Giant Perigee/ CRX

kiev

Aug 22, 2007
Hello just wondering if anyone has bought/ used a Giant Perigee and what they thought? Im thinking of getting one for a frequent commute on a pretty bumpy (but still made) road for about 6kms one way. Am also looking at the CRX 3- which is a lot cheaper but doesn't have the lock out fork and am thinking may not be as comfortable with the bumps. The old mountain bike ive been using has had its day.

Any comments any one has would be great thanks!

gclark8 said:
Both are robust bikes, I would use either.
However, the tyre choice would be inportant.
I suggest on either bike, Continental City Contact Tyres, in 700c X 32mm. ;)
http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/tires/city/citycontact/citycontact_en.html
Thanks for that - yep the standard on the Perigee 700 x 25, and with the CRX its 700 x 28. Im leaning before perigee cose of the added suspension but will know after giving them a go on the weekend.

gclark8 said:
Both are robust bikes, I would use either.
However, the tyre choice would be inportant.
I suggest on either bike, Continental City Contact Tyres, in 700c X 32mm. ;)
http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/tires/city/citycontact/citycontact_en.html
Am stilling thinking of the perigee after trying it out, but bit worried about the hybrid look- anyone consider it to be a 'girl's bike'?

here is the link: http://www.giantbicycles.net/en-AU/bikes/lifestyle/1136/28958/

The CRX 3 i have to wait to get in my size :-/

You may have seen this?It was posted by "OzieDave" in relation to my questions when I was considering buying a Perigee. Not sure how to link to the post here so I copied it.

"Buy the Giant Perigee. Top bike. I've brought mine late Dec 2006 and have covered over 6800 kays on it since. I have used it to ride across Australia (Sydney to Perth. 4801 kays in 30 days...) towing a bob yak trailer, daliy commuting to work (40kays/day), weekend blasts and have also completed the Munda biddi trail on it twice.
Very well set up bike for the price. I'm still using the orginal chain. The only thing that has broken is two spokes on the back wheel (which was my own fault for over tightening whilst towing the trailer..)
I use Continetal Ultra gator skin 700 x 23 tyres for the road and 700 x 42 MTB tyres for off road.
Bike handles the off road stuff very well. Great for long unsealed roads.Very fast on and off road. The only thing I have changed is the seat for a Giant comfort gel seat and upgraded the pedals to Shimano M545 SPD.
I looked at a lot of different bikes and it came down to two. The Giant and a Scott Sportster SP2... Brought the Giant for $1098 and never looked back"

I ended up with the CRX 4 basically because I am cheap (lol)

thepeddler said:
You may have seen this?It was posted by "OzieDave" in relation to my questions when I was considering buying a Perigee. Not sure how to link to the post here so I copied it.

I ended up with the CRX 4 basically because I am cheap (lol)
Thx for that peddler - looks like dave got a lot out of the perigee! I ended up going with the Perigee and it seems great so far. Got it for a discount at $1000. I also changed the seat.

i take it you guys were both happy with the CRXs? I was pretty close to getting the CRX3 but perigee just won out

No worries Kiev,

Sounds like you got a good deal there. The Giant CRX 4 is a really good bike. I am using it to commute to work as well as rides of a couple of hours usually on Sunday morning.

The only problem is that I am still being overtaken by those guys on the drop bar bikes. :mad: (lol)