Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Giant TCR Composite owners - Does you frame flex?

Started by zgo · · Last activity · 7 posts · 3,178 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
23 March 2004
Last activity
1 April 2004
Original author
zgo
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,178
Views / 30 days
16

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I just purchased a new Giant TCR 1 Composite after riding aluminum for the past few years. The reviews I read about the TCR rave about the frame's stiffness, but the frame seems to flex laterally much more than I expected. Definately more than my previous aluminum (Specialized) frame.

    Are there other TCR owners who have experienced the same thing? Did my bike shop assemble it correctly? Thanks.

    - Ben

  2. Not I, my TCR 2 (same frame as yours) is awsome in all aspects. Comfort is awsome, stiff as a sailer in a massage parlour and responive. Some of those aloy things where tanks, coming of one of those things you may be forgivin for thinking your Giant is flexing....but ive never heard anyone, even the detracters, call TCR's flexy

  3. i ride a medium i weigh 190lbs no frame flex here.😎

  4. I switched from a 2002 TCR 1 alloy to a 2003 TCR 1 composite.

    The ride is smoother on the composite and based on the complete lack of any chain rub on the front derailleur with the composite I think that is stiffer in the bottom bracket.

    Perhaps you are mistaking the smoother ride of the composite frame for flex. Its not flex it is just the ride characteristic of the carbon frame.

  5. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Fixey
    Not I, my TCR 2 (same frame as yours) is awsome in all aspects. Comfort is awsome, stiff as a sailer in a massage parlour and responive. Some of those aloy things where tanks, coming of one of those things you may be forgivin for thinking your Giant is flexing....but ive never heard anyone, even the detracters, call TCR's flexy

    Thanks for the feedback.... After riding the bike a few more times the "flex" I am experiencing seems to originate in the fork or headtube. The frame itself is definately stiff. Your TCR 2 has an alloy steerer tube (vs carbon in my TCR 1), so perhaps the alloy is stiffer. I also have a fair amount of steerer tube showing between the top of my headset and my stem, so mayb ethis is causing more flex than usual.

  6. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by zgo
    Thanks for the feedback.... After riding the bike a few more times the "flex" I am experiencing seems to originate in the fork or headtube. The frame itself is definately stiff. Your TCR 2 has an alloy steerer tube (vs carbon in my TCR 1), so perhaps the alloy is stiffer. I also have a fair amount of steerer tube showing between the top of my headset and my stem, so mayb ethis is causing more flex than usual.


    Just out of curiousity, how much space do you have beteen top of steer tube and stem? LBS told me that 3 cm (<1.25"😉 was max for cf tubes. I have also seen posted that you want no more space than the diamater of the tube (1.125"😉.

  7. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by temoore
    Just out of curiousity, how much space do you have beteen top of steer tube and stem? LBS told me that 3 cm (<1.25"😉 was max for cf tubes. I have also seen posted that you want no more space than the diamater of the tube (1.125"😉.

    I've got just under 2 inches showing. Based on your post, it seems this might be the source of the problem. I plan on cutting the tube this weekend, so hopefully the problem will go away. Thanks again for following up...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.