rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Gloves for trials-all the time?

Started by teachndad · · Last activity · 11 posts · 277 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
10 December 2005
Last activity
12 December 2005
Original author
teachndad
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
277
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I went out for a short ride this morning to ride on some downed
    telephone poles. The temp was cool at @ 60 degrees:eek:. My hands
    were chapped, so I put on my x-country skiing gloves under my
    harbingers.

    I "played" for about 30 minutes and heated up and then decided to
    remove the gloves.

    I started back after a short break and found that riding felt all
    awkward and I didn't feel as connected to the MUni. It was really
    strange. Despite the heat they produce I dawned them once again. My
    edge came back. The grip to the seat just felt stronger. I guess
    that's why some football receivers wear gloves.

    Made me think that I might want to wear gloves all the time, but in
    Southern California, the summers get over 100. So, I started to wonder
    if there are any riders that ride with gloves all the time.

    Anyone out there ride trials with gloves all the time? If so, I will
    take recommendations. The heat issue and wear and tear is a big issue
    for me.
    I also need to fit them under my Harbingers. I've already tried the Kh
    Pulse gloves, but I felt they didn't offer enough wrist protection with
    the wrap support, so I would need full fingered gloves that fit under
    the Harbingers.

    Cheers.

    --
    teachndad

    Rod Wylie

    'MountainUnicyclingLA.com' (http://www.mountainunicyclingla.com)
    'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Greater-Los-Angeles-Trails)
    'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
    (http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)
    'UnicycleRoundupLA.com/' (http://unicycleroundupla.com/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45298

  2. I wear full fingered 661 gloves all the time for muni and trials. For
    safety and for grip. They are vented for summer and you get used to
    them.

    --
    Seager

    'Team RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Moab'
    (http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Seager's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8840
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45298

  3. I don't do trials, but when I ride MUni or cross country, I always wear
    wrist protectors.

    I once had a high speed spill on my Coker and peeled the palms of my
    gloves back as far as the wrists. That was what prompted me to buy
    wrist guards.

    You get more feedback if your finger tips are in direct contact with
    the seat front/handle. You get more protection if your palms have a
    big wodge of plastic between them and the road.

    --
    Mikefule

    "Freedom cannot be won without sacrifice. If you set a high value on
    her, everything else must be be valued at little."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mikefule's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/879
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45298

  4. i wore gloves all the time before i lost my right glove =(
    i used some fox gloves. i think they are called raptors or something.
    but now that i lost one i dont where the other one anymore. thats what
    christmas presents are for.. right?

    --
    manon1wheel

    Riley Crosby

    getting better... lvl 5 unicyclist
    -.- T1me to overthrow most replies!!-.-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45298

  5. I wear a bright yellow full body condom at all times when riding trials.
    That helps me to blend in.

    Actually, I always use gloves riding MUni or trials because I blister
    my hands otherwise. We are cursed with no real summer in the Pacific
    Northwest so it doesn't ever really get hot (or, not hot like your
    bikini clad uni by the pool.) So in the summer I pay with warm, sweaty
    hands but am spared the blisters. The real killer anywhere is the leg
    armor.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    *jc is the only main man. there can be no other.*

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    harper's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/426
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45298

  6. I wear some sort of hand/wrist protection on every single ride. For
    about 95% of those rides, it's the full-fingered KH Pulse gloves. I
    especially like them for trials, because with half-fingered gloves I
    tend to get cut up on my fingers from the handle-pulling when I hop.
    The front edge of my velo handle is a bit scuffed up, and grates after
    a while.

    The only time I don't wear the KHs is when I know I'm going to be
    taking a bunch of pictures. Then I'll wear my half-fingered Harbinger
    wrist-wrap gloves. These give more wrist protection than the KH
    gloves, but with fingers free I can manipulate the controls on my
    camera without having to remove the right glove. The downside of the
    Harbingers is that the hard plate across the palm can get in the way
    when handle-grabbing.

    --
    tomblackwood

    Tailgate at your own risk...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tomblackwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3762
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45298

  7. Here in Brisbane summers get over 100 degrees fahrenheit at times while
    always being very humid. I always wear gloves when riding and the heat
    doesn't bother me at all. I feel much more confident and comfortable
    with them on. To me, they're more important than a helmet, which I
    also (usually 😉) wear. All of my gloves have worn out quickly, but
    you can continue wearing them for quite a while after they've developed
    holes. I think there are 4 or 5 pairs lying around the house...I can
    rarely find a match though.

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter

    ...well that's what i think anyway.
    *'unicycling tips and tutorials' (http://www.unicycle.2ya.com) |
    'my photos and videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/andrew) |
    '\\"dancing about architecture\\"'
    (http://www.dancingaboutarchitecture.com.au)*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    andrew_carter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1052
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45298

  8. I wear half-fingered Harbinger wrist protectors during any MUni. I
    don't even know how much grip I have without them. Heat? Doing MUni in
    the summer I run hot anyways.

    harper said:

    We are cursed with no real summer in the Pacific
    Northwest so it doesn't ever really get hot (or, not hot like your
    bikini clad uni by the pool.)

    I'll take the bait. How did you make 'that' photo then?

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    "erectile function trumps public image - David Stone, commenting on the importance of seat comfort"

  9. I ride trail, and I always wear full-fingered gloves. It's now getting
    colder outside, so that's part of the reason. Another part of it is
    that the front handle of my seat has roughened up quite a bit from
    being dropped a lot, and gloves fix that. Another aspect is that when
    you fall, you WILL fall on your hands. One hand - gravel encounter
    without gloves was enough for me to almost glue the gloves to my
    hands...

    --
    Erant

    Live free, prosper, and under my rule.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Erant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9986
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45298

  10. Erant said:

    I ride trail

    Just to be sure, do you mean "trials"? (I think you do.)

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    "erectile function trumps public image - David Stone, commenting on the importance of seat comfort"

  11. Klaas Bil said:
    Erant said:

    I ride trail

    Just to be sure, do you mean "trials"? (I think you do.)

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    "erectile function trumps public image - David Stone, commenting on the
    importance of seat comfort"

    Whoops, my mind sometimes works too fast for my fingers, which then
    consequently manage to change words or entire sentences... This can
    (and sometimes does) create embarrassing situations.

    --
    Erant

    Live free, prosper, and under my rule.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Erant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9986
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45298

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.