious racing. OCR1's weigh approx 9 kilos or 22 pounds.

    I am very very happy with mine. Few tips, keep it serviced at least twice a year and gently hose off dirt, road grime with bio cleaners at least once a week. It is all in the preventative maintenance that will keep you riding the same bike for 10 years.

    You cannot go wrong with an OCR1.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.